uniqs

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to compuguybna

Anon

to compuguybna

Re: New Exede customers, please post

said by compuguybna:

Intersting that it still lists in the wildblue.net domain.

AT&T has supplied a large number of addresses to Wildblue...I have no idea what Exede's 12 mbps addresses are, but it would not surprise me they could be "left over" addresses when Wildblue started in 2005.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

That tower was put there for the company I work for originally by alltel and was rebuilt after a tornado took it out last year by Verizon and it is fiber fed which they also did when they rebuilt it. Sorry to burst your bubble. With a couple of questions I can tell you anything you want to know about it, even the contractor that built the tower itself and the contractor that built the original. The only thing I can't tell you is a specific date as to when they will light it up with LTE. The only info we have so far is that it should be before the end of this year if everything stays on schedule. This is the reason I jumped on the hotspot.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

1 edit

chances14 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov :

Certainly true, however, the DSL market leaders

768/kbps down, with 128 kbps up

vs

12 mbps down, with 3 mbps up

Other than gamers, vpners, and those doing lots of https, I don't think so. Many web pages these days require downloading much more databytes than in 1994.

Having a constant turtle like internet speeds can never catch up to a fast rabbit who delays a moment at the start line.

my friend had a 768kbps dsl connection and pretty much every web page loaded faster than it did on my hughesnet connection when i was getting a constant 2.5mb down

Youtube videos might buffer but you don't have to worry about the caps.

Sircolby450
join:2005-11-26

Sircolby450 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

A slow connection can stream 480p Youtube just fine.

Footnote - FYI, here's a simple Youtube video parameters...notice the Bitrate column in Mbits/s.

»www.youtube.com22/watch? ··· 0_YK9rB4

[att=1]

Was that chart supposed to help your case? Looks like you just proved my point to me. For 854x480(Which is actually higher than the 480p standard) it only requires 0.8-1Mbit/s. Which means a 768k could easily stream 480p with very little to no buffering. Even if it is at the upper end of 1Mbit/s the amount of buffering needed would be minimal. A little bit of buffering is better than not being able to watch at all in fear of hitting data caps.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Sircolby450:

Was that chart supposed to help your case?

Which means a 768k could easily stream 480p

DSL speeds vary with distance from their equipment, and quality of their lines.

Translation - DSL service ranges from 128 Kbps to 3 Mbps and higher.

"ADSL can generally only be distributed over short distances from the telephone exchange (the last mile), typically less than 4 kilometres (2 mi), but has been known to exceed 8 kilometres (5 mi) if the originally laid wire gauge allows for further distribution."

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As ··· ber_line
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to byzw

Anon

to byzw
said by byzw :

Can someone post their typical clear sky downstream signal to noise ratio?

Wildblue has various specs that only those who work on equipment can see.

I don't know if ViaSat's Surfbeam II modem allows users to see satellite signal data.

Its been too long since this topic was addressed, but I think on Wildblue's data, it was having higher numbers (negative) was better.

Easiest way to test is to do a speed test after/before primetime.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to bak2sat

Anon

to bak2sat
said by bak2sat :

Am I correct in the $49/month plus $9.99/month for the equipment lease and a $150 installation fee being standard for Exede?

There are two entities involved here:

1. ViaSat

2. National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative (NRTC) - Coops

So, it may depend upon who does your service.

I've heard that a person can buy equipment instead of leasing it.

As they say, "No equipment to purchase - monthly lease fee covers equipment cost, including lifetime replacement for equipment failure not caused by customer service call fee required for equipment failure not included "
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to zeddlar

Anon

to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

Millenicom

Footnote - I would highly suggest reading this short article below...I see this type of throttling coming in your future...on a different note, I see T-Moblile allows first 100 Mbytes at full speed, then poof goes the speed.

»AT&T Wages Quiet War on Grandfathered Unlimited Users [99] comments

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

Well.....I pulled the trigger. When I left WB years ago, it was for a 3G carrier in my area who had a cool modem/router all in one and had a decent speed of 1M down and 512K up. Those speeds have dropped to 300K and 100K because they have over-sold the local tower.

