XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to ravenchilde

Re: [AB] Got Shaw BB50 trial last night, download speed was supe

said by ravenchilde:

said by XT0RT:

That's the kind of mentality that I hate about most ISP's. Speedtests don't mean squat when troubleshooting speed issues. I might as well do a speedtest on my LAN (/sarcasm). If two ISP's are giving two different results, then I suspect the ISP to be having some issues with routing. At that point, fire off a few emails to SJRB and have them look into it.

If you can find different results on two ISPs then it might be a peering/transit issue. That's a good add to the topic. It can be worth it to check with friends.

I have to say that everything is about experience and expectations. All the activities I use Shaw for are blazing fast, thus I am happy.

To be fair: I haven't used DSL for 10 years.

To be honest: I couldn't see myself going back to less than 50 mbps. If you haven't tried BB50, I think you should, for at least a month. Just see what it's like.

I have been using BB50 for the past 6 months or more.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 6GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

And how do you like it?!?!

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to rickshaw

Node congestion is starting to become an issue. There are times where I will get 4.5-5.1 MB/s down, and there are times where I can't get over 2.5 MB/s down.

A friend of mine who works for installs/digital revamp told me that there is a noise problem in my area, but it can't be tracked down.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 6GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

TJ

@shawcable.net

I have been having issues since day one... I had Nitro "back in the day" and was showing results of apprx 68 Mbps/sec. Now that they changed the plan to broadband 100 im getting 4 Mbps to 24 Mbps.... what the @#$%^. I have had 7 tech's come out, 4 modem swaps and have called the help line over 50 times "no joke"... Willing to pay for the service, however can't get it! Crazy i live in a new area between langley and Surrey... would have thought it work. Well i guess i would rather pay Telus and get a for sure 25 Mbps.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12

@TJ - I could have another set of eyes look into your connection issues if you'd like. Register on the site and pm me your account details, i'll take a look.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

d33pa

@shawcable.net
reply to TJ

said by TJ :

I have been having issues since day one... I had Nitro "back in the day" and was showing results of apprx 68 Mbps/sec. Now that they changed the plan to broadband 100 im getting 4 Mbps to 24 Mbps.... what the @#$%^. I have had 7 tech's come out, 4 modem swaps and have called the help line over 50 times "no joke"... Willing to pay for the service, however can't get it! Crazy i live in a new area between langley and Surrey... would have thought it work. Well i guess i would rather pay Telus and get a for sure 25 Mbps.

I am in the fleetwood/tynhead area and got the BB50 from Shaw. Been busy so haven't really been able to test its limits. Sad to say, my connection of the so called BB50 mbps is pitiful. Talked to Shaw tech, he said there is noise in the line and have an appointment for tech to come fix it.. seeing your post, I think I will be very disappointed with the outcome since it seems we are close to the same area of between langley and surrey.

cisco router is in bridged mode, with port 1 and port 2 as individual ip addresses. sonicwall on one and cisco router on the other. both same slow and inconsistent speeds.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

@d33pa - If there's level issues like the tech mentioned, that would most likely be the cause of your problems. Let us know after the service call what speeds you're getting while being directly connected to the modem.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Winger

@yyc.com

@Shaw_Sean,

I need to put my router in bridge mode and then use my Airport Extreme to handle my DHCP addresses. How do I configure the Shaw router for bridge mode only?

Thanks!

JW

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

To get the modem into bridge mode (disable router completely) I'd just hop onto chat and get one of our eCare folks to help you out.

»shaw.ca/chat

That would be the quickest way.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Winger

@shawcable.net

Thanks @ShawSean,

I had someone at eCare put the router in bridge mode and confirm that I have 2 IP addresses this afternoon. I have a Vonage VOIP box plugged into port #4 and my Airport Extreme in port #1 of the SMC unit.

Then I configured the Airport Extreme to get it's own address with DHCP, and use DHCP and NAT for all devices in my network. I added a DHCP reservation for my workstation and added VNC port mapping to allow my iPad and laptop to use a VNC client to view and control my workstation from outside the home network.

Everything is working great and seems much more stable now. Speeds are still above 55 Mbps according to speedtest.shaw.ca during peak hours (I have BB100).

Thanks for your help!

JW

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

No problem Winger, good to hear things are stable and working properly.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

JSaq

join:2012-01-17
reply to Winger

@Winger, I have the same gear, the cisco 3825 DOCSIS modem, and have had real slow speed at peak hours (less than 1MBPS on a BB50 line). So did you have similar issues with speed ? And did the bridge mode help? Shaw tech told me there's network congestion in my area, and they will (in the indefinite future) do a systems upgrade, but not in a few months. Which means around 8pm, Internet comes to a crawl. I'm wondering if doing what you did helped with the speed, because if it did, then I would be game to try it out and see.

Btw, can the bridge mode be "undone", if need be?

Thanks,
-JSaq

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

@JSaq - Yes, it can be "undone" as easy as it's "done" - now that just sounds odd.

It's worth a shot JSaq, let us know if it helps.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Winger

@yyc.com
reply to JSaq

@JSaq, I do notice that my network is more stable and my speeds are slightly higher. I was averaging 50+ Mbps before, now I am closer to 60 and reach the high 80's off-peak hours. Configuring port-forwarding was a breeze with this setup too (very easy to find articles on how-to with the Airport Extreme).

Good luck!

JSaq

reply to ShawSean

@ShawSean, will try out with the chat tech and see how it goes. Will let you know.

JSaq

reply to Winger

Thanks @Winger. Will let you know what happens.

Btw, How did you get two IP addresses? Is that standard for BB100? I mean, these are external IP addresses right?

said by Winger :

@JSaq, I do notice that my network is more stable and my speeds are slightly higher. I was averaging 50+ Mbps before, now I am closer to 60 and reach the high 80's off-peak hours. Configuring port-forwarding was a breeze with this setup too (very easy to find articles on how-to with the Airport Extreme).

Good luck!

Winger

@shawcable.net

@JSaq, just ask them for a second external IP and they will configure that for you. By default you get one, I believe. At least it was for me.