spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

toughguy69

join:2009-06-02
Flushing, NY

Vonage Motorola VT2142 and Netgear WNR3500L

Vonage Motorola VT2142 and Netgear WNR3500L, i need to learn on how to make the changes so that i can "Login" to the Vonage page from my netgear router.

this is my hookup so far.Blue port on Vonage adapter into port on netgear router, thats it. computer plugged into router also, can access router login page but not Vonage page. if possible please explain in laymans terms on how to correct this, thank you.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Business..
·Cingular Wireless

3 edits
said by toughguy69:

Vonage Motorola VT2142 and Netgear WNR3500L, i need to learn on how to make the changes so that i can "Login" to the Vonage page from my netgear router.

this is my hookup so far.Blue port on Vonage adapter into port on netgear router, thats it. computer plugged into router also, can access router login page but not Vonage page. if possible please explain in laymans terms on how to correct this, thank you.

I have the VT2442, and this is how I do it:

FWIW, my VT2442's WAN is connected to an SMC router instead of a Netgear router (as shown in the image below), but the principle is the same. I can access my VT2442 through it's WAN interface from my LAN using the url "http://192.168.10.11:8008" I also setup port forwarding in my SMC router, and setup the DynDNS client in the VT2442, so that I can I can access my VT2442 using a url like "http://my-vt2442.dyndns-ip.com:8008" (not the real url) from the internet.

You may notice in the above network diagram, that my VT2442 does have a LAN connection to my RV082 router, but that is only there for emergency maintenance and that particular LAN port is normally disabled in my RV082 just in case a Vonage firmware or config update resets my VT2442 and turns on its DHCP server (this has happened in the past, and I would never allow a Vonage router's LAN interface to be connected to my own LAN for that reason).

Below is a screen shot of where I setup the DynDNS client. If you do decide to make your VT2142 visible on the internet, make sure that you change the VT2142's admin username from the default value, and also use a non-dictionary password.

EDIT:
You will of course, need to temporarily connect a PC to the VT2142's LAN to set this up, and you will need to use IP addresses that are relevant to your network.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

toughguy69

Flushing, NY
thanks, i think i got this one, i need to give the vonage adapter an ip address so i can connect to it from the netgear?

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Business..
·Cingular Wireless
said by toughguy69:

thanks, i think i got this one, i need to give the vonage adapter an ip address so i can connect to it from the netgear?

Yes, that is partially correct. The VT2142 already will have a WAN IP address that has been provided by your Netgear router, but you just don't necessarily know what it is (and with DHCP, it can change). If your Netgear router is capable of doing DHCP reservations, you can continue to use DHCP in the Vonage router, and just give it a reserved IP address in the Netgear router's DHCP server setup. I used to do just that, and here is a screen shot of the DHCP reservation setup in my Netgear WNR1000v2 (the highlighted entry is for my VT2442). I don't currently use my Netgear router as a DHCP server or as a router (it is currently only being used as a wireless access point), but I preserved the setup just in case I should need to revert (I am a big fan of redundancy and backups).:

Don't forget however, that you will first need to go into the VT2142 setup from its LAN interface and enable Remote Web Access, or you still will not be able to control it, or see its status from its WAN interface.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

toughguy69

Flushing, NY
CHRIST, i still dont quite understand this. i dont know why. i set the ip in the vonage adapter to the ip"s of the netgear router..what i am i missing??

toughguy69

Flushing, NY
reply to toughguy69
does it make a difference if i am using ATT U-Verse as the internet provider

toughguy69

Flushing, NY

1 edit
reply to toughguy69
GOT IT, thank you so much for your help...