hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

New Exede customers, please post

I was a beta customer for WB early on, and stayed with them for 2 years until 3G became available. Now, with the new Exede service, I am actually thinking about going back. Yes, I have a 50G package on 3G for $30 per month, but speeds are lacking and I really only use about 5GB per month.

If there are any NEW Exede users out there, please post your thoughts, reviews, etc. of the speed. I am very aware of the latency issues, etc, but am not a gamer and I don't use VOIP.

Thanks!

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by hdman:

Now, with the new Exede service, I am actually thinking about going back.

Welcome back, Hdman...talk about coming out of the 'woodwork.'

Just the other day I was looking thru some old posts when WB users had to post on Hughes forum, like this thread,

»[WildBlue] "Value Pak" $49.95 testmy.net results?

and came across several of your posts. To my surprise, it appeared you had been inactive for a long spell, as I recall.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to hdman

to hdman
100Gbps divided by 12Mbps per subscriber means that the first 8333 customers will be happier than pigs in poo-poo. I respectfully suggest that it would be prudent to wait until ViaSat-1 loading is such that the typical user experience surfaces.

//greg//

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by grohgreg:

100Gbps divided by 12Mbps per subscriber means...

Kept in mind that each transaction takes smaller time increments with higher bandwidth web sites.

Trendline is web sites have been in process of upgrading their speeds, and at least one I know of, will not let slower users see their videos.

With a faster ISP, there is less congestion on theirs and other networks when FAPs and management polices exists on an ISP's network.

Hence, the faster an ISP is, this tends to reduce congestion when throttles are placed on downloading, updating/etc. during prime-time.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
Appleton, WI

hdman to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov
I haven't been inactive actually. I've been here the whole time, but just not active in the WB forum. Those were some fun times though. Being a test user for WB, I really got treated well, but when 3G came around, it made sense for me to move on. I'm still a fan of ONLY using NRTC coops which is what I would do with Exede. Take care and perhaps I will be back here!
hdman

hdman to grohgreg

Premium Member

to grohgreg
C'mon Greg, you know your making a rather LARGE assumption there. The same holds true for Cable and other "shared" resources. If ALL 8333 customers had a clear shot, and were all downloading files at the SAME time, then, we would all start to see a slow down. But we all know, thats not truly the case here. Granted, there is a finite amount of band width, but still, even if I get 3Mbps on the down, I'm still ahead of the game compared to what I HAD with WB, and what I have with 3G. 4G will most likely never get to me, and the WiMax providers have me surrounded but not covered. You always have to remember that there are always people who have rather limited choices in what they can do.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to hdman

Anon

to hdman
said by hdman:

I'm still a fan of ONLY using NRTC coops which is what I would do with Exede.

It wasn't until Jan. 5, 2012 that

"ViaSat Renews Distribution Agreement with National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative (NRTC)"

»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· 12-01-05

So, I suppose they will have to sort it out, and then start rolling out plans for member cooperatives.

I've contacted my local coop, and at that time a short while back, they knew nothing.

I suspect by late spring that cooperatives will be rolling along.

I've heard ViaSat was going to focus on commercial accounts first...just heard.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

I called mine a few weeks ago, and they called yesterday and they are installing now. I put them off a few months and told them I want to wait and see. Check back with your coop. My guess is that IF you are in an area that is covered, they are starting to roll it out now.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg to hdman

to hdman
said by hdman:

C'mon Greg, you know your making a rather LARGE assumption there. The same holds true for Cable and other "shared" resources. If ALL 8333 customers had a clear shot, and were all downloading files at the SAME time, then, we would all start to see a slow down. But we all know, thats not truly the case here.

No assuming involved. It's simple math, with a sprinkle of "we've been here before". They claim that ViaSat-1 is capable of serving one million customers. What do you figure the odds - if/when they actually even get close to that prediction - that more than 8333 customers might be downloading at the same time? Terrestrial shared broadband is afforded the luxury of expansion. Once a satellite is commissioned however, what you see is what you get.

I got my opening numbers wrong by the way, ViaSat-1 has a 140Gbps transfer rate. That translates to the first 11667 subscribers getting the full monty. But it essentially makes little difference to the eventual outcome.

//greg//
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Yups, unless they get a second in the works like HN did, then it is only a matter of time. Prolly will be quite a while before any problems are noticed but I think you can bank on there being problems in the future if they end with just this one till it gets packed.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to hdman

Anon

to hdman
said by hdman:

I called mine a few weeks ago, and they called yesterday and they are installing now.

I checked at Wildblue's web site,

»www.wildblue.com

and got this with my Zip Code entered:

We plan to be fully launched with exede5 and exede12 services by March 1, 2012.

Exede satellite broadband service will be coming to your area soon!
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to grohgreg

Anon

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

It's simple math, with a sprinkle of "we've been here before".

"We've been here before," now, I think one should rethink it.

Where is ViaSat or even Hughes going to find the next 1/2 million customers?

I really doubt they exist...unless one can get DSL users, who want more speed,

"Right now the focus is on wireless, with the telcos pretty clearly not caring what happens in a large number of landline markets where millions of users are still clodding along at 1.5 to 3 Mbps. "

»Cable is Eating DSL's Lunch in Un-Upgraded Markets [77] comments

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

2 edits

grohgreg

said by DrStrangLov :

Where is ViaSat or even Hughes going to find the next 1/2 million customers?

It's pretty clear that you only read the big print on your NEXIS hits, cuz that question was asked and answered in your own post. Many of those 5 and 12 Mbps customers come from the "large number of landline markets where millions of users are still clodding along at 1.5 to 3 Mbps.." Unfortunately a lot of them won't read the fine print either, until after they're locked into a service commitment that is.

//greg//

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by grohgreg:

Unfortunately a lot of them won't read the fine print either...

Unless hdman has a true "Unlimited" 3G cellphone, he should signup for that Satellite WiMax via ViaSat.

Many of these rural communities can't afford the big pipe, even if your rural local phone company has setup FIOS. Just several years ago, a fractional T3 at 21 mbps was about $11,000.00/month in one rural city. At $11K/month, that's a lot of money and requires at least 500 users at $20.00/month charge just for internet pipe.

Larger City Prices Here: »www.infobahn.com/researc ··· tion.htm

Fast internet is mainly a big city thing...smaller cities and rural areas very seldom see big city speeds at an affordable price. But, those big city plans tend to have restrictions on usage, from light to heavy usage.

As that article suggested, telcos are mostly not supporting DSL, they are into milking wireless users since no government price controls really exist. Hey, some folks are paying $170.00/month for phone/data plans bundled, so why mess with $19.99/month DSL. Hence, economics, due to unregulated wireless charges, is favoring growth in wireless in larger population centers, not in smaller towns and the sticks.

So, its a no brainer, if a satellite carrier can offer better speeds within similar price structures and plans, then DSL users might come aboard.

Hence, if a satellite carrier wants to compete, it has to offer a better speed...jump on board hdman.

These newer birds of ViaSat/Hughes are capable of offering better speeds, and to win over DSL users, they have to maintain good service.
micwa
join:2009-01-13
Seminary, MS

micwa to hdman

to hdman
Here's what someone said on WB Facebook.
quote:
Just got Exede installed today. So far I'm satisfied. Advertised as 12mbps and 3mbps download and upload. Did a speedtest of it and I'm actually receiving 7.7 and 2.3 which is what I was expecting anyways. I've been with wildblue for 2 years now and this is an improvement. Yes satellite sucks because of the delays and caps but this all I can get living out in the country and that's what it's here for people [...]

NHliving
@myvzw.com

NHliving to hdman

Anon

to hdman
I just ordered Exede here in New Hampshire. Tech guy came out yesterday and said I had a line of sight if I took down a big branch on one tree.

He is now going to order the equipment, so the installation should be done within one to two weeks depending on the weather.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by NHLiving:

Tech guy came out yesterday and said I had a line of sight if I took down a big branch on one tree.

Don't be timid trimming that tree. Leaves have a habit of coming back each spring.

//greg//
NHLiving
join:2012-01-29
Salisbury, NH

NHLiving

Yeah, we're probably going to take down the whole tree. Plenty of 'm left anyway.

Dougal40
join:2007-03-14
Ney, OH

Dougal40 to hdman

to hdman
I have converted several to new service and speeds depend on which speed test you use. Speeds from 6 to 16 mps. Testmy runs consistent at 14 mps. Latency isn't too bad. All subs are impressed with new service!!!
DialTone301
join:2012-01-30
Paris, IL

DialTone301

Got moved from the old system to the new system last Thursday by my provider(Rural Electric Cooperative). Went smooth but on Friday morning I had no service for about 1/2 hour....been solid every since.

