how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rickshaw

join:2012-01-25
Calgary, AB

[AB] Got Shaw BB50 trial last night, download speed was super ba

Shaw installer came last night to install modem/wireless router. Tried downloading several 2GB ISO from Microsoft site and download speed were terrible! I still have my Telus HS15 and downloading the same files (one at a time download to test speed), I get around 1300 kbps, but with BB50 from Shaw starts from 10 kbps then climb up to around 600 kbps. I called Shaw support (which took about 45 min. to actually talk to a person) and was told that everything is good on their side. The guy was saying that it might have to do with the routing of the server. But I tried downloading from other website (downloaded ISO from different Linux distribution websites) and result was consistent. Shaw download speed was bad!

Anyone know that I can do to speed this up?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Rick..

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

Re: [AB] Got Shaw BB50 trial last night, download speed was supe

What speeds are you getting at speedtest.net and speedtest.shaw.ca?

rickshaw

Calgary, AB

I will have to do that tonight and will post it here.

Thanks,

Rick..

ravenchilde

I would also suggest having your Shaw provided modem/router unit put into bridged mode, and plugging your own router into it.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Or even direct to your computer to test.

Chucks Truck

@teksavvy.com
reply to rickshaw

Cable internet speeds seem to be loused up everywhere in Canada. I've yet to find the problem other than the cheapskate approach of the Canadian isp's. It looks like the entire Canadian backbone needs a complete overhaul. This problem does not exist in the rest of the world. In the rest of the world speeds at peak time between 7 and 9 pm do not fall off one iota.

ravenchilde

said by Chucks Truck :

Cable internet speeds seem to be loused up everywhere in Canada. I've yet to find the problem other than the cheapskate approach of the Canadian isp's. It looks like the entire Canadian backbone needs a complete overhaul. This problem does not exist in the rest of the world. In the rest of the world speeds at peak time between 7 and 9 pm do not fall off one iota.

Yeah... talk to a Comcast (or insert US ISP) or British Telecom customer...

hrmmmmmm

@shawcable.net
reply to rickshaw

probably won't apply to you but I had fickle, but fairly slow bb 50 speeds for months on end. I just gave up and accepted it a long time ago.

last week my mobo broke and I bought a new asus one with an intel nic built in.

My speeds went from 2000 - 3500 KB/s to 5800 - 6000 KB/s at all times of the day with Astraweb.

before I had a dlink nic card

SpongeGuard

join:2009-08-09
Port Alberni, BC
reply to Chucks Truck

said by Chucks Truck :

Have you ever actually used internet in the US? Their entire infrastructure is screwed. I've had far better experiences here

rickshaw

Calgary, AB

Shaw installed a Cisco wireless router/cable modem. I turned off the wireless and firewall of the box and directly connected my main PC. Still the same after doing all that. On average I can see about 500 to 600 kbps. There were odd times 2x or 3x that the download was 2Mbps and that was it.

I am kind of disappointed with the BB50. I was expecting a defining difference between that any my existing Telus HS15.

Oh btw, speed test (speedtest.net) was impressive but that is about it. Actual download from websites were not impressive.

Is this what I should expect from BB50? Might as well stay with my Telus HS15, its a lot cheaper too!

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by rickshaw:

Shaw installed a Cisco wireless router/cable modem. I turned off the wireless and firewall of the box and directly connected my main PC. Still the same after doing all that. On average I can see about 500 to 600 kbps. There were odd times 2x or 3x that the download was 2Mbps and that was it.

I am kind of disappointed with the BB50. I was expecting a defining difference between that any my existing Telus HS15.

Oh btw, speed test (speedtest.net) was impressive but that is about it. Actual download from websites were not impressive.

Is this what I should expect from BB50? Might as well stay with my Telus HS15, its a lot cheaper too!

What website are you downloading from. I have no trouble Saturating my link

rickshaw

Calgary, AB

I tried downloading from Microsoft websites, downloading trial products in ISO format. Also tried downloading from different Linux flavour websites, ie. Linux Mint, etc.

ravenchilde

reply to rickshaw

said by rickshaw:

If the speedtests are successful, then the service is successful. Shaw is not responsible for the speeds available off websites they do not control. They are giving you a 50 mbps pipe to the internet, but as for what sites on the internet make available to you...

Services like Newgroups that use multiple connections are better. Some folks recommend browser addons that make multiple connections, like "downthemall" and such.

CR123

join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC

said by ravenchilde:

If the speedtests are successful, then the service is successful. Shaw is not responsible for the speeds available off websites they do not control. They are giving you a 50 mbps pipe to the internet, but as for what sites on the internet make available to you...

Uh, yes and no. The OP states that a 15Mbps service is outperforming a 50Mbps service on the same downloads.

So it's likely something's up, right?
--
- The content of this post is my opinion, and does not reflect the opinions of my employer. -

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by CR123:

said by ravenchilde:

Uh, yes and no. The OP states that a 15Mbps service is outperforming a 50Mbps service on the same downloads.

