Search similar:

uniqs

WildblueUser
@myvzw.com

WildblueUser to Karmana

Anon

to Karmana

Re: New Exede customers, please post

Best of luck with your new install. With the amount of money you had to shell out for the upgrade and the 25GB package, that is a lot for the current performance you are seeing.

DrStrang
@184.20.74.x

DrStrang to Karmana

Anon

to Karmana
said by Karmana :

...I live in NE WA....server by ping time" located in Hayes or Caldwell Kansas.

If one is using NRTC (COOP/REA), there is an "admin tool" URL which list specifics on your satellite and beam number.

But, from literature I have, you are using Anik-F2 satellite, and using beam 12/62, which is an augmented beam with both existing Wildblue customers and with new Exede customers on it.

Your actual Gateway is Phoenix (not Riverside). If you do this DOS trace command,

tracert 24.25.224.142

you will see on about six hop Phoenix ID, like this:

vlan263.car1.Phoenix1.Level3.net

So, if you do a speed test, and you are on Phoenix Gateway, it would be best to use a sever in Phoenix, Dallas, or LA.

Coming out of Phoenix, where some 2 million folks live, speed tests will vary when going to Dallas or LA...I think Phoenix is the internet access point for many living in Arizona...so when their primetime comes, it slows down on routes going to LA or Dallas. However, you are on an augmented beam, so satellite traffic is shared between existing Wildblue customers and new Exede customers.
DrStrang

DrStrang to Karmana

Anon

to Karmana
said by Karmana :

Note- the installer told us that Exede is experiencing extreme, wide-spread issues, and that it was likely we would NOT get the advertised speed for a while.

I suspect its more like fine tuning Phoenix and Tucson Gateway traffic...not a system wide issue.

I think there is an AcceleNet server in Phoenix, and a Tucson Gateway (12 mbps) along with Phoenix Gatway ( 5 mbps ) feeds into this AcceleNet server.

Again, if you are on Phoenix Gateway, one is sharing with existing Wildblue customers, and most likely, there is some fine tuning happening here also.
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

1 edit

Spice300 to Karmana

Premium Member

to Karmana
If you are using beam 62, then you have Excede5 with a 25 billion byte monthly cap. You should be getting 5 Mb/s download and 1 Mb/s upload speeds. You are using the satellite Anik-F2 instead of Viasat-1. But if you did the speed test around 8 am, then your download speed should be close to advertised. Congestion would not slow the speed that early in the morning. Try using Test My Network for the speed test.

RTC
@wildblue.net

RTC

Anon

here is what i think guys I think that the delay like othere's have said for the cap can go two ways. it could be hook to see if any of us are stupid enough to bite, i my self am not going to bite im happy right where i am on Anik F2 on the pro plus package. secondly there are to many unknowns about the FAP they will cap it but they will wait till they have you by the butt then cap it.

i have studied the new equipment, 1 cable vs 2 thats all same look same way and alot more in price. i allmost feel for it till i started reading about it and what people were saying i cancled my order right after i looked at what things were being said. one more thing that is not being said.. once you go to excede the new equipment you can never go back to the old equipment to get the prices there. you are stuck and no one is saying that a rep from Viasat told me that under the table off the record. once you bite your hooked just remember that when you fall for there speeds because they have augmented beams and in the fine of the fine print you cant get what you think you will get. for 129.00 a month 25gb i was going to get 5megs down and 1 meg up.. bull crap im not falling for that crap.. to many unknowns im staying where im at. the old equipment.. grandpa used to say ( if aint broke to fix it) im staying right where im at.. word to the wise you will regreat it if you fall for the hook and bite.

good luck.

DrStrang
@184.20.74.x

DrStrang

Anon

said by RTC :

here is what i think...cap can go two ways.

Let's see, if Exede offered wonderful DAPs that exceeds Wildblues, then guess what happens? Yes, the herd stampedes off Wildblue and moves to Exede's greener pastures.

Let's not make up these conspiracy theories...human behavior is quite predicable. Those on the higher tiered Wildblue packages would be the first to stampede...incentives, incentives.

.. once you go to excede the new equipment you can never go back to the old equipment

Have you considered dialup...no contract these days..."all you can eat." Btw, who would want to live in the 1950s?

a rep from Viasat told me that under the table off the record. once you bite your hooked

12 mbps, 5 mbps, or even 2 to 3 mbps service...you are right, I'm "hooked."

Contract says 2 years...with a penalty of $15.00/month for left-over months. Much, much cheaper than cellphone contracts. Remember, "In the U.S., it can be easier to end a marriage than to leave a loveless relationship with a cellular company."

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits

grohgreg

said by DrStrang :

Let's see, if Exede offered wonderful DAPs that exceeds Wildblues, then guess what happens? Yes, the herd stampedes off Wildblue and moves to Exede's greener pastures.company."

