Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eschamp

join:2003-10-12
Columbus, NJ

1 edit

Interruption of Service - Four Times in One Hour

Last night, between 9:30 and 10:30. cable TV service to one of my STBs was interrupted. I did the usual thing of pulling the power cord, waiting a few seconds and plugging it back it. After a few minutes, the service was back, only to be interrupted again a few minutes later.

I called Comcast and got the usual :we'll send a reset signal to your box". It did nothing. Pulled the plug, etc. Same as above. Finally we threw in the towel and turned it off.

Today it seems fine.

I called them today and they said I could swap it out.

Do you think that will help? Is this somehow related to the guide software roll-out?

Thanks.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

Re: Interruption of Servioe - Four Times in One Hour

No sooner did I hit SEND, then the TV went off!!!

What advice do you have for me?

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

What do you mean "The tv went off"
Your talking about cable, cable boxes, digital etc.

Did the TV go off?
Did the box turn off?
Did the picture tile?
Did the sound drop out?
Did the screen go black?
Was there a message on the screen?

Bad box
Low signal
Loose HDMI cable
etc
etc
etc
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

What I said was "cable TV service to one of my STBs was interrupted", not "the TV went off".

The screen went blank and the STB displayed either blanks or ----

No picture. No sound. No message. TV stayed on. Box may have turned itself off.

Thanks.

CableTool
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to eschamp

Actually you said the TV service to the box was interrupted.. and also that "the tv went off"

said by eschamp:

No sooner did I hit SEND, then the TV went off!!!

TV service wasnt interrupted. ( meaning loss of signal to the box)

It appears as if the box is randomly resetting. I would swap it out. Updates arent done one after the or throughout the day.
They are done in a maintenance window and should only reset once.
--

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

So is a better description, "the STB stopped working"?

A tech came out and swapped boxes, so we'll see if the "new" says working.

CableTool
Premium

said by eschamp:

So is a better description, "the STB stopped working"?

If I was trouble shooting the issue, which is what you are apparently asking someone to do and you said "The TV went off" I would say, is your TV plugged into your box and is your box plugged into a switched outlet..etc.

If you said the picture went out and there was a message stating ONE MOMENT PLEASE I would say you have a signal issue and you can check the boxes diagnostics for the culprit.

If you said the box shuts off and shows Dashes or nothing on the boxes screen I would say you have a bad box. Which is the conclusion I came to after prying the actual information out of you. And apparently the same conclusion the tech on site had after hearing, hopefully, a detailed account of an intermittent issue.

It like calling a mechanic and saying:
"My car stopped working... what could it be?"

"Did it not start? Did it die while you were driving it? Will it not go in gear?"

Didnt mean to offend you by asking for more info.
--

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

Re: Interruption of Service - Four Times in One Hour

I apologize for not describing the problem better. My frustration got the better of me.

But you seem to have started reading with my second message. The first had more info than "The TV stopped working".

Incidentally, if the TV went off, doesn't that imply that it had been on, meaning plugged in, and receiving signal?

CableTool
Premium

said by eschamp:

Incidentally, if the TV went off, doesn't that imply that it had been on, meaning plugged in, and receiving signal?

Yeah.. but it also means your TV. Not your cable box. Or cable at all.

I did read the first one that stated the TV service was interrupted, then the second one that stated the TV went off. Two different things if you are trying to troubleshoot an issue. And you very well could have meant "The TV shuts off, interrupting TV service.."

I guess to a cable guy the "TV" and "Cable" are 100% different things. Because we don't troubleshoot your TV. We troubleshoot the boxes, the signal etc.

At the end "The box shuts off, the screen displays ----" is exactly what happened and exactly what is needed. Your TV never went off.
--

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

Well, I don't think you appreciated that some time elapsed between message and message 2. Message 2 should have said, "Dammit! It happened again!!"

CableTool
Premium

1 recommendation

Why dont we just start dating.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

You're too young for me.