Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to mod_wastrel

Premium Member

to mod_wastrel

Re: It's all about the money.

said by mod_wastrel:

There are scores of people who'd be fine with 3000/768 speeds--they just don't need 50/20 or even 15/2 speeds. But can they get it for the price it's worth? Nope! And these days it's worth about $15/mo. [if that]. If the telcos won't invest, then they need to go for the "value" market and drop their prices. If they aren't going to compete on product, then they need to compete on price.

ATT has the cheapest prices.
I get 6 mbps for $25 a month, cable is twice the price.
Now if ATT went back to pre 2011 and dropped their caps they would be the best ISP ever.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by r81984:

said by mod_wastrel:

There are scores of people who'd be fine with 3000/768 speeds--they just don't need 50/20 or even 15/2 speeds. But can they get it for the price it's worth? Nope! And these days it's worth about $15/mo. [if that]. If the telcos won't invest, then they need to go for the "value" market and drop their prices. If they aren't going to compete on product, then they need to compete on price.

Now if ATT went back to pre 2011 and dropped their caps they would be the best ISP ever.

But what are your out the door costs[what you see on your bill] for that $25 dsl?
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

here is my similar situation for u-verse. I only pay $20 and its in combined billing but my first bill?

$36 for activation (although little my fault due to ordering over phone, I found online website waives fee).

$100 for modem (and still waiting after 4 weeks for $100 mail-in-rebate to recover on this fee)

1st prorated month of service $38 - unlike with credit card, u pay bill month in advance, so at start u get two. And haven't credited promotional rate for 1month which they said i would not see until I get 2nd or 3rd statement.

I pay regular average $70 a month for smartphone service, but with this all bullshit my next bill is over $240!

======================================
Asked them via email to waive my activation fee, but a**holes refused, saying they would only credit my second wireless line under my company discount.

Despite all that easier to deal with than tethering through cell service with low caps when away on weekends. Cable and its prices would be overkill for stay only on weekends.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to r81984

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by mod_wastrel:

Where I live (Detroit suburbs), ATT has roughly the same price tiers as Comcast, but each tier is at a lower speed. And U-Verse doesn't have anything close to the top speeds that Comcast offers. I'm lucky to have a cable overbuilder in the area (Wide Open West) who I use as my isp. I'm paying $10 per month less for 15/1 uncapped internet and phone compared to U-verse 6/1 internet and phone. I dropped ATT when they announced caps, and I've never looked back.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
You are fortunate.

Here (city of over 200,000) the fastest DSL you can get from AT&T is 3 down, but most lines will only provision for 1.5 down.

Now, for $15/month that's fine, but if you want faster speeds you go with wireless or cable.

U-Verse is dead here.

The closest it ever came was 30 miles away, but even in that city (250,000+ population) AT&T had under 3,000 sign up for U-Verse over the 2 years it's been offered.

I doubt they ever bother to build out U-Verse there or in my city.
said by r81984 See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

Consider yourself lucky..that you can't get Uverse, it's a nightmare of broken promises and over billing..

»www.consumeraffairs.com/ ··· and.html