uniqs

DrStrangLov
@wildblue.net

DrStrangLov to bak2sat

Anon

to bak2sat

Re: New Exede customers, please post

said by bak2sat :

monitor how much bandwidth I'm consuming.

Neat program: NetWorx is a free and simple, yet powerful tool that helps you objectively evaluate your bandwidth situation.
rdurham
Premium Member
join:2002-10-13
Bowdon, GA

rdurham to hdman

Premium Member

to hdman
Have had mine for 3 weeks and everything has worked great, I'm very happy with it so far.

Exede Tech
@wildblue.net

Exede Tech to hdman

Anon

to hdman

Show me another satellite service besides Exede that does this !
said by hdman:

I was a beta customer for WB early on, and stayed with them for 2 years until 3G became available. Now, with the new Exede service, I am actually thinking about going back. Yes, I have a 50G package on 3G for $30 per month, but speeds are lacking and I really only use about 5GB per month.

If there are any NEW Exede users out there, please post your thoughts, reviews, etc. of the speed. I am very aware of the latency issues, etc, but am not a gamer and I don't use VOIP.

Thanks!

Hi Some info.
Commercial Satellite Tech 25 years experience. Exede is my preferred service over my previous hi speed commercial data acct,

So far anywhere, I havent seen anyone who is actually using the service complain , myself included.

I pay the same price for Exede as I do for wireless, with double the
FAP 10g vs 5g and more than 20 times the speed,12meg vs 500k

I cant see any reason why every satellite user would not want this service.... even if it costs a few buck.

Voip VPN YouTube Netflix Blockbuster all work great !

No it isnt as "great" as cable, but I have great mountain views instead of city life.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to hdman

to hdman

Activation/Startup/Install Fee should be LESS than $149

The $149 install is a bit big of a chunk to shell out on a startup these days.

The service itself seems like its rolling out ok. Caps are still kinda low for such hype in the beginning.

I did pass the idea by 2 people I know who are about 8 miles up the street and can't get any fast internet. they were cool about the usage and monthly fee, but when I mentioned the $149 install fee and a possible $49 pole mount, they immediately said NO.

WildblueUser
@myvzw.com

WildblueUser to Exede Tech

Anon

to Exede Tech

You can't see any reason why a satellite user would not want Exede? I will give a huge reason. The data cap. What good is Netflix or Blockbuster with a 10GB cap? Even with the 25GB cap, you are not going to get a lot out of those services.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to compuguybna

Anon

to compuguybna

Re: Activation/Startup/Install Fee should be LESS than $149

said by compuguybna:

pass the idea by 2 people...when I mentioned the $149 install fee... said NO.

Cellphone game is based upon higher monthly fee....no such thing as a 'free' cellphone.

These days, $149.00 is not that much...and those who can't afford it might need some credit counseling.

It's that two year commitment...that bites for those not sure where they will be financially (i.e., layoff mainly) in one year from now.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to WildblueUser

Anon

to WildblueUser

said by WildblueUser :

I will give a huge reason. The data cap.

SideBar - Time Warner Cable is trying out a usage-based billing strategy again... this time as an optional plan for customers to save some money. The company is offering tiered packages that reward customers with $5/ monthly discount if they stay under 5 Gb of usage. Exceed the 5Gb limit and subs could pay up to $25 extra per month. The 'Essentials Broadband' program is being offered in select regions in Texas.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov

Re: Activation/Startup/Install Fee should be LESS than $149

(1) I wasn't talking about a cellphone.
(2) Who are you to dictate who needs credit counseling? The two people I mentioned the alternative are family members, and I wouldn't spend $149 on an install/activation fee either.
said by DrStrangLov :

said by compuguybna:

pass the idea by 2 people...when I mentioned the $149 install fee... said NO.

Cellphone game is based upon higher monthly fee....no such thing as a 'free' cellphone.

These days, $149.00 is not that much...and those who can't afford it might need some credit counseling.

It's that two year commitment...that bites for those not sure where they will be financially (i.e., layoff mainly) in one year from now.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by compuguybna:

(2) Who are you to dictate who needs credit counseling?

Yeah, I saw that too. Opened the thread, and had to immediately race for a sponge to wipe up the arrogance that spilled out. It's no more complicated than having the intelligence and willpower to spend within ones means.