Yeah the OP has no control over the servers that are sending him the data. Sorry but as long as The connection speedtest's are decent there isnt anything for shaw to do.

ravenchilde

reply to CR123

said by CR123:

said by ravenchilde:

If speedtest.net and speedtest.shaw.ca show the bandwidth is there, then who knows what is going on with remote servers on the internet.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to rickshaw

You turned off the wireless and the firewall,

Did you have the modem put in bridge mode, to turn off all Layer 3 functions?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to ravenchilde

That's the kind of mentality that I hate about most ISP's. Speedtests don't mean squat when troubleshooting speed issues. I might as well do a speedtest on my LAN (/sarcasm). If two ISP's are giving two different results, then I suspect the ISP to be having some issues with routing. At that point, fire off a few emails to SJRB and have them look into it.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 6GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

ravenchilde

said by XT0RT:

That's the kind of mentality that I hate about most ISP's. Speedtests don't mean squat when troubleshooting speed issues. I might as well do a speedtest on my LAN (/sarcasm). If two ISP's are giving two different results, then I suspect the ISP to be having some issues with routing. At that point, fire off a few emails to SJRB and have them look into it.

If you can find different results on two ISPs then it might be a peering/transit issue. That's a good add to the topic. It can be worth it to check with friends.

I have to say that everything is about experience and expectations. All the activities I use Shaw for are blazing fast, thus I am happy.

To be fair: I haven't used DSL for 10 years.

To be honest: I couldn't see myself going back to less than 50 mbps. If you haven't tried BB50, I think you should, for at least a month. Just see what it's like.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to rickshaw

Hey rickshaw,

Have you tried bridge mode yet? Please contact me via PM and we'll have another set of eye's take a look at your connection.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB
reply to ravenchilde

said by ravenchilde:

said by XT0RT:

If you can find different results on two ISPs then it might be a peering/transit issue. That's a good add to the topic. It can be worth it to check with friends.

I have to say that everything is about experience and expectations. All the activities I use Shaw for are blazing fast, thus I am happy.

To be fair: I haven't used DSL for 10 years.

To be honest: I couldn't see myself going back to less than 50 mbps. If you haven't tried BB50, I think you should, for at least a month. Just see what it's like.

I have been using BB50 for the past 6 months or more.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 6GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional SP1

ravenchilde

And how do you like it?!?!

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB
reply to rickshaw

Node congestion is starting to become an issue. There are times where I will get 4.5-5.1 MB/s down, and there are times where I can't get over 2.5 MB/s down.

A friend of mine who works for installs/digital revamp told me that there is a noise problem in my area, but it can't be tracked down.
--

TJ

@shawcable.net

I have been having issues since day one... I had Nitro "back in the day" and was showing results of apprx 68 Mbps/sec. Now that they changed the plan to broadband 100 im getting 4 Mbps to 24 Mbps.... what the @#$%^. I have had 7 tech's come out, 4 modem swaps and have called the help line over 50 times "no joke"... Willing to pay for the service, however can't get it! Crazy i live in a new area between langley and Surrey... would have thought it work. Well i guess i would rather pay Telus and get a for sure 25 Mbps.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

@TJ - I could have another set of eyes look into your connection issues if you'd like. Register on the site and pm me your account details, i'll take a look.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

d33pa

@shawcable.net
reply to TJ

said by TJ :

I have been having issues since day one... I had Nitro "back in the day" and was showing results of apprx 68 Mbps/sec. Now that they changed the plan to broadband 100 im getting 4 Mbps to 24 Mbps.... what the @#$%^. I have had 7 tech's come out, 4 modem swaps and have called the help line over 50 times "no joke"... Willing to pay for the service, however can't get it! Crazy i live in a new area between langley and Surrey... would have thought it work. Well i guess i would rather pay Telus and get a for sure 25 Mbps.

I am in the fleetwood/tynhead area and got the BB50 from Shaw. Been busy so haven't really been able to test its limits. Sad to say, my connection of the so called BB50 mbps is pitiful. Talked to Shaw tech, he said there is noise in the line and have an appointment for tech to come fix it.. seeing your post, I think I will be very disappointed with the outcome since it seems we are close to the same area of between langley and surrey.

cisco router is in bridged mode, with port 1 and port 2 as individual ip addresses. sonicwall on one and cisco router on the other. both same slow and inconsistent speeds.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

@d33pa - If there's level issues like the tech mentioned, that would most likely be the cause of your problems. Let us know after the service call what speeds you're getting while being directly connected to the modem.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Winger

@yyc.com

@Shaw_Sean,

I need to put my router in bridge mode and then use my Airport Extreme to handle my DHCP addresses. How do I configure the Shaw router for bridge mode only?

Thanks!

JW

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

To get the modem into bridge mode (disable router completely) I'd just hop onto chat and get one of our eCare folks to help you out.

»shaw.ca/chat

That would be the quickest way.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Winger

@shawcable.net

Thanks @ShawSean,

I had someone at eCare put the router in bridge mode and confirm that I have 2 IP addresses this afternoon. I have a Vonage VOIP box plugged into port #4 and my Airport Extreme in port #1 of the SMC unit.

Then I configured the Airport Extreme to get it's own address with DHCP, and use DHCP and NAT for all devices in my network. I added a DHCP reservation for my workstation and added VNC port mapping to allow my iPad and laptop to use a VNC client to view and control my workstation from outside the home network.

Everything is working great and seems much more stable now. Speeds are still above 55 Mbps according to speedtest.shaw.ca during peak hours (I have BB100).

Thanks for your help!

JW