Um, hello.....isn't the whole point of this transition to flush all remnants of the original Wildblue plans? It's gotta be expensive to support TWO incompatible sets of modems and gateways. Right now, they're operating two separate and incompatible networks. It's clearly more economically practical to slim down to a single (Surfbeam2) network. The only problem is, folks aren't quite as stupid as the Exede marketeers hoped they'd be. As demonstrated by the previous poster, they're becoming wise to to the "less for more" ploy.

Now if you can document supply side economics that impede a swift and efficient transition, that's one thing. But please don't pee on our boots and tell us it's rainin'.

//greg//
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by grohgreg:

...isn't the whole point of this transition to flush all remnants of the original Wildblue plans?

Let's see, ViaSat operates three Birds, and your plan is to have all of the herd move to ViaSat-1's pastures to graze on that lush 12 mbps throughput.

Just watch Hughes....object is to kept consumers on all of your birds while upgrading two other birds.. if you give them an incentive to migrate to a faster bird with bigger buckets, can's you figure it out?

PS: Hello...

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Strange - think first, respond second. The upgrade to which I refer upgrade is a function of the modem and gateway, not of the satellite. The transition to which I speak is from the Surfbeam1 modem and associated kilobit plans - to the Surfbeam2 modem and megabit plans. Therein lies the upgrade, and no (immediate) satellite change is necessarily involved.

That said, Hughes is aggressively abandoning leased transponder space in favor of their own Spaceway3. As customers migrate, they do not refill the vacated slots. Plus, they're consolidating remaining subscribers to in some cases a single leased transponder on any given satellite. Each leased transponder they clear out saves them something like 300k/month. Point being, ViaSat is certainly concerned with eventually halting the cash outlay involved in the lease of space on Anik-F2. You can bet they're already following Hughes lead in that respect.

//greg//
Gregg K16
join:2005-04-03
Mendocino, CA

Gregg K16 to hdman

to hdman
I've just signed up, and thought I'd post to this thread before actually being connected.

So far my experience has been that they moved my installation date from Wed next week to Tuesday next week.

So far my internet life has been-
4 years of dialup (didn't know why streaming radio didn't work. Went through hell trying to figure it out.
10 years of Directway/Hughes (Great until right around when Ebay started, and the company oversold their bandwidth. Tore my hair out. Lost years off my life.)
3 years of Verizon/Millenicom (Sometimes good, mostly erratic and horrible. Miserable experience. Got a Cyfre amp. Then a parabolic grid. Then LNR-400 coax. Just never cut it. Oh, and I should add that the grid was up in a redwood tree. I climbed that thing every other day. How I didn't die is a mystery to me. UGH!)

I was only about one hour away from calling AT&T to sign up for their 4G in my area. Went to get the mail, and Excede had a flier in my mailbox. I almost threw it away due to the word "satellite".

And I'm so ecstatic I can hardly hold it in. This may be the first real broadband I've ever had.

We'll see. I'll believe it when I see it AND when it's still working years later.

I'd sure like to hear the experiences of people with Excede. So far I'm not really seeing much. That must be a good sign.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

upgrade is a function of the modem and gateway...Hughes is aggressively abandoning leased transponder space

Hughes situation is a no brainer...Kaband economics are cheaper, more bang for the corporate buck. They have to get off of Ku leased transponders...when they have Ka birds.

ViaSat's transition to Surf2 will take time, and I rather suspect ViaSat and Telestar are contractually hooked, long term. As can be seen via Augmented beams map, Anik-F2 plays a future role in most western beams in Exede's plans.

ViaSat must be using Adaptive Coding and Modulation on Anik F2: 12/62 and WB-1: 113/163; thus, blending Wildblue users with Exede users on these beams, and other western beams. I have not confirmed this yet, but I'll bet users on beams 12/113 are using Phoenix Gateway, instead of Riverside.

Hence, when users upgrade to Surf2 (Exede), they pony up the bucks. Its too capital intensive to switch everybody for free...but as noted before, when an user's TRIA dies, its cheaper to upgrade than fix it. Thus, over next several years, vast majority will be shifting to Exede when their equipment breaks, and getting better throughputs.

Within next two years, I predict both Hughes/ViaSat will offer plans for users on marginal DSL/Cable/WISPs, with bigger CAPs/DAPs and lower prices. As Wildblue users migrate to Exede plans, this will increase total bandwidth/throughput available. Both Hughes/ViaSat plan to go after DSL/Cable/WISPs users...so things will change.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to Gregg K16

to Gregg K16
said by Gregg K16:

I'd sure like to hear the experiences of people with Excede.

I highly suggest getting the Networx program (byte counter), and learn how to configure it for the alarm to go off for a given daily usage amount.

»www.softperfect.com/prod ··· networx/

There have been some glitches in the past, but I'm not hearing about any throughput issues now. This is all new equipment, so glitches are normal/expected.

Generally, when people don't complain, it means the service is OK...it works for them.

I'm on Exede 5 mbps plan...no complaints here.