//greg//

n1581j
@wildblue.net

n1581j to Meganano

Anon

to Meganano

It would be interesting to see what the speeds are after say 6 months to a year of adding new users. I never liked the "upto" quoted by WB. I rarely get over half the advertised speed and as for my averages, they make a mockery of the whole "upto" statement rarely exceeding 10% of that advertised. At certain times of the day, say between 5 and 7 pm I wish I was back on dialup, (17bps on WB just doesn't cut it), except when the weather is bad then I lost my dial tone. Of course that still happens with WB except then it's signal lost. Not throwing good money after bad until a similar set of circumstances applies to Excede.

I just hope that those of you who jumped feel the same way this time next year
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to Exede Tech

Premium Member

to Exede Tech
said by Exede Tech :

I cant see any reason why every satellite user would not want this service.... even if it costs a few buck.

1. It costs more.
2. must lease equipment
3. must pay postage and return TRIA and modem upon termination of service or WB charges your credit card.
4. two year service commitment
5. installation fee
6. Wildblue's Network Management Policy
7. Wildblue's reputation
8. reduced usage caps
9. service call needed to install new equipment
10. possibility that Wildblue will overload and/or cripple the speed on spot beams like they did with Anik-F2 and Wildblue-1
11. promises "up to" speeds instead of minimum speeds
12. Data Allowance Policy that severely slows, restricts, and/or suspends your service, or certain uses of your service, until the end of your monthly measurement period.
13. Too much legalese to comprehend in Exede customer legal documents
14. existing customers must wait in line to get Exede behind new customers

Any more reasons?

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Spice300:

8. reduced usage caps

Usage based, when compared to WB, this is an unknown!

AcceleNet may be more efficent than Packeteer SkyX Accelerator
diragono
join:2005-07-21
Decatur, TN

diragono

I have Verizon LTE, but the stupidly low usage caps have me thinking about switching to Exede and using LTE as my gaming backup. I use about 15 gig a month on Verizon, I'm on the 10gig package paying $80 a month+another $50 for the 5 that we go over. I would rather pay $80 for 15gig Exede and drop back down to the 5gig plan on LTE for $60. I would get a total of 20gigs a month for only $10 more than I'm paying now.

Decisions, Decisions.

WildblueUser
@wildblue.net

WildblueUser to Spice300

Anon

to Spice300
15) New Recovery Act users west of the Mississippi get plans with higher data caps and Wildblue refuses to offer such plans to other users.
16) Wildblue's pompous attitude when they say the data plans they are offering are enough to meet the needs of its "rural" customers.

And for those that question the data cap level...they offer greater speed but reduce the usage caps even more over their old legacy systems.
equivocal
join:2008-01-23
USA

equivocal

said by WildblueUser :
15) New Recovery Act users west of the Mississippi get plans with higher data caps and Wildblue refuses to offer such plans to other users.
Hard to win on this one. If VS nee WB offers everyone the RA plan then the critics pound on them for taking gubberment money and not giving the RA customer anything to show for it.

Sircolby450
join:2005-11-26

Sircolby450 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov :

said by Spice300:

8. reduced usage caps

The difference will be miniscule if any. Most anything of any significant size on the web is already compressed.(Images, video, etc.) You can't compress something that has already been compressed.

afdasdfag
@wildblue.net

afdasdfag to diragono

Anon

to diragono
said by diragono:

I have Verizon LTE, but the stupidly low usage caps have me thinking about switching to Exede and using LTE as my gaming backup. I use about 15 gig a month on Verizon, I'm on the 10gig package paying $80 a month+another $50 for the 5 that we go over. I would rather pay $80 for 15gig Exede and drop back down to the 5gig plan on LTE for $60. I would get a total of 20gigs a month for only $10 more than I'm paying now.

Decisions, Decisions.

Millenicom has a hotspot plan, 10 gigs 4G plus 10 gigs 3G, 20 gigs total, for about $70 plus startup cost (data amount and price are promotional, but locked in). It uses Verizon's network, no contracts required, I suggest you look into that.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna

You forgot to ADD that you must BUY the hotspot device for $99!!!!!

afdasdfag
@wildblue.net

afdasdfag

Anon

That would be covered in "plus startup cost" (that's why I put it in ) I didn't know what it was off hand at the time to quote it.

To quote the website "$99.99 device purchase fee, $49.99 activation fee and $15.00 shipping fee as well as the prorated balance of the first month service fee."

So ~$165 startup cost, vs ~$150 with Exede (depending).
said by compuguybna:

You forgot to ADD that you must BUY the hotspot device for $99!!!!!

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

If you signed up for MC today it would be $221.83 UP FRONT!
151.83 (device cost, activation, shipping)
+ $70 1 month of service.

I've had it, I know about the costs.

afdasdfag
@wildblue.net

afdasdfag

Anon

So you pay for a month of service, and you get a month of service, in addition to the other start up fees, in advance.

