Premium Member
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK

jimkyle to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac

Re: [Wired] DHCP to WinXP Pro system

VERY helpful. Thanks again!

Called my favorite repair tech in this afternoon and we ran quite a few tests. He found a bad cable, which is almost undoubtedly the reason the XP box would not connect (although it was working just fine until the IPs changed). The bad news is that the bad part is a 75-foot run in the attic that I'm not willing to have replaced. The good news is that adding a wifi dongle ought to restore connectivity to the XP box.

The only remaining serious problem at this point is how to get port forwarding through the WRT54G to the specific Linux box that runs my FTP server. It needs to handle ports 20 and 21, plus 51200-51299 for the passive FTP connections required. With that, I should be able to get rid of the -S plan in favor of a faster dynamic one. So far I've not found a WRT54G manual or user guide on the net, and my printed copy has long since vanished.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by jimkyle:

I should be able to get rid of the -S plan in favor of a faster dynamic one

All the -S plans are $45.00 a month
said by jimkyle:

The only remaining serious problem at this point is how to get port forwarding through the WRT54G to the specific Linux box that runs my FTP server

This link may help
Setting up an FTP server behind a Linksys Router
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

1 edit

bennor to jimkyle

Premium Member

to jimkyle
You can find the router's user guide on the Cicso support website. You will need to enter your router version then select Downloads to find the User Guide.
»homesupport.cisco.com/en ··· s/WRT54G

I tried many years ago to get the 5 static IP's with AT&T (SBC at the time) DSL to work properly with stock Linksys WRT54G firmware. Never could get it to work right.

One option is to run 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT on the WRT54G and use "IPTables" via the command line in DD-WRT to assign the static public IP's. Here is one link that details how to configure multiple static IP's with a WRT54G running DD-WRT.
»www.wrtrouters.com/guide ··· ipleips/

I no longer have the -S DSL plan but do run a WRT54G V6 with DD-WRT build 14929 (micro) since the stock Linksys firmware is so limited.

Edit to add: Another way to add iptables in DD-WRT is via the Administrator command entry field. This link explains the process.
»www.techenclave.com/topi ··· -dd-wrt/

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium Member
Oklahoma City, OK

jimkyle to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
It definitely did. My line monitoring service is now showing zero packet loss. I've not yet been able to verify that the FTP server is accessible since all of my machines are now on this side of the router; I'll arrange for a friend locally to try to get into its anonymous oublic directory as a test.

I found different pricing on the AT&T web pages. One page showed the S plans at $45/month, but the "upgrade speed of existing plans" page said $55 for the 3 Mb/s Pro plan (and did not show me the Elite S plan at all). It also looked as if there's no contract requirement for new customers, but a 12-month contract is required for getting higher speed on an existing plan! I've been off contract since 2002 and don't really want to go back onto one...

Your advice has been invaluable. Thanks again for walking me through this minefield!

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by jimkyle:

I've not yet been able to verify that the FTP server is accessible since all of my machines are now on this side of the router; I'll arrange for a friend locally to try to get into its anonymous oublic directory as a test

If you have a dialup modem it can be used to do the ftp log in
A network tools website and your firewall log can be used to ensure the ftp server is reachable
wayjac

wayjac

MVM

You never said if you tried using the @static.sbcglobal.net
If you did were you allocated a ip from your public ip block

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

said by jimkyle:

I've not yet been able to verify that the FTP server is accessible since all of my machines are now on this side of the router; I'll arrange for a friend locally to try to get into its anonymous oublic directory as a test

If you have a dialup modem it can be used to do the ftp log in...

The 21st century equivalent of that (a tethered cellphone, or a smart phone with an ftp client) works well for external testing too.

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium Member
Oklahoma City, OK

jimkyle to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

You never said if you tried using the @static.sbcglobal.net
If you did were you allocated a ip from your public ip block

Yes, I'm using the static.sbcglobal.net address on the router login, but have not power cycled the modem itself. I HAVE had the router disconnect and reconnect, but got no change to the assigned address -- it still points to the "gateway" (7th of 8) address in the block. I'll try power-cycling the modem shortly and see if that makes it change.

I've now verified that the FTP server is accessible, having a friend use it from his home, so I now know what to do if I get the IP to change -- or I can live with it as-is for the present!

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by jimkyle:

Yes, I'm using the static.sbcglobal.net address on the router login, but have not power cycled the modem itself

Ok thanks for confirming that the static login works
said by jimkyle:

I HAVE had the router disconnect and reconnect, but got no change to the assigned address -- it still points to the "gateway" (7th of 8) address in the block

This is normal and expected because you have a static ip block....If you change the router login username to @sbcglobal.net the router will be allocated a dynamic public ip address

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium Member
Oklahoma City, OK

jimkyle

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

This is normal and expected because you have a static ip block....If you change the router login username to @sbcglobal.net the router will be allocated a dynamic public ip address

Nope, it's getting exactly the same IP address with either login string, and the assigned gateway is also the same. Adding "static" makes no difference at all. Either string is accepted, but that's the extent of its working.

I've also got some packet-loss issues that I'm pursuing with David in SBC Direct; they might possibly be related...

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by jimkyle:

Nope, it's getting exactly the same IP address with either login string, Adding "static" makes no difference at all. Either string is accepted

The behavior you describe is not what I would expect
The -S package you have appears to work differently than the -S packages in my area, but if the public ip the router is allocated is always the same and is within the public ip block that is ok

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

said by jimkyle:

Nope, it's getting exactly the same IP address with either login string, Adding "static" makes no difference at all. Either string is accepted

The behavior you describe is not what I would expect
The -S package you have appears to work differently than the -S packages in my area, but if the public ip the router is allocated is always the same and is within the public ip block that is ok

Once again, AT&T proves that it is not really a monolith. In this area, a static IP block account is no longer required to add "static" to the login (although it I guess it is possible that they have changed back to that old rule since my retirement). The DSL router's WAN gets a dynamic IP address from the PPP server, and the customer must configure the LAN side of the router to use the static IP block addresses (either directly, or with 1-1 NAT).