how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

Not A Fan Of Unions, But...

Cablevision has only itself to blame. Truth is: Most people instinctively grasp that forming an adversarial organization within your employment space has serious downsides. Most people would prefer not to do it. So all an employer need do is treat its employees fairly and with respect, and they can usually keep the unions out.

Look to the foreign, particularly Asian, car companies doing manufacturing here in the U.S. Last I knew: Not a one of them was unionized. Much of that is because European and Asian companies treat their employees much better, on-average, than their U.S. counterparts.

Back in the day, when I was in a management position over people in a manufacturing environment, I treated my people as I would've expected to have been treated were I in their place. That doesn't mean I was a push-over. I demanded, and received, respect and performance. But I also made certain my people were treated fairly. End result was: When I resigned, to move on, my entire team wanted to go with me. Even a woman I'd reluctantly had to let go was anxious to come work for me again.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

From the link:

"The organizing effort began in October, with more than 70% of workers submitting union cards to the NLRB on Dec. 2, according to CWA. The vote was held on Jan. 26 at three different Cablevision garages in Brooklyn."

On the surface it appears this was a fair organizing effort, but it says that union cards "were submitted" rather than actually saying "X out of a total of Y workers voted to join." This is important.

Here in Michigan, the press reported that day care workers paid by the state Department of Human Services voted to unionize. What was NOT said was only 15% of the workers voted because they'd thrown out the stuff from the union because they (rightfully) thought it was junk mail. They are self-employed contractors, not state employees. So of that 15% that voted, most voted yes, which conscripted ALL of the workers into a new union, created just for them!

I'm not saying if these workers were right or not, but voting to form a union in the current employment environment is rather unwise. Unless, of course, you want to be like Michigan. We've been in a slump the longest, and we'll be the last to improve.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to jseymour

said by jseymour:

Cablevision has only itself to blame.

True!

Look to the foreign, particularly Asian, car companies doing manufacturing here in the U.S. Last I knew: Not a one of them was unionized. Much of that is because European and Asian companies treat their employees much better, on-average, than their U.S. counterparts.

Proof that unions even benefit non-union employees...
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

factchecking

@myvzw.com
reply to jseymour

Ummm, check ur facts... Toyota, honda, and mitsubishi all have production lines here in the US, staffed by good ole UAW members... A quick check of www.uaw.org will confirm that for you.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to ShellMMG

said by ShellMMG:

I'm not saying if these workers were right or not, but voting to form a union in the current employment environment is rather unwise. Unless, of course, you want to be like Michigan. We've been in a slump the longest, and we'll be the last to improve.

Yes you are Glenn Beck.

70% of the voters voted 'yea'. 30% didn't care. Sounds like a win to me.