With Exede, start up fee, plus cost of month of service (either billed before or after the month, I've had Wildblue so long I don't remember which it is, because it was something like $300 up front to -purchase- my equipment/install and quite honestly I don't remember if the monthly service was billed right away from 6 years ago).

Basically, cost to startup with a month of service, within the same ballpark pricewise.

Guess I didn't feel the need to go into it that far since it was clear enough in my first post, but whatever.
said by compuguybna:

If you signed up for MC today it would be $221.83 UP FRONT!
151.83 (device cost, activation, shipping)
+ $70 1 month of service.

I've had it, I know about the costs.

Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to equivocal

Premium Member

to equivocal
said by equivocal:

Hard to win on this one. If VS nee WB offers everyone the RA plan then the critics pound on them for taking gubberment money and not giving the RA customer anything to show for it.

Wildblue could give people who qualify for the Recovery Act free installation, no activation fee, no equipment lease fee and a discounted monthly service fee like they did with the old service. There is no need to give them higher usage caps except to claim that they are getting broadband Internet access by satellite while the rest of us get shafted.
Spice300

Spice300 to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov :

Or it may not be more efficient, and you have been reading marketing hype about AcceleNet.
equivocal
join:2008-01-23
USA

equivocal to Spice300

to Spice300
said by Spice300 :
There is no need to give them higher usage caps except to claim that they are getting broadband Internet access by satellite while the rest of us get shafted.
The one thing they could have done for no actual expense was raise everyone's caps to match RA levels. The other terms (who, where, how much, etc.) are specified by the RA program and the legislation behind it. At least that's the gist I get from WB's comments.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Actually the highest plan is listed as having an 8 Mb/s download speed so I immagine the RA customers are going to get modems with set speed limits to make up for those caps. Not that those speeds are shabby, but still a far cry from what others are going to see for a while.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by zeddlar:

so I immagine the RA customers are going to get modems with set speed limits

Not practical from the modem manufacturing/distribution perspective. Data speeds are programmed (throttled) on an individual account basis at the gateway servers. That is; data identified by account "so-and-so" in the packet headers get processed at up to "this many" kb/s until FAP'd, at which point they will be reduced to "that many" kb/s

//greg//
rza49311
join:2010-11-11
united state

rza49311 to hdman

to hdman
said by AlmontJohn:

What was the issue with Cisco VPN? I use it on the old Wildblue service and it works well enough. I can't imagine it being bad with Exede.

said by hdman:

I use it for both remote desktop and Cisco VPN. I am having no issues with it at all.

HDMan

Thanks.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to grohgreg

to grohgreg
Ok, whether it is in the modem or at the gateway, doesn't matter, I will still bet this is how they intend to reduce the impact of the larger caps is by throttling the speeds of the RA customers. Otherwise, why wouldn't they advertise the service as 12 Mb/s + the same as the rest of the exede 12 plans instead of have price based speed plans like the old plans? It doesn't really matter to me other than simple curiosity though.

Bsark
@wildblue.net

Bsark to hdman

Anon

to hdman
I had the new Exede 12/3 service installed at my house. I had Hughesnet which was as slow as dial up. The new exede service is great so far. Very fast speeds and VOIP will work with it. There is a small delay, maybe 1 sec or less. I have done several speed test and I get anywhere from 8mbps to 16mbps download and right at 3mbps upload. Huge difference from what I was getting with Hughes. Hopefully they will keep the service running smooth and not overload it. I was rescheduled 4 times, but they finally showed up on a Sunday and in the pouring rain. The tech said he was overloaded with installs. I would recommend this service to others like me who cannot get cable or DSL.
coysolar
join:2012-03-12
Carmel, CA

coysolar to hdman

to hdman
I am a new excede customer ... for 30 days now

Please see the summary at the bottom for the short version!

Service started on 2/11/12 with the Excede Viasat 15GB plan with 12Mb down and 2MB up.
Our sales person actually guaranteed VOIP but would not give a guaranteed latency number.
Viasat plans are all the same speed with various data caps just like the telecoms bill you.
I feel data caps are a responsible way for BW managment ... and that is really fine to pay for what you use. It is an incentive to not wast the bandwitdh resources just like turning off a light in your house when you do not need it.