Yes, I know, the same can happen with WB and it probably will. But......EVEN if it drops to half of advertised, I'm still going to be happy. Right now, its once again painful for simple tasks of browsing and getting emails.

So, its being installed on Thursday. I will post a review this weekend once I have played around.

HDMan
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
First off, AT&T has nothing to do with Millenicom and second of all Millenicom has already discussed the 3G signal degradation that verizon implemented on unlimited users a few months ago if you go over 2 GB on a 3G device and they stated that this will not effect third party resellers devices in any way and it will never affect any 4G device of theirs or third party vendors. They have a contract with Millenicom which only allows for a maximum 20 GB cap and as long as MC sticks with that limit then it unlikely that any of MC's users will ever see throttling because before LTE starts getting overloaded to much LTE advanced will be being released which will further enhance the amount of bandwidth availible so I don't see many problems in the future. But go right on ahead and dream up all the problems you want to for me and I will go right on enjoying not having the problems you are having pipe dreams about, LOL. And btw, I have went over that 2 GB on my phone since that was implemented and my tower doesn't even have enough of a load for that to affect me either. I still get my 3 bars right here at my desk just like always and the same speeds as usual. Just like satellite, your service is going to depend on where your tower is located and the load on that tower at any givin time and also how the tower was built and its backhaul line are going to affect service as well. We have a brand new 500' tower with a fiber line and not many people to use it and thus service is great.

bak2sat
@pioneer.com

bak2sat

Anon

Well I called and I got told "maybe" Friday for a beam opening up for my area. (Southwest GA). He promised that he would call me back.

I am using the number on the mybluedish.com website. Is that the best way to get Exede installed. The number I used was 877-326-1889. How do I know if a COOP is offering installation?

Thanks!

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by bak2sat :

Is that the best way to get Exede installed.

Might punch your Zip Code into these sites:

Exede: »www.exede.com

Wildblue: »www.wildblue.com

NRTC: »www.localwildblue.com

If you have a local Coop, I would consider them...in other words, the closet installer is desired most...and one who has been in business the longest.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to hdman

Anon

to hdman
said by hdman:

Well.....I pulled the trigger

Congratulations...I really see Exede as a provider who will and can deliver...they want to go after marginal DSL/Cable providers, and its rather doubtful the service will end up in the toilet, imho.

PS: Do try to use that IP address: 192.168.100.1 and see what's inside..thx.
said by zeddlar:

Millenicom has already discussed

Read the fine print....we reserve the right to change our policies!

I've seen changes in Wireless from "Unlimited" to throttling after first 100 MegaBytes....and the trendline points to more throttling and "limited" bandwidth caps.

Maybe you will be lucky, but I've heard the sad stories, and seen industry change its way...since wireless has grown/grown with increased data usage...some 40% per year growth, iirc, with AT&T.

Get it in writing, without the right to change our policies, otherwise, you too someday may experience what millions of others have experience...suck service during primetime, after the pilgrims come onboard.
rdurham
Premium Member
join:2002-10-13
Bowdon, GA

rdurham to hdman

Premium Member

to hdman
Got it installed today, so far everything is working great. Will post more after a few days.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

What package did you get?
said by rdurham:

Got it installed today, so far everything is working great. Will post more after a few days.

rdurham
Premium Member
join:2002-10-13
Bowdon, GA

1 edit

rdurham

Premium Member

I started off with the 25gig package.

cghbuilder86
@direcway.com

cghbuilder86

Anon

I called the Exede people to ask whether I would get 5mbps or 12 mbps in my location. She told me 12. And I live in north Mississippi. Does that sound right? I was thinking only the Eastern part of the country would see the 12. I would not put it past them to lie because I told them I was only thinking about it and wanted to ask a few questions and she was literally twisting my arm to try and get me to sign up right then and there. You honestly wouldn't believe how obnoxious it was. Thats a big, big turn off to me. You call to inquire about something and they lay it out like anything aside from signing up right then and there is simply not an option.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by cghbuilder86 :

...would get 5mbps or 12 mbps...in north Mississippi.
she was literally twisting my arm to try and get me to sign up

Yes, 12 mbps there...you can type your zip code in after going to these sites:

»Re: New Exede customers, please post

Maybe CSRs get a bonus...who knows...just a CSR.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

Install is happening today!! I will have to get used to the latency all over again, but I think that will be OK. I warned the kids that once again, when they type a URL, it will wait about a second and then the data will flow, etc. Should not be an issue.

