Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Davesnothere

Re: [Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

said by Davesnothere:

But Bell is SUCH an easy target !

Where's the challenge ?!

Ha! They're all pretty easy targets these days. Crazy TPIA costs, CBB being R&V'd, $2500 bills, FTTN profile shenanigans, gaming throttled, Bell soaking up Astral... man, what a mess.

What the hell exactly is going on over at the damn CRTC anyway? Is anybody actually in charge over there or is everyone sitting around sucking back thorazine-koolaid cocktails?

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

I feel bad for them as well. Some of them have been spectacular. I suppose some of them are shying away a bit because the Cogeco forum has become somewhat of an unfriendly place. I've done my share of contributing to that. Just to say, it isn't me or the other avid detractors who brought this on.

I definitely don't hold anything against anyone just trying to feed their family. As you said a lot of them are good people just trying to do their jobs.

said by dillyhammer:

No, I'm not going to let up with the criticism where due, but I am going to try to dial down the snarky rhetoric a tad and be a little more helpful.

Was thinking along these lines the other day. Was just about to recommend someone switch away from Cogeco when they mentioned that they don't go over their cap. If it meets your needs (fast, stable, you don't go over the cap) why switch?

Truth is, the harshest thing about the caps was the lack of choice. Now there is choice -- higher DSL speeds, TPIA on Cogeco footprint.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Just because I have a lot of respect for the Cogeco employees and am thankful for the help they offer does not mean that I am going to let up on my criticism of the cataclysmic dive that Cogeco has taken as a company over the last few years, either.

And really, think of it this way guys - if the experience as a customer has gotten this bad due to, you know, having to write-off failed ventures in Europe due to an inability to compete without a protectionist government to bail you out, just imagine how bad it must have also gotten to be an employee as well.

n3k0

@teksavvy.com

+1

Have had help from both Krispy & Marcer in the past. I agree with all the other stuff you said as well.

YumYumHungry

join:2012-02-06
reply to OhNo2

Because of this issue I opted to go for TSI. I am able to get 25/7, the cap is 300GB and unlimited between 2am to 8am. If I do happen to go over they are incredibly reasonable (by reasonable I mean I won't have to remortage the house). There have been a few occasions where it has gone down for 5 minutes. Overall, couldn't be happier. Cogeco would not be able to have provided me with a service like this AND then be affordable.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone

Agreed. I don't think we need to / should let up. I certainly won't. I just may be a bitmore strategic about where I let loose, pick my battles in such a way that new users or those seeking help don't scurry away fearing for their lives.

@n3k0

I did not have many dealings with Krispy, though I do remember some passionate exchanges on the issue of Cogeco's meter reliability and accuracy. For the longest time I believed metering was done at the CMTS and she on the modem. She wound up being right and I ate one of those nasty sandwiches of which we do not speak.

Marcer is a champ for sure. Pretty rare to find people like that who seem to genuinely draw pleasure from helping others. I think he'd be one of those guys that, regardless of how bad things got at Cogeco, he'd just put his head down and keep doing what he's doing. Cogeco would be a far better company if they put him in charge, tell you what.

Mike
--

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON

I think most people feel frustrated because at the end of the day there really isn't a choice. Phone, Internet are no longer a luxury/option for most people anymore. I simply cannot do my job without them, and that is the sad reality.

Like many, I have scaled back my TV package and continue to do so. For the past 2 years we have negotiated a 'better' promo-pricing with Cogeco to at least get our bills down a bit.

I have had no complaints about the reliability of the internet service, although the past few months have started to see peak time slow downs. The TV service remains abysmal, and I end up watching x264 rips of my favorite shows anyway (despite paying for the channels) - the quality far surpasses Cogeco's HD feed.

I actually have given up venting. The big 3 don't really care, it is all about maximizing profits and that is their prerogative. They have been able to minimize service and take advantage of customers due to lack of choice/competition. Again, many of us would simply change service providers if the choice was there.

For me, I see little point in raging against the wall. It isn't going to move. I have negotiated the best deal I could up until now. With Smart offering a resold product in my area, I will be switching to them at the end of my current term. Cogeco will know why.

We will likely keep basic home phone services, but cancel everything else. Nothing personal, I just finally have a choice and will move to a superior product at less cost.

Ultimately, as more customers do this, it will no longer be a feasible business model to cut service, quality and treat your source of income like dirt.

Maybe then we will see a philosophical shift.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits

said by diskdocx:

....Ultimately, as more customers do this, it will no longer be a feasible business model to cut service, quality and treat your source of income like dirt.

Maybe then we will see a philosophical shift.

And is truly a shame that things must progress that far down the slippery slope before incumbent providers WAKE UP and smell the coffee, but that DOES seem to be the case.

