share rss forum feed

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to magamiako

Re: [IPv6] Benefits of IPv6

said by magamiako:

And which of these has an IPv6 configuration interface? I have yet to see any and I regularly set up Linksys E-series devices for friends and family.

A quick Google search returns...

»support.netgear.com/app/answers/···-routers

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison···_routers

»www.sixxs.net/wiki/Routers

... etc.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AVonGauss

said by AVonGauss:

Not to leave out the fact you may want some devices exposed, while others you do not regardless of their own capabilities.

I can't agree with you more.. I have this case going on in my house. I have 10 Cisco phones using callMGR express via IPv6. These phones are on a vlan other then my main and they are using FC00::/64 network. I am not an average user, I know.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address

magamiako

join:2006-01-14
Halethorpe, MD
reply to AVonGauss

Some of those devices have no exposure to IPv6 in their GUIs. Some require extra utilities such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT.

Again, point out to me how or where a user would get confused over IPv6 configuration in their device that has nothing to do with the current tunnel fiasco that we deal with now? Assuming IPv6 native on the outside and inside interfaces?

Right now things are a bit confusing due to transition technologies. But really all it comes down to is the interface...

magamiako

Halethorpe, MD
reply to NetDog

said by NetDog:

said by AVonGauss:

Not to leave out the fact you may want some devices exposed, while others you do not regardless of their own capabilities.

I can't agree with you more.. I have this case going on in my house. I have 10 Cisco phones using callMGR express via IPv6. These phones are on a vlan other then my main and they are using FC00::/64 network. I am not an average user, I know.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address

How's a simultaneous GUA/ULA deployment work out? I know there's some RFCs out there that try to enforce preference of ULA to GUA but I could see it being a problem in devices that don't currently implement that. Have you had any issues or concerns other than the fact that you'll have both GUA/ULA in DNS as well as dual policies?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast

On my home network I am using GUA or ULA per VLAN but not both. So I am not doing simultaneous GUA/ULA deployment at my house. But there is concern about having both on the same network yes. How does an app know to use the ULA vers the GUA.

Really the only spot I am using ULA is on my voice network, so no GUA is needed. But this works really well for me.

For the people that don't already know:
Unique Local Address (ULA)
Global Unicast Address (GUA)

magamiako

Halethorpe, MD

1 edit

I believe there's an RFC on this but I can't find it...still searching.

Found it:

»tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6···evise-05

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to ctgreybeard

said by ctgreybeard:

said by AVonGauss:

said by Mike Wolf:

I know it supports 6rd tunnel manual and automatic because thats what I'm using with HE, and I know it supports IPv6 automatic.

Are you that's not 6in4 instead of 6rd?

My E3200 only supports 6rd manually configured or automatic. IPv6 Automatic mode doesn't connect to Comcast's network so I take that to mean it doesn't support 6in4. There is supposed to be a firmware update in March so maybe that will then allow 6in4.

Well March came and went without any updates or changes and even the new EA line of routers have the same limited IPv6 settings.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

This is what my Asus RT-N66U has for IPv6-

Disable
Native
Native with DHCP
Tunnel 6to4
Tunnel 6in4
Tunnel 6rd

I'm running a 6in4 Tunnel via Hurricane Electric.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit

I was referring to the Cisco Linksys E and EA routers.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:4
reply to AVonGauss

FYI - An item on the FierceTelecom site today about IPv6 security issues:

IPv6 security a growing concern as Blue Coat, Akamai note malware, exploits
By Samantha Bookman, FierceTelecom - April 11, 2012
»www.fiercetelecom.com/story/ipv6···12-04-11

Expand your moderator at work