It will be nice to FINALLY have something faster than 1M in my HOUSE....in the middle of nowhere.....

Yes, I know, it may be temporary once it gets over sold, etc....so the naysayers need not comment. I doubt it will EVER get below 1MB in the 2 years I will have it. I expect a 4G or Wimax carrier to pop in sooner or later. They have me surrounded now....

HDMan
hdman

hdman

Premium Member

Bummer....install got moved. It will be a few days. No problem. Will post when completed.

HDMan

Sircolby450

Sircolby450 to hdman

to hdman
said by hdman:

Install is happening today!! I will have to get used to the latency all over again, but I think that will be OK. I warned the kids that once again, when they type a URL, it will wait about a second and then the data will flow, etc. Should not be an issue.

It will be nice to FINALLY have something faster than 1M in my HOUSE....in the middle of nowhere.....

Yes, I know, it may be temporary once it gets over sold, etc....so the naysayers need not comment. I doubt it will EVER get below 1MB in the 2 years I will have it. I expect a 4G or Wimax carrier to pop in sooner or later. They have me surrounded now....

HDMan

Well as we all know if you are going to drink the Kool-Aide get it while its fresh! It is going to take them a while to over fill the bird. Maybe you will get lucky and Hughesnet will put them in their place and force them to come out with some decent plans. Although I am not going to hold my breath on that one either. Who knows....Hughesnet may screw the pooch too.

I see no problem with an educated user jumping in though that knows what he/she is getting in to. The issue I have with Wildblue is their approach is intentionally deceptive.(But like I said obviously you know exactly what you are getting into, so for you this does not apply) But hey, like I say if you are going to jump on there is no better time than to do it while the bird is empty. Enjoy it while you can!

Anybody seen any more firm dates on when Jupiter is launching?

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Sircolby450:

It is going to take them a while to over fill the bird.

Still drinking Hughe's Kool-Aide? There is a difference between over-fill and filling up their beams to capacity.
said by Sircolby450:

It's all "pie in the sky" until Jupiter is operational. A dead horse issue for now...its like VaporWare!

Wikipedia - Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially canceled.

Sircolby450

Sircolby450

said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

It is going to take them a while to over fill the bird.

Still drinking Hughe's Kool-Aide? There is a difference between over-fill and filling up their beams to capacity.
said by Sircolby450:

It's all "pie in the sky" until Jupiter is operational. A dead horse issue for now...its like VaporWare!

Wikipedia - Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially canceled.

"Still drinking Hughe's Kool-Aide?"

Lol there is no Kool-Aide drinking going on here. I think both companies are shady at best. You will never hear my say that I think Hughesnet is a good company to have internet from. They are marginally better than Wildblue at best and depending on what beam you are on they may be worse. I am simply stating that it might be the lesser of the two evils in certain situations. When it comes down to it they both suck. It is just a battle of who sucks the least.

"There is a difference between over-fill and filling up their beams to capacity."

In the satellite business unfortunately filled to capacity almost always means over-filled. Sure off peak may have plenty of capacity, but when prime time rolls around...Crash. Internet usage per customer is on a very steep upward trend. All of the extra capacity will be gobbled up in no time. When you give somebody 5-12mbps they are going to use more.

"It's all "pie in the sky" until Jupiter is operational."

Much like Viasat's claims that they won't overfill their satellite. We will see what happens IF and that is a big IF they can even attract enough to fill it up. Also the satellite is likely in the final stages of testing and likely already built with millions already poured into it. It is unlikely that it will not be launched.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Sircolby450:

I think both companies are shady at best.

Change is starting now at ViaSat, even for existing Wildblue users.

WiMax protocol being used on Surfbeam 2 modems is some 50 to 75% more effecient with non compressed databytes.

For instance, on Anik F2 bