grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to zeddlar

to zeddlar

Re: New Exede customers, please post

said by zeddlar:

I ecpect we will see package speeds of something like 3 Mb/s, 5 Mb/s and 10 Mb/s for the residential plans with much higher caps. I say this only because HN has already said they were commited to better caps and have already been working in that direction.

That's also consistent with the recent upgrades we HN7000S subscribers have seen. Some have interpreted it as Hughes trying to play catch-up with the competition. But I see it as trying to establish a little parity between existing subscriber plans and future (Jupiter) subscriber plans.

//greg//

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to zeddlar

Anon

to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

we didn't see no major improvements with Viasat

12 mbps down, & 3 mbps up...

Hello!

Sircolby450
join:2005-11-26

Sircolby450

said by DrStrangLov :

said by zeddlar:

Hello!

Yes but as we have pointed out numerous times all of the uses for that kind of speed are negated by the fact that it would put you over your allowance in only 1-3 hours depending on your plan. It's like having a car that will go 250MPH, but it can only travel half a mile.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

said by Sircolby450:

said by DrStrangLov :

said by zeddlar:

Hello!

Yes but as we have pointed out numerous times all of the uses for that kind of speed are negated by the fact that it would put you over your allowance in only 1-3 hours depending on your plan. It's like having a car that will go 250MPH, but it can only travel half a mile.

I think there is something wrong with your math.....but, regardless, I monitor my family's usage pretty closely since I had WB WAY back when it first came out. I have never used more than 5GB in any given month. So, for users like us, this is going to be fine.

Always remember, there are people like me who are stuck without anything other than cellular or sat. I have had cellular for several years now, and my local tower got so over sold that i get barely 300k down. So, as I have said MANY times, even if this service slows from 12M to 1M, I'm still way ahead of the game. WAY AHEAD.

HDMan

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to Sircolby450

Anon

to Sircolby450
said by Sircolby450:

Yes but as we have pointed out numerous times all of the uses for that kind of speed are negated by the fact that it would put you over your allowance in only 1-3 hours depending on your plan.

I have indicated, via research findings, most all people watch the tube (television) with a pinch of internet time....you know, a little email, some web cruizing, and a few videos.

People have habits....most all are not Internet Speed Freaks...

Your concern only applies to those who need to think about consequences when one exceeds their bandwidth CAPS.

Not really an issue...once the freaks get on the throttled slow lane, they too will figure it out.
DrStrangLov

Anon

to Sircolby450
said by Sircolby450:

that it would put you over your allowance in only 1-3 hours

PS: Not an issue, you can buy more bandwidth...new policy...want more, then buy it...Enjoy!

Sircolby450

Sircolby450 to hdman

to hdman
said by hdman:

I think there is something wrong with your math.....

I didn't do any math lol.

"I have never used more than 5GB in any given month. So, for users like us, this is going to be fine."

Yes but the only people that use that little are usually couples with no kids, or very light users. Just because you don't use more than 5GB in any given month, doesn't mean that applies to everybody else.
said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

Yes but as we have pointed out numerous times all of the uses for that kind of speed are negated by the fact that it would put you over your allowance in only 1-3 hours depending on your plan.

I have indicated, via research findings, most all people watch the tube (television) with a pinch of internet time....you know, a little email, some web cruizing, and a few videos.

Those people do not need 12mbps. Anything over maybe 4mbps is severe overkill for any of those uses. That will stream 720p video and even 4mbps is overkill for web browsing, email, etc. Also personally I think most of the "research" findings are a load of crap. They take a small group of people, interview them, and then try to pass it off as accurate data. Also internet usage has been shown to be significantly increasing every year. That is not based off of some small study, but looking at actual real word numbers of data usage. So what may have been true when the study took place, may not be true today. The amount of internet usage per customer is going nowhere but up.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Sircolby450:

Also internet usage has been shown to be significantly increasing every year.

I haven't noticed a change since fall of 2005
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to Sircolby450

to Sircolby450
And I might add that anyone that uses less than 10GB per month is going to get very little if any perks with that extra speed. My cell plan has only 1 to 1.5 Mb/s most of the time and webpages load instantly, it takes less than 2 seconds for amost all but secure sites and even those only take about double that in most cases. You will see faster surfing due to the lower latence and the compression they are doing on this satellite but the only time you will see that speed help is when you are watching what must be those very few stray you tube videos or small downloads. When we were on HN my wife played WOW for about 2 or 3 hours a day and I just cruised these forums and some craigslist and ebay and my oldest son would spend an hour or 2 on a free MMORPG game and facebook and even with no more than that we used around 300 MB a day or 9 GB per month so with less than 5 GB per month you can't be doing much that that speed is going to help with.

DrStrangeLove
You said "PS: Not an issue, you can buy more bandwidth...new policy...want more, then buy it...Enjoy!"

Well I guess that works if you have bottomless pockets but thats going to add up fast, LOL. I make a pretty decent living and I sure wouldn't be buying much extra, LOL

Sircolby450

Sircolby450 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

Congratulations I didn't realize your usage represented the entire United States of America. I mean if your usage hasn't changed any, then I am sure none of the other peoples in the country could possibly be changing. After all if the service suits you it should suit everybody else right? I guess I was just unaware that the standard for internet is "satisfies DrStrangLov."
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar to Sircolby450

to Sircolby450
Oh and I think the math thing Hdman was reffering to was using up the data in 1 to 3 hours. gonna add that up right quick and see just how long it would take. this is at 12Mb/s or the actual download speed that would translate to of 1.5 MB/s

7.5 GB, gone in 1 hour and 15 Minutes
15 GB, gone in about 2 hours and 45 minutes
25 GB, gone in a little over 4 and 30 minutes

So his math might have been a little off but still not off by much and considering people ar seeing speeds above 12 Mb/s then I would say his estimate is about right on target.

Sircolby450

1 edit

Sircolby450

said by zeddlar:

Oh and I think the math thing Hdman was reffering to was using up the data in 1 to 3 hours. gonna add that up right quick and see just how long it would take. this is at 12Mb/s or the actual download speed that would translate to of 1.5 MB/s

7.5 GB, gone in 1 hour and 15 Minutes
15 GB, gone in about 2 hours and 45 minutes
25 GB, gone in a little over 4 and 30 minutes

So his math might have been a little off but still not off by much and considering people ar seeing speeds above 12 Mb/s then I would say his estimate is about right on target.

Lol ok I thought he was talking about my car analogy. Yes I did do the math on that. I was referring to only the 7.5GB & 15GB plan because honestly $130/mo for internet is ridiculous. So my math was indeed correct there in saying 1-3 hours.

So basically what you are telling me DrStrangLov is you think that they have made an improvement by giving us a speed that can only be used for a maximum of 2-6 minutes a day? No you did not read that wrong. You can use 12mbps for a whopping 2.5 minutes a day on the $50 plan and 5.5 minutes a day on the $80 plan. I hope you take breaks between usage. We wouldn't want you getting eye strain now.

I wonder how Viasat is going to "revolutionize" the satellite industry next! I can hardly wait! /sarcasm

Edit: Actually I apologize I miscalculated. You can't use that download without using some upload as well. So tragically the estimate I made above is actually overestimating.
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar

I know it is, I have been paying HN $100+ for 10 years now. I didn.t figure in uploads either but in those short times there isn't going to be enough upload date to amount to much.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

Anon

to Sircolby450
said by Sircolby450:

I didn't realize your usage represented the entire United States of America.

Still confused about "wants" and "needs?"

Both Hughes and Wildblue/ViaSat's consumer plans cover all of these customers' needs.

There's a reason why cellphone companies are dropping the hammer on bandwidth consumption, they all have limited bandwidth, and must limit amount of databytes, so everybody can get a "fair share."

But, somehow your argument suggests satellite carriers should be unlimited to satisfy your wants...even though you fully understand that Land-Line carriers have a technological advantage to deliver more bytes than cellphone or satellite carriers.

