Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

1 edit

[Tech Ops] Super WIFI is finally UP in Wilmington, N.C

Hey Guys
I just wanted to pass long that super wifi finally is up in Wilmington, N.C you can read it here:
»wirelessinnovationalliance.com/i···gn=socia

»wirelessinnovationalliance.com/f···ease.pdf

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

is this the same thing as what is considered 5g or pre-5g?

treichhart

reply to treichhart

All I know it uses the whitespaces that FCC is now just starting up.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

yah that's all i could find/read. I wonder because this company: »www.5gmesh.com is/was advertising a using the new 5G wireless standard and touting they were the only one that was approved in the area to use it. But yet again; they're touting that only due to having $$$$ rolling in from a bankrupt city.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2
reply to 25139889

No, this is not "5G". And I hate the stupid "super wifi" term some are calling it. This is not wi-fi either.

This is White Space, or TVBD (TV band devices) operating in the empty spaces of the TV spectrum. If the prices end up being affordable enough, it should be primarily used by WISP's for better NLOS coverage than 900mhz with better penetration, and without the interference. In the meantime, it will probably be mostly government subsidized networks, traffic camera monitoring, power grid applications, etc.

I'm holding my breath that us small WISP's will be able to afford it and deploy on a large-scale method in the near future.

ctech99

join:2010-02-16
reply to treichhart

Links don't work?

»wirelessinnovationalliance.com/i···296BA163

»wirelessinnovationalliance.com/f···ease.pdf

jcremin

Siren, WI

»wirelessinnovationalliance.com/index.cfm

ctech99

join:2010-02-16
reply to jcremin

So nothing is available yet in this spectrum? (That we/I can afford?)

treichhart

reply to treichhart

Links do work.

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to ctech99

said by ctech99:

So nothing is available yet in this spectrum? (That we/I can afford?)

The spectrum is technically free, it's just the cost of the hardware that is still a bit pricy, but hopefully as the devices are approved and order start coming in the price will come down as they are able to mass produce them in larger quantities.

Carlson Wireless is making the Rural IP Connect v2, which looks to be the best device out there so far. Here's the last pricing I saw:

• RCIP II Base Station: $3620.00
• RCIP II Client Station: $ 590.00

o Omni Antenna: $560.00
o Yagi Antenna: $ 96.00

So you're looking at between $3716 and $4180 for the base station depending on the antenna you choose, and a little under $700 for a CPE (including the antenna).

While the AP side is a lot more than a Mikrotik routerboard, XR9, and antenna, I could handle the price of the base station.

But the prices for the CPE are out of my reach right now since my market simply won't pay enough for me to afford to charge that much or subsidize the cost. Once it hits the $500 price point, I could probably afford it on a limited basis for well paying customers, but I don't envision being able to use them in large quantities until they get into the $250 to $350 range, which is the very upper end of the ballpark I'm currently paying for some of my CPE equipment.

Hopefully the future brings us good news.

spectrumhead

join:2009-05-03

There is no point for me using this tech unless USB CPEs are out.

This is a very good spectrum to achieve NLOS penetration and mobility to labtops and smart phones.

Skynet Inc

join:2006-02-07
Wilmington, NC

I am in Wilmington NC. I have been watching the progress of the effort being put forth here. It is only currently used as someone pointed out in the muni/local government sector right now. Traffic cams, private network, meters,etc. The hardware is like people are saying out of reach for most of us to be cost effective. If anyone would like more info about the ongoing project let me know. I will try to get a pic posted of the hardware and tower that they are using as it is only about a mile up the road from me. Well it's my B-day so I'm going out to breakfast with my lovely wife then it's business as usual.

spectrumhead

join:2009-05-03

Yes pics would be great.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
reply to treichhart

Do you guys see the networks using this technology broadcasting from their towers?

Skynet Inc

Wilmington, NC
reply to Skynet Inc

Click for full size
Finally had a chance to take some pics this evening. If you have any thoughts, opinions, or questions let me know...
I do like the small flat antenna. Very compact. The second antenna very large, bulky. I do have knowledge of the system in place but will be very cautious how I respond publicly on forum. PM me if any technical questions. I will say that in my opinion they have far to many Ap units for the area that is being covered. There are software defined radio board kits that can be had for $50.00us. I am in no way stating that this is what they use, just throwing that out there.

treichhart

reply to treichhart

What kind of speed test are they getting off of these?

Skynet Inc

Wilmington, NC
reply to Skynet Inc

link for antenna used.
»www.telex.com/us/intercom/produc···rod=1242

Skynet Inc

Wilmington, NC

Anyone interested in using this type of technology may want to do some research into SDR (software defined radios). They can be had for cheap to play with. Tons of software out there for them. If you designed and programed one for use you would just have to find a way $$$ some deep pockets to certify it. I will say that SDR is going to really take off and be a cost effective solution very soon. ......just my 2cents, so take as a grain of salt.

treichhart

reply to treichhart

That is alright if the stuff cant go past 3meg+ its not really worth the time and the money right now we will just hold off until somebody will come out with better technology that can get past 5meg+ on this super wifi.