Just TRY to convince me that Bell's March FTTN install fee waives to Indie ISPs (passed on to us) is not clear evidence that Bell has recently passed such a milestone !

It may be only a temporary and experimental policy, but to me it is proof positive that a significant quantity of Bell's customer base (including those thru Indie SPs) has been shifting to Cable this past year due to such fees, and that their 'Bean-Counters' have noticed.

Here is some evidence to support that Bell HAS noticed :

»Re: BCE 2011 Year-End Financials

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to diskdocx

said by diskdocx:

I think most people feel frustrated because at the end of the day there really isn't a choice.

the closed-loop nature of internet really drove me up the wall, but i guess that's business.

what bugs me is that every time there is a new player to the game, the CRTC and the incumbents usually find a way to make life hard for them... look at teksavvy v bell, or wind mobile v incumbents...

if they're so worried about losing customers to the new guys, maybe they should pull their heads out of the sand and eat some humble pie, because the incumbents networks are pretty crappy.

having said all that though, i still think marcer is a nice guy. i'd have a beer with him.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

n3k0

@teksavvy.com
reply to Davesnothere

I suppose time will tell if it also affects GougeCO

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

Something seems to be affecting Cogeco.

They're bleeding customers, and Audet calls them "undesirable".

»www.thespec.com/news/business/ar···rs-in-q2

Mike
--

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to OhNo2

They lost me as of April 9th. Never again.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

Something seems to be affecting Cogeco....

Ya don't suppose that the current thread has started to bite their arse, do ya ?

BTW, more details and discussion here :

»"Undesirable" customers: Cogeco, Audet

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Davesnothere:

said by dillyhammer:

Something seems to be affecting Cogeco....

Ya don't suppose that the current thread has started to bite their arse, do ya ?

I'd like to see them bleed 9000 more in the coming quarter. That'll make for interesting analysts' statements. The next AGM should be interesting too.

Mike
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Well folks, I'm pleased to report that this and all of our other FAVE threads in the GOUGEco forum seem to have survived the apocalypse at DSLR.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON

Awesome.

Let's get back at it then, shall we?

Mike

nek0

@teksavvy.com

So, did the OP ever get back to us with a resolution to his ordeal?

Oh, & welcome back everyone

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by nek0 :

Nope. Never will either. Any reason why stated here or elsewhere is speculation.

said by nek0 :

Amen. Holy smokes.

Mike
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to nek0

said by nek0 :

I get the feeling that he involved a lawyer and the lawyer told him to keep his mouth shut.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Gone:

I get the feeling that he involved a lawyer and the lawyer told him to keep his mouth shut.

That is my sense as well.

Mike
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by dillyhammer:

said by Gone:

I get the feeling that he involved a lawyer, and the lawyer told him to keep his mouth shut.

That is my sense as well. - Mike

Sometimes I wish that Bell's lawyers would tell Mirko the same.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Davesnothere:

Sometimes I wish that Bell's lawyers would tell Mirko the same.

CRTC Chair: Any comments, Comrade Bibic?

Mirko Bibic: Nope. I'm good.

Priceless.

Too bad we'll never really know the outcome of this debacle. It's a two-edged sword really. If Cogeco capitulated they wouldn't want everyone to know all you had to do was complain loud enough and they would. And conversely, if they didn't, it leaves a pretty big mess not publicly rectified.

But I like to think that this thread, and a lot of the negative threads in the Cogeco forum, have had an impact and account at least for some of the customers that are leaving Cogeco in droves.

That goes around comes around, sometimes sooner than you think.

Mike
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

"....some of the customers that are leaving Cogeco in droves."

I never DROVE anywhere.

["Some came in tuxedos - the rest walked."]

And yes, but who gouges the gougers ?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Davesnothere:

I never DROVE anywhere.

Mike

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium
join:2006-08-11
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

"....some of the customers that are leaving Cogeco in droves."

I never DROVE anywhere.

["Some came in tuxedos - the rest walked."]

And yes, but who gouges the gougers ?

Gougeco DROVE you mad with their incessant fees
--
...virtue gives you heraldry.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by neko:

Gougeco DROVE you mad with their incessant fees

I just KNEW that there was more to be said about that.

Unfortunately, "I tried to think, but nothing happened !" [courtesy Curly Howard]

XaXiS

join:2009-08-15
Canada Eh
reply to OhNo2

Have you tried CBC Marketplace to expose these idiots to?
I had a technician show up and she disconnected my services and said if I didn't give her my digital boxes etc she would be getting the police involved. I said go for it, they were bought outright. Nothing ever happened after that so I was left with useless boxes that I can't use anywhere else.