Apparently, one has never heard of this tune?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· M1B6E2ww
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar

LOL, now satellite is restricted and doesn't hold a candle to landline services, wasn't you just a few posts back that was swearing Viasat was going to give DSL a run for their money??? And BTW nowhere in that post did he say that he thought satellite broadband should be unlimited, LOL. And if you truly believe that there is a bandwidth crunch in the sell industry then you are just another sucker. That is all a money game and thats all it is. Especially with AT&T. I will agree that 3G service is pretty much stretched to it's limits in most places but there is enough spectrum out there for there to be an end to the crunch but noone that has it wants to use it or let anyone else have it that will use it. Why in the world would you want to use that spectrum and go back to unlimited or alot less limited broadband when you can hof it so noone else can use it and keep low caps and high overages and set your price points on how much data people can use and make a very large fortune. First rule of business and I mean the absolute #1 rule is people are gullible.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to DrStrangLov

MVM

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

Cisco's estimates from 2010: »www.cisco.com/web/soluti ··· ~Country

"In the United States, Internet traffic will grow 3-fold from 2010 to 2015, a compound annual growth rate of 28%"

"The United States's (sic) Consumer Internet traffic grew 51% in 2010."

shile
@pacbell.net

shile to hdman

Anon

to hdman
On a good day I get maybe 1.5 kb/sec with my dialup, but there's no cap and it's cheap, $24/month.

Sircolby450

Sircolby450 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

I didn't realize your usage represented the entire United States of America.

Still confused about "wants" and "needs?"

Both Hughes and Wildblue/ViaSat's consumer plans cover all of these customers' needs.

There's a reason why cellphone companies are dropping the hammer on bandwidth consumption, they all have limited bandwidth, and must limit amount of databytes, so everybody can get a "fair share."

But, somehow your argument suggests satellite carriers should be unlimited to satisfy your wants...even though you fully understand that Land-Line carriers have a technological advantage to deliver more bytes than cellphone or satellite carriers.

Apparently, one has never heard of this tune?

(youtube clip)

Lol don't come in here and try to make it sound like I am trying to say satellite should compete with DSL/Cable and be unlimited.(In fact I have said just the opposite) All I have stated is they have gone for flashy numbers instead of actually implementing a better service. They have 10x the bandwidth, yet we get smaller caps. 12mbps is useless as I have very well demonstrated that it can't be used for any reasonable amount of time. Heck even the old plans with a small bump in speed would have been a far better upgrade.

Also I think you are confused with needs as well. Nobody "needs" internet. Heck you don't need your internet. You should probably just cancel it. You could always go up to the local library for your internet needs. You are confusing needs with wants DrStrangLov and wasting precious money on satellite internet!

Don't try to play the "needs" vs "wants" game with me. This is not a matter of need vs want. This is a matter of getting what you are paying for. We don't need a car, but I bet you would complain if they gave you an engine that wasn't powerful enough to make it go. Basically you are saying everybody should just suck it up and get out and push, because after all you don't need a car.

exedetech
@wildblue.net

2 edits

exedetech to hdman

Anon

to hdman
Hi hdman,

Well i didnt see a whole lot of excede user replies, so i thought
i would give you a shout and tell you its smoking ! [fast]

I am a commercial satellite technician, used, owned, tried,
installed everything out there including various wireless,
cable connections and this exede rocks, for the price !

I got it thru Dish on a whim, and got a better deal than
from traditional dealer sources... so that is an option...
and didnt have to pull out my credit card either that way.

thanks and good luck, btw I am subscribed to a commercial type satellite internet service and i went with this regardless of my contract,
and still save money.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to zeddlar

Anon

to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

wasn't you just a few posts back that was swearing Viasat was going to give DSL a run for their money?

Oh yes, but there was one condition....for those "light" users.

Oh btw, have you considered Dialup...just let them know what you think about Dialup.

If one does not know how to buy a horse, then whose problem is that? If you want a Thoroughbred internet provider, with all the bells and whistles, then move to it, but for me living on a 1/4 section of land, I prefer to be a long distance from those AOL Whiners, especially those without 'standing' in this forum.

Meganano
@pacbell.net

Meganano to exedetech

Anon

to exedetech
I'd like to see the deal in writing before ordering Exede from Dish, but don't see anything on dishnetwork.com. Do you have a link?

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to exedetech

to exedetech
There is no mention of EXEDE being available thru Dish Network......I would like to see it on the website,
Please provide a link or additional (not vague) information for us.
said by exedetech :

Hi hdman,

Well i didnt see a whole lot of excede user replies, so i thought
i would give you a shout and tell you its smoking ! [fast]

I am a commercial satellite technician, used, owned, tried,
installed everything out there including various wireless,
cable connections and this exede rocks, for the price !

Finally an affordable and usable satellite option !

I got it thru Dish on a whim, and got a better deal than
from traditional dealer sources... so that is an option...
and didnt have to pull out my credit card either that way.

In any case if anyone wants or needs additional help or advice
about this or anything else, i can be reached @

thanks and good luck, btw I am subscribed to a commercial type satellite internet service and i went with this regardless of my contract,
and still save money.

Meganano
@pacbell.net

Meganano to hdman

Anon

to hdman
We haven't heard from the new Exede customers for a while. Have you guys burned through your caps yet or have you learned how to use restraint. (Is life still good?)
JSheridan
join:2006-07-03
USA

JSheridan

said by Meganano :

We haven't heard from the new Exede customers for a while. Have you guys burned through your caps yet or have you learned how to use restraint. (Is life still good?)

Rumor has it that there won't be any FAPing or DAPing or whatever for at least the first couple of months. Supposedly when they start selling additional gigs is when they will start enforcing the limits.

Meganano
@pacbell.net

Meganano

Anon

FAPing and DAPing! Is that like LOLing? Sounds like a free for all. Maybe I should join the party before it's too late. LWMHOMM
DogT
join:2009-11-12
Hume, VA

DogT

I would go to exede just to get away from HN, however, I'm not going to throw away $380 on to cut my nose off.

It's a toss up.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to shile

to shile
said by shile :

On a good day I get maybe 1.5 kb/sec with my dialup, but there's no cap and it's cheap, $24/month.

$24 for dial up is expensive
chances14

chances14 to zeddlar

to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

LOL, the tower I draw off of has a population of about 800 with another 200 rural residents maybe in range of that tower, the people in town can't get a signal because the town is in a valley and the signal overshoots them, there is a creek I can almost jump across for the grandest attraction for people to move there so and at least 30 chicken farms with 8 to 10 houses each and 2 ranches and a protien plant at the chicken plant which all works together to stink those same said pilgrims out before they come house hunting so I think I am safe from the pilgrims, LMAO. Just that protien plant alone can gag a maggot at 10 miles down wind and that tower sets right beside that plant. Also if you take a look on the Millenicom site, you will see that the speeds on the verizon side of the service are pretty decent really. I dunno where you get your info but as usual it sounds to be from about 10 years ago. #g is pushed to the limit in urban areas but there again, if you live in one of those areas there is a good chance you don't need satellite or cell internet. Oh and before you try to throw this one out there, the nearest major highway is about 15 or so miles from that tower and covered with towers of it's own so no congestion there either.

you're lucky.

this is what i get for cell phone service through verizon

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to compuguybna

Anon

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

There is no mention of EXEDE being available thru Dish Network...

A post over at Wildblue World indicates "Dish and NRTC have 10gb caps vs Excede's 7.5GB cap"

»wildblueworld.com/forum/ ··· tcount=1
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar to chances14

to chances14
Yeah, alot of towers are congested and sorry yours is one of them. There are alot of small town rural towers out around here but just by looking at Verizons coverage map, you can tell it is mostly due to a retirement village town about 20 miles to our east and one of the largest lakes in Oklahoma just about 10 miles from here and Verizon wanting to fill the gap between for commuters between the 2. I wish it could be the same for everyone and maybe with isp's scrambling to try a cover rural areas it might actually happen someday but who knows when.

BTW DrStrangeLove I am an ex wildblue customer and was considering switching to exede till they blew it with the caps and I have been a satellite customer for 10 years and done my homework on the hows and whys so I think that gives me just as much right to be in this forum as you.