The installation was very similar to the other stories about hitting a block at the authentication process. The local installation TV dish company was very bad with confirming and following directions ... but they got here by the end of the day after a few miles driving in circles. Fortunately our two installers ... in training and on their second system had the hardware install down enough to not question it .... and did know to just keep trying to reboot and go to the authentication page until the wild blue site was working properly. After 2 hours of rebooting I had to kick them out since I had to leave. I ask them to come back another day. They actually took the LNB in case I decided to give it a try.... and end up with service before they completed the install!
They came back a week later as promised but did not call to set up an appointment and could not get in the locked gate. They came the next day and did the authentication one more time ... after the LNB was re-installed ... and it just started up.

I have a technical background in electronics, computers, and even customer services.
I was excited to maybe become an installer when I found out about the better Viasat system with lower latency and high speed on the up load side.
It looks like the sales people make about $300 per sale (after probing our sales person) and $149 for the install person.
Unfortunately it looks like they do not have a need for new installers or sales people since I have not even goten a reply for my dealers app.
It only makes since to use the existing cheap local Dish TV crews and keep the sales profits inside Excede marketing dept.

Many people around here in the canyon I live in have no cellular or DSL much less any wireless companies. Many are offgrid with no phone lines. They are hard up for good service. I have at least 25 neighbors in my canyon that would change over to the service if they new that I was the installer ... and could actually trust me as a local face to be upfront with service and performance with a quality install... maybe even a free dish tweak after a storm or two.
Oh well ... at least exceed will take forever to fill up the BW with the reputation they have already started for bad service.

On the up side my service/hardware has worked very well for about 30 days except for the problem below...even in the heavy rain/cloud cover (about 0.5 in/hr) and high winds/gusts to 50mph.
I am located about 100 miles south of San Fransisco Ca on the west coast about 1 miles inland and 800ft altitude. We are usually above the fog line.
I have had a steady 18.5Mb down and 2.5 Mb up speeds with 600-800mS latency. Skype app gives me the average rating popup. It works good for 800mS delay... but not so good on speaker phone.

The one exception to this is about 2 hrs on 3/09/12 Friday with down services. The viasat rep was not of much use in trouble shooting .... didn't really know about what lights blink or stay steady.
I checked all connections ... unpluging and repluging in .... they all seemed fine. The dish was still firmly attach to deck base .. very stable. No insects or bird poop.

There are 4 lights on the modem: pwr, rcv,xmit and Ethernet. All the lights except the pwr light should flash ... with the 3rd light from the top(upload/xmit) flashing the most. They should be on most of the time (about 90% duty cycle) with about 5hz flashes. They will just tel you all the lights should be on when it is working. During the boot up process they come on one by one. The pwr light actually flashes just a bit ... from the bleed over light of the other lights if you view the modem at an angle .... very annoying and impossible to troubleshoot if you do not look at the brightest angle to make your eye less sensitive to the bleed over. I rebooted about 4-5 times ... and almost tried to realign the dish ... but decided to just wait.
I made a service request and the rep said they would call on Monday. She also mentioned it would be free this time since we are in the 90 days period. I informed her that I expected Wild Blue to maintain their own equipment since I was renting it. Her answer was that they just charge for vandalism or physical damages to the modem or dish .... including branches hitting the dish.
Still no call at 4pm monday. They will probable show up unannounced again when we are gone ... waisting time but maybe getting paid from wild blue for a service call. I actually tried to cancel the service call with exceed ... but their system seems to be down for "upgrading system" at noon during day business hours. Hmmm oh well.
In about 2hrs service was back. The rep said "she had no information about any service or outages" ... but I have to guess it was something more on the other side ... having nothing to do with my modem or dish or LNB. I did not reboot at this point and service just started.

The usage page has been down at Wild Blue since service has started. The wild blue site has this message:
"We're sorry, our data usage meter is currently offline.
During this time we will not slow your access speed except for extreme usage cases."

...not sure what this means by extreme ... but it seems we have only used about 9GB per the rep with about 30 hrs of project TV showtime episodes(40 shows) and regular browsing/email for the month. That should mean about 2 hrs per day on the 15GB or 3hrs/day on the 25GB plan.... not bad!

Summary of Experiance with Wild Blue Excede Viasat service:

The Viasat system works very good with 18Mb down and 2.5Mb up rates with 800mS latency times.
Good/average operation with skype.
Good performance in rain/wind/clouds at 800 ft alt.
Terrible almost non existent customer service and installation services.
They seem to just be following the AT&T model of "most customers phones work most of the time" but when you need to change or fix something expect a headache and 1-2 hours of calls and recalling .... and then again to get maybe the 3rd rep/employee that still cares or knows a little bit.
One of the best things I have learned with these type of profit/marketing heavy companies is .....to get action just recall and get a rep that cares .... try it out when you get to a road block.