uniqs
mets18
join:2008-10-15
Cranford, NJ

mets18 to mikedz4

to mikedz4

Re: Any updates?- Comcast of Ocean County, NJ

said by mikedz4:

It's up to the stations if they want to be in hd in your area. Email them and ask why they aren't in hd in your area.

Actually in this case it is not up to the stations. The Ocean County area is deemed to be part of the NYC DMA so Comcast doesn't have to show the Philly locals in HD if they don't want to. They already show all the NYC locals in HD.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I'm part of the wheeling/steubenville dma but also recieve the pittsburgh stations. When my local cbs offered fox and abc as sub channels comcast asked the pittsburgh stations if they still wanted to be carried in my area.
The abc station permitted BOTH their SD and HD channels to be carried.
The fox station asked to be removed because they didn't like to compete.
The pittsburgh CBS is carried in both SD and HD even after the local CBS went HD.
The Pittsburgh NBC is only SD but I think that is because the same company (cox media) owns both the local nbc and pittsburgh NBC.
mets18
Cranford, NJ

mets18

said by mikedz4:

I'm part of the wheeling/steubenville dma but also recieve the pittsburgh stations. When my local cbs offered fox and abc as sub channels comcast asked the pittsburgh stations if they still wanted to be carried in my area.
The abc station permitted BOTH their SD and HD channels to be carried.
The fox station asked to be removed because they didn't like to compete.
The pittsburgh CBS is carried in both SD and HD even after the local CBS went HD.
The Pittsburgh NBC is only SD but I think that is because the same company (cox media) owns both the local nbc and pittsburgh NBC.

Right but again it was comcast that asked the pittsburgh stations if they wanted to be carried. In this case comcast is not asking the philly stations if they want to be carried in both sd and hd. They would rather allocate the hd bandwidth to other channels.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

how do YOU know they DID NOT ask? I would email the station directly and ask why they aren't in HD in your area.
mets18
Cranford, NJ

1 edit

mets18

said by mikedz4:

how do YOU know they DID NOT ask? I would email the station directly and ask why they aren't in HD in your area.

Obviously they would like to be carried in HD.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to mikedz4

to mikedz4
Here in Toms River I asked Comcast why we dont get the Philly local stations in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW) I was told we did and they gave me the channel numbers to the SD channels. Comcast can be incompotent at times. And it was from the Monmouth call center or something.
Expand your moderator at work
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: Any updates?- Comcast of Ocean County, NJ

Some probable answers below on why they don't carry the HD Philly broadcast stations in the New York DMA (rightly or wrongly, Toms River and all of Ocean and Monmouth counties are assigned to the NYC TV market).

1. Because they don't have to (they are not required to)

2. It would take up additional HD bandwidth (at least 5 more HD channels for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW)

3. Most all of the big 4 network programming is duplicated on the HD network affiliates from NYC stations, exceptions being some region specific sports matchups and local news programming.

Not saying I agree with why, just saying...
TurboDan
join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

1 edit

TurboDan

said by The Q:

Some probable answers below on why they don't carry the HD Philly broadcast stations in the New York DMA (rightly or wrongly, Toms River and all of Ocean and Monmouth counties are assigned to the NYC TV market).

1. Because they don't have to (they are not required to)

2. It would take up additional HD bandwidth (at least 5 more HD channels for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW)

3. Most all of the big 4 network programming is duplicated on the HD network affiliates from NYC stations, exceptions being some region specific sports matchups and local news programming.

Not saying I agree with why, just saying...

You're probably right, but are the NYC stations "must carry" anymore? I thought when the nets started charging cablecos for carriage, the must carry regulation went out the window.

The bandwidth issue is legit, obviously, though I wonder how much is left after the recent reclamation.

The non-duplicate programming, of course, includes sports - specifically the Eagles, as well as WPVI's newscast which is very, very widely viewed in Ocean County. I know some areas of the country (MD/VA/DC) carry just the HD stations that carry the Redskins/Ravens across two DMAs since the fan bases cross DMA lines. Why that can't be accomplished here is odd.

FiOS, for example, carries both sets of locals (PHL and NYC) in HD in multiple markets.
JCO65
join:2010-01-15
Brick, NJ

JCO65

The only reason why the dulicate programming exists in Maryloand is because the distance between Baltimore and Washington is only 35-40 miles. If NYC and Philly were that close, I am sure that you would have the duplicates here on Comcast, Dan.

As for reclamation, there is more room for new HD channels down the road. As for when, I don't know.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to The Q

to The Q
I agree with all 3 of your points. I'm just ticked off that Comcast claims they do in fact carry them in HD in my service area even though they don't by saying that the SD channels of the philly stations that I'm recieving in the upper 200's are HD even though its clear as day that they aren't.
JCO65
Brick, NJ

JCO65

Here is an interesting find. I noticed on the channel lineups for the Trenton/Lambertville systems that the Philadelphia HD local channels are.located between channels 231-236. Meanwhile, they offer the NY HD local channels in the low 800's range. Maybe that is a sign of things to come.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

In my area the NY HD channels are still located between 231 and 236 as well as in the low 800's, and the Philly locals are located between 253 and 256 with the exception of 6ABC which is only found on channel 6 in the analog's.
TurboDan
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan to JCO65

to JCO65
said by JCO65:

Here is an interesting find. I noticed on the channel lineups for the Trenton/Lambertville systems that the Philadelphia HD local channels are.located between channels 231-236. Meanwhile, they offer the NY HD local channels in the low 800's range. Maybe that is a sign of things to come.

That's definitely a good sign. There's no reason this can't happen here, at least on a limited basis. Channel 6 (WPVI) is the most watched station for news and Fox 29 (WTXF) would take care of the multitude of Eagles fans who want to see their team in HD. Even if it's just those two channels, they'd make the majority of people happy.
JCO65
Brick, NJ

JCO65

Agreed. I say get the pitchforks and go after the customer service reps to ask for it.
TurboDan
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan

said by JCO65:

Agreed. I say get the pitchforks and go after the customer service reps to ask for it.

Ha! If you can afford the airfare to India, I'll go half with ya!

I do have a couple contacts in Philly. At least their HQ is in Philly and I might get some sympathy as a Philadelphia sports fan who lives "down the shore." Have one account on the OC system (Brick) and one in LBI (TR/LBI) so perhaps I get double cred, LOL.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit

Dan A to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

In my area the NY HD channels are still located between 231 and 236 as well as in the low 800's, and the Philly locals are located between 253 and 256 with the exception of 6ABC which is only found on channel 6 in the analog's.

Same here in Middlesex County (Comcast of Central NJ) we get all the major Philadephia stations most between 253-256 as well as WPVI 6ABC still on 6, WTXF Fox 29 still on 29 and WHYY still on 12 . The only Philly station we get in HD is WHYY on 241 & 812.
The anolog signal has been gone for WHYY since aroud the same time they added the WHYY subchannels on 257& 258 .
jhmercernj
join:2009-03-26
Trenton, NJ

jhmercernj to TurboDan

to TurboDan
I think the lineup that you saw may be incorrect. I have Comcast of Trenton/Lambertville and I live in Lawrenceville. The broadcast HD channels in the 200s (and replicated in the 800s) are from Philadelphia. Only the channels from 250-256 (and 7) are the New York City affiliates in SD.

I put in my address on the Comcast Website and brough up the lineup that they have for my area and it contains multiple errors so I wouldn't use that as a guide. My general experience is that the lineup on their own site is usually incorrect. I find that Zap2it.com is more reliable.