Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone

Re: [Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

said by Gone:

Does anyone know of any contacts at CTV or the Toronto Star?

I've sent Rosie DiManno an email. If she can't jump in for any reason, I do have some contacts at Torstar that I actually know personally and I'll call them, but I think Ms. DiManno is the right person to grab this.

In the meantime, if Steve Anderson at Open Media can run with this for even a little bit it'll be a big help. I've also made him aware.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to OhNo2

Just an FYI the limit in Ontario small claims is $25,000.00 so you only need a paralegal for this one.

You would probably have to pay the bill first, as your credit rating might be impacted, and to actually suffer damages as small claims has limited relief options to a plaintiff.

I'm sure there would be no shortage of people who would testify one your behalf about the meter issue that you could get qualified as an expert witness.

Also you can get awarded additional damages depending on the actions of the defendant in this case. If it hits the media an undisclosed settlement in excess of the actual damages will result.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

I've sent Rosie DiManno an email. If she can't jump in for any reason, I do have some contacts at Torstar that I actually know personally and I'll call them, but I think Ms. DiManno is the right person to grab this.

I knew there was someone who wrote for the Toronto Star who loves this kind of stuff, and that's who it was. We need to get this out into the mainstream media so that regular non-technical people know just how much they can be screwed.

ancodia

join:2006-07-10

said by Gone:We need to get this out into the mainstream media so that regular non-technical people know just how much they can be screwed.

you are 100% right. This is the kind of story that will wake people up to the reality of what is going wrong in Canada with Internet access & UBB. For now it only affects 30/50 plans, but it's only a matter of time before they remove the caps on all of the plans, and the other providers follow.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Yeah, and it's also worth noting that there is no competition in Cogeco territory like there is in Rogers' territory and Bell has barely built in their FTTN network in many of the communities Cogeco serves, which means we have no choice but to take it up the ass, and Cogeco knows this, which is why they can get away with it - or at least they think they can.

We need to get the shit to hit the fan over this. Getting as much coverage as possible is key.

Asawulf
Ignorance is bliss
VIP
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC
reply to OhNo2

Flipped a PM to the OP for account infos for review because... we do care.

ancodia

1 recommendation

said by Asawulf:

Get his account info so you can get his address to mail him some lube? I don't think it'll help.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Asawulf

said by Asawulf:

Flipped a PM to the OP for account infos for review because... we do care it will end up in the media.

Fixed.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Asawulf

said by Asawulf:

We know you guys who post here care, otherwise you wouldn't be here. That has never been called into question.

The issue is your corporate policy. It is quite clear that the people who come up with these things do not care. The only thing they care about is the bottom line and finding ways to pay for their European folly.

Please do not confuse our outrage here with outrage against you guys. Nothing could ever be further from the truth.

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON
reply to peterboro

+1 to this. I was also going to suggest Ontario small claims.

By now, Cogeco management must know about the particulars this issue, and is hopefully looking at a resolution.
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

Fixed.

It needs to get out into the media regardless of whether Cogeco quickly jumps on this and fixes it. That's my concern here, I almost hope they don't fix it or put up a stink about fixing it just so that there is more noise over this.

XNemesis

join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON
reply to OhNo2

Even if Cogeco did NOW try to remedy this situation, I would still urge taking this absurdity to the press. Because of Course Cogego would have taken this route if there wasn't the threat of public exposure.

Asawulf
Ignorance is bliss
VIP
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC
reply to Gone

No worries Gone, I'm not taking it personally I'll stay away from the storm for now till we get account's infos

ancodia

reply to XNemesis

said by XNemesis:

Even if Cogeco did NOW try to remedy this situation, I would still urge taking this absurdity to the press. Because of Course Cogego would have taken this route if there wasn't the threat of public exposure.

We need to make them put the overcharge cap back on all their services, otherwise this will just happen again and again and again.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to jpaik

said by jpaik:

By now, Cogeco management must know about the particulars this issue, and is hopefully looking at a resolution.

It's hit the DSLr front page:

»Cogeco User Socked With Thousands in Overages

The DSLr folks state they've contacted Cogeco for a comment.

This should be interesting. Just about anything they say or do, short of a full refund, has to be dummer than saying nothing.

Mike
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

Fixed.

It needs to get out into the media regardless of whether Cogeco quickly jumps on this and fixes it. That's my concern here, I almost hope they don't fix it or put up a stink about fixing it just so that there is more noise over this.

True. How many has this happened to, or will happen to, who never spoke up or knew where to go for assistance with an issue like this.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Asawulf

said by Asawulf:

I'll stay away from the storm for now till we get account's infos

Right, and I trust you won't take it personally when I advise that the OP does not provide you with his account info to fix it for him, as we need to get as much exposure on this issue first before it is corrected. We know your intentions are good, we just have a little shit to kick up over this first.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

How many has this happened to, or will happen to, who never spoke up or knew where to go for assistance with an issue like this.

Or that it happened to and they didn't even know it because they don't read their bills and the money comes straight out of their accounts.

Let this be a lesson to people on automated debits and CC payments. Nightmare ahead.

Mike
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Gone

I anticipate if the account details are forwarded a large broom descends and the rug lifts.

ancodia

reply to OhNo2

submitted story to slashdot. Anyone else we should send this to?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

I anticipate if the account details are forwarded a large broom descends and the rug lifts.

For me, it makes no never mind how they deal with it. I'm cutting my Cogeco ASAP. My company has a stellar reputation. I can't risk being seen to be doing business with a company like this. It would be bad for my business, plain and simple.

$2500 man. That's groceries for a family of 4 for 6 months. Seriously. I can't get over this. It's bloody criminal, or should be.

Mike
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

Exactly. We can't let Cogeco sweep this one away.

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to ancodia

said by ancodia:

submitted story to slashdot. Anyone else we should send this to?

ars technica, maybe boing boing

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to ancodia

said by ancodia:

submitted story to slashdot

Good one. I see it's in the queue. Waiting for my password (bloody forgot it) - I'll mod that puppy up.

Mike
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Love the avatar, dillyhammer.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
reply to OhNo2

I'd probably quit cogeco too after seeing this, but all I could get is 5megs.....

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Farchord:

I'd probably quit cogeco too after seeing this, but all I could get is 5megs.....

Really? In Shawinigan? Wow. I trust you've checked recently.... that's tough.

Mike
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Farchord

said by Farchord:

I can get Nexicom's ADSL2+ with no cap or throttle but I haven't been hit with an overage yet so I am still on the fence as Cogeco has a rock solid connection and my reluctance to put one penny in Bell Canada's pocket.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

Welland can't get anything faster than 6Mbit as far as I can tell, and there's 50,000 people there, and that's roughly the same size as Shawinigan.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1

said by Gone:

said by dillyhammer:

Welland can't get anything faster than 6Mbit as far as I can tell, and there's 50,000 people there, and that's roughly the same size as Shawinigan.

There's a small wi-fi connection company here but... I am weary as to the stability of the service. Their site doesn't look professional and shit, doesn't inspire trust. And my internet is very important to me.

But like Peterboro said, cogeco hasn't screwed me over yet, although I do get horror stories every so often from friends around.

*sigh* gotta love our duopoly!
« resetting voip modem?IPv6 launch »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 16 · 17 · 18 · next