I have been with WB for 7 years and sat is the only choice where I live. This new service is much better. Speed tests range from 1 meg to 17 meg. Voip (using Microsoft Lync) is now usable...it didn't work for me on the old system. I am happy I made the switch and have been advising friends and family to do it also.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Dougal40

to Dougal40
said by Dougal40:

Speeds from 6 to 16 mps. Testmy runs consistent at 14 mps.

TestMy hasn't been known to return reliable results to satcom subscribers. It has to do with the compression algorithms used (particularly on the uplink). Assuming the Surfbeam2 compression algorithm doesn't differ much from the original, WB has historically recommended Toast.net - specifically the largest file option they offer. It also helps to know where your Exede/Wildblue gateway is located, so you can select the closest Toast server. That reduces the impact on results due to backhaul delays.

//greg//

bobbin
Gone Fishin
join:2001-08-15
Lynchburg, VA

bobbin to hdman

to hdman
New exede modem and dish installed today. Second one for this installer. Even with no particular training, it went rather well. dish alignment is really neat, uses audio tone at dish to prompt fine location. Modem took quite a while to finish upgrades and step through the self checks. Patience is required. In the end a bad piece of RG6 nearly pulled us under. Support over the phone was very slow. Wish i'd have waited for the first rush to finish. Now, to find out about all this google software and the web acceleration stuff. Don't think any of the Ku stuff on the Wild Blue web page is intended for this Ka system. We will need to get some discussions going on things like the special version of Firefox and the Wild Blue computer tune up package.

My dish is branded Wild Blue. The apple time machine hooked right up and took right off. Only thing to do now is use it a while.

First though, time to go fishing!

Bobbin

millsjq
@direcway.com

millsjq to grohgreg

Anon

to grohgreg
I currently have Hughes net(my only choice up to now) and would be interested in more real world experience with excede before I proceed. Using speedtest I seem to averge about 1400ms latency! and using the hughes net speed test my download is at best 1mps. I know my iphone is much quicker with 3G download at work than at home with WIFI through huges net.
Expand your moderator at work

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to bobbin

MVM

to bobbin

Re: New Exede customers, please post

said by bobbin:

Don't think any of the Ku stuff on the Wild Blue web page is intended for this Ka system.

It would be odd for WB to have Ku stuff on their web pages. Are you sure you saw some? They've been Ka since the beginning.
DialTone301
join:2012-01-30
Paris, IL

DialTone301 to hdman

to hdman
Speedtest.net is giving me the most consistent results. Toast isn't even close (verified at work where I can monitor our internet connection). Now getting a consistent 9meg down and 2 meg up. Very happy with how things are working.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

What kind of results to you see with Toast? I know you say its not close, but if you select the largest file download/upload, what speeds do you see?
DogT
join:2009-11-12
Hume, VA

DogT

I've been using Hughes for years now since May of 06 HNS7000 ProPlus plan. Downloads in AM are around 250KBps and around 50KBps in evening and some (not many) evenings useless. Pings are over 1Sec. Just heard of exede tonight and am going to call Hughes to see what they offer. I can hold off for a while to see if any competition comes of it. All in all, hughes hasn't been bad with no other alternative, but can be really exasperating at times, especially late evenings and weekends.

Advice would be appreciated.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by DogT:

Advice would be appreciated.

If you read their current press release, Feb. 1, 2012

First Hughes JUPITER™ Gateway Commissioned and Delivering High-Speed System Traffic

they don't say sqat about their plans.

Traditionally, Hughes' plans have cost more, with a pinch less data package. Their DataBank program only applies to new users, and their current 'unlimited' service during wee hours of morning may or may not be around after launch of Jupiter.

My guess is they will match Excede, but at a higher cost. Excede has indicated they won't overstuff beams, and they are in process of switching existing users over to ViaSat-1 to reduce loading on previous two birds.

Bandwidth is "money" to any satellite provider...so neither one is going to give it away freely.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

You need to condition your fingers to stop putting the "c" in exede, since you will likely be typing it a lot.

Where did you get the notion that the Hughes Bank only applies to new customers? Most 7000 customers don't have it, but they/we are only 25% of all customers.