spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Savillian

join:2003-11-22
reply to HiVolt

Re: Anyone have a photo of the Telecon POTS filter/splitter?

No need to strip anything off. These strip it for you, push down insert and release then wiggle side to side a bit to ensure a good connection!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to alienzzz

said by alienzzz:

The one (actually two) installed at my place look like this.

Those aren't a whole house filter like the corning, but simply a microfilter built into a wallplate, hence you need one for every single jack.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by HiVolt:

Those aren't a whole house filter like the corning, but simply a microfilter built into a wallplate, hence you need one for every single jack.

Unless that jack is the first one after the demarc and other jacks are daisy-chained off its filter... but those demarc-jack type installs usually have a plate with jumper cable and a "telco" jack on a side to easily disconnect the rest of the house/apartment.

vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to theboyk

said by theboyk:

Thanks for the photo. I have solid Cat5e running to where they need to install this. I assume Telecon can crimp the heads as required? They going to have issues crimping solid Cat5e?

I know these questions will get answered eventually, but since I'm now 7 hours into my second botched install (Bell already missed their noon-5 window, Telecon has 2 hours left in their 9 hour window), figured I'd kill some time posting here...

The Corning POTS splitter in Merovingian's picture uses RJ-11's. You can also use the push connectors on the side, if desired. I have my incoming line and the telephone outputs on the push connectors, and the modem's plugged in.

The one shown in alienzzz's picture I think is made by Siecor. If I'm not wrong. Corning bought them out. Screw terminals on the back of that one.

vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Agreed. I like the Corning one with the push pins & 3 RJ-11's better. Does the whole house. Installed where the telephone line comes into the residence. It also stops the house wiring from acting as an antenna.

G1dd1ty

@teksavvy.com
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I'm pretty sure they're just standard push contacts, and I don't think they have "teeth" in them to bite down into the wire thru the insulation to make contact.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

I've installed more than a few of these filters. Like everything else that bell uses, these terminals are of the IDC variety. No stripping necessary.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

Here's an excerpt from the pdf that Guspaz posted above...
~~~~~
The Universal ADSL/VDSL Indoor POTS Splitter
supports RJ-11 preconnected line cords for the voice
and line input jack and an RJ-45 preconnected line
cord for the data jack. The compact indoor splitter has
various input options, including tool-less, spring-clip
terminal blocks, phone jacks or a combination wiring of
the terminal block in conjunction with the phone jack.
~~~~~

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by alienzzz:

The one (actually two) installed at my place look like this.

Basically, this is the first jack that comes off after the Demarc. It got installed in my new condo by Bell when I first ordered 5 mbit dsl from TSI. He placed it at the very first jack inside a storage closet (there was no phone jack there, just a wall plate covering the phone wires, so not sure why he placed it there) and told me to connect the modem at the first jack inside the living room (so not the same location or even the same filtered jack that he just installed.).

After I upgraded to 10 MBit, the Telcon guy installed the second one of those at the jack where I was connecting the modem before, inside the living room. Hence, now I have two of them. I still think they are useless, especially considering that I don't have POTS phone, but I suppose they had to justify the $99 fee somehow.

I don't feel like opening them up to see how they are wired inside... it works, so "if it ain't broken don't fix it" rule applies.

dgass

join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to theboyk

Click for full size
Click for full size
The white cable is a CAT3 self crimped cable running to the Modem. The gray wire is the one back feeding the 2 jacks with phones on them. I will this weekend crimp a new short CAT3 cable for the back feed. The gray cable looks silly.

This is a condo btw.

The new jack the tech installed is maginally smaller then the origianl hence the paint lines.

Hope this helps.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to alienzzz

said by alienzzz:

Basically, this is the first jack that comes off after the Demarc. It got installed in my new condo by Bell when I first ordered 5 mbit dsl from TSI. He placed it at the very first jack inside a storage closet (there was no phone jack there, just a wall plate covering the phone wires, so not sure why he placed it there)

Your condo's phone wiring riser likely runs through the closet's wall and Bell's tech simply put the jack there to provide a user-accessible test point... a 2nd demarc.

EdT

join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC
reply to theboyk

What is the purpose of this splitter, why do people need it ?
I seen them for $0.99 at local community stores here in Montreal.

theboyk

join:2004-10-04
Toronto, ON

Thanks to everyone for all the info — much appreciated!

SHARPSHARK

join:2002-05-10
reply to theboyk

So, it just works like the DSL filters, right? Instead of being installed at each phone jacks, the filter is installed at the demarc. Am I correct?

If I just have a dry loop and no phone line, I wouldn't need this filter, right?
--
SHARPSHARK

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I'm pretty sure they're just standard push contacts, and I don't think they have "teeth" in them to bite down into the wire thru the insulation to make contact.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Back in the token ring days we called them Vampire taps.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

CliqueofOne

join:2003-08-22
Brantford, ON
reply to theboyk

If anyone knows for certain where I'd be able to purchase this POTS Splitter in southwestern Ontario, »catalog2.corning.com/CorningCabl···1-EN.pdf

Please feel free to share the information.

Kev

@teksavvy.com

We had our NID replaced, Bell added the ADSL2/VDSL2/IPTV splitter in there.

Similar to this:

»www.tiinetworktechnologies.com/r···0108.pdf

»www.tiinetworktechnologies.com/r···0411.pdf

Try here (is it old technology ADSL not ADSL2/VDSL2/IPTV):
Wilcom ADSL Master PS-15-13 POTS Splitter
etool.ca EfstonScience Inc. Dufferin/401 area

This looks newer:
»www.tsoc.ca/info.asp?Key=2597
TII TELCO GRADE VDSL2/ADSL2+, IPTV POTS SPLITTER

gslice

join:2005-02-18
GTA, ON

2 edits
reply to TwiztedZero

I have one of these CORNING pots-splitter Bell installed.
I get 27db Line Attenuation from my room where the modem is (50ft away). When I plug the modem directly into the RJ11 jack of the pots-splitter using the same cable, I only get 29db Line Attenuation.

Why would there be a drop in quality being closer and jacked right in?