All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sundrop74
join:2012-01-25

sundrop74

Terrible Image Quality

I noticed a few weeks ago that images accessed through my Millenicom/Verizon service are being degraded considerably. After doing some research online, I found that VZW is "optimizing" images and video to reduce the demand on their network. I also found one website that explained the practice and included sample images (I am not sure if I can link to it here because of spam rules).

I have a CradlePoint router so that I can use my laptops on wifi. I have tried plugging the USB modem directly into each computer, but I still have the image problem. I have even tried accessing the images on my phone directly through my local Verizon tower and the pictures are degraded considerably. I believe I have ruled out the possibility of it being hardware related.

I contacted Millenicom via email to explain the problem. I even included images accessed here and through AT&T at work. The difference is quite noticeable. Millenicom contacted VZW to make sure they weren't throttling my account or that any problems had been reported with my local tower. Millenicom then reset my modem and told me to call in if I still noticed a problem.

After coming here and not seeing any posts from others about network optimization, I am curious why I seem to be one of a small group that has even noticed. The degradation in quality is very pronounced. Product images on Amazon and eBay are quite grainy, and it is very hard to pick out detail. Images on Flickr and Google Photos do not seem to be degraded. I am assuming VZW recognizes they are dedicated to photography and have made an exception.

I find this practice to be unacceptable. I manage several websites, and I need to be able to see exactly what the end user will see while creating images for display online. I also think it is unfair to give someone a watered-down, lower quality connection just because your network is overloaded.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? What should I do at this point?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Move somewhere there is FiOS or Cable. You are expecting something that wireless was never intended to provide. The carriers have to take steps to provide a reasonable system to all of it's subscribers not just a few with special needs. There are millions of smart phones out there now using a finite amount of bandwidth.
sundrop74

1 recommendation

sundrop74

I disagree. I have even read articles online recently stating 4G networks will be the future method of choice for delivering data. The argument is it will be much easier to upgrade a tower and blanket a large area than run miles of new cable. If mobile broadband becomes the standard, are we supposed to just expect lower quality?

Anyway, I am more interested in finding out if other Millinicom/VZW users are experiencing the same thing. At least that way I will know whether or not it can be fixed.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

We often send large photoshop files to online commercial printers and art sites. They have never complained of image degradation after receiving them. To Verizon it is just data, whether photos or documents. I've never had a problem with it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Same with me. I've sent high resolution pics to Walmart for printing and never had a problem
sundrop74

sundrop74 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
I don't think images attached and sent through email would be degraded. I have only seen this in images accessed through the browser while viewing web pages. The sample image I sent to Millenicom support was 28k when viewed with AT&T DSL and downsized to 6k when viewed with Millenicom. That's a pretty substantial difference.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

do you have an example on a website?
sundrop74

sundrop74

Yes. Am I allowed to post links here?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to sundrop74

Premium Member

to sundrop74
Here's a 1.42 Mb pic. How does it look to you?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to sundrop74

to sundrop74
yes, you are
Jim_in_VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
looks sharp to me Jack, even you're hairy arm
sundrop74

sundrop74 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
I just posted the links, but my post isn't showing up. Do I have to upgrade to premium or something?

The image you posted is only 138 kb on my computer and very pixelated (after enlarging and right-clicking to save).
sundrop74

1 edit

sundrop74 to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
It looks very pixelated to me, even when enlarged. The size on my computer is 138 kb.

I'm linking to the webpage I manage for my church. The image of my pastor is the one I mentioned earlier that was resized from 28 kb to 6 kb.

(link removed for privacy reasons)

I have another example here:

»www.anotherpartofme.com/ ··· quality/

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

grobinette to sundrop74

MVM,

to sundrop74
No you are okay, new members can't post links without mod approval because of all the spammers. Nothing personal.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to sundrop74

to sundrop74
If I right click the image of your pastor and select info, it shows as 27.9 kb ...it does not resize it to 6 kb for me and is a JPEG of 240px x 320 px

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to sundrop74

Premium Member

to sundrop74
Here's a pic sent through Verizon. The first was Sprint
sundrop74

sundrop74

Still 138 kb. My connection is obviously either trottled or optimized. I have posted more links, but am waiting for it to be approved by the mods.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

If I right click the image of your pastor and select info, it shows as 27.9 kb ...it does not resize it to 6 kb for me and is a JPEG of 240px x 320 px

Same with me
27.79 KB (28,452 bytes)
240px × 320px
sundrop74

2 edits

sundrop74

via AT&T

via Millenicom
I deleted the images of my pastor for privacy reasons. Here are a couple of other sample images. Notice the difference in file size and quality.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

That's strange. Are you sure it's not something with your computer?

The second rose I posted I sent from my computer (Sprint) via email to my wife's computer(Verizon) and then posted to Millenicom Forum from her computer (Verizon). They are exactly the same.
sundrop74

sundrop74

It's not the computer. I have verified this problem across two computers and my phone (on wifi and VZW 3G). I think it's my local tower, because my phone displays the images correctly in a town about 20 miles away.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I've run out of ideas as I've never experienced this. I know about throttling but that just slows data not shapes it. As you can see I have the same results from Verizon and Sprint.

If you find the problem please share.
sundrop74

1 edit

sundrop74

*delete

saturn2121
@myvzw.com

saturn2121

Anon

What browser are you using? I know Opera optimizes slow web connections. But I've used Verizon for years and never had any optimization effects.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22 to sundrop74

to sundrop74

Venturi Systray Icon
Do you have "venturi" installed? Look down in your systray and see if there is a V icon... if so right click it and choose "OFF".

I don't think verizon even uses venturi anymore... If you do indeed have it installed/enabled I am amazed its working at all!

»support.verizonwireless. ··· uri.html
sundrop74

sundrop74

No Venturi installed or running that I am aware of. I am using Chrome, but I have the same result in IE and on different computers. As I said before, I have even pulled up the pastor image on my phone using Verizon (not Millenicom via wifi) and it looks the same. It displays correctly in a nearby town, so that leads me to believe it is the tower.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by sundrop74:

I am using Chrome, but I have the same result in IE and on different computers. ... It displays correctly in a nearby town, so that leads me to believe it is the tower.

Yup sounds like it! You can always VPN around it if you have access to a VPN service.
DS1192
join:2010-07-16
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

Really? I would not believe a tower could be doing it. Maybe the tower in the near by town has faster speed which keeps the optimization software down. From the sounds of it. You must have some optimization running. If not the browser, then some other software.
sundrop74

sundrop74

If it is optimization software on my computer, then why would my Verizon phone have the same result when I am not connected to Millinicom via wifi? That completely rules out the computer as the culprit.

I am going to do a test this weekend and actually take my computer and USB modem to a nearby town and see if I get a different result on another tower.
sundrop74

sundrop74 to dib22

to dib22
I am not familiar with VPN services. Can you explain it to me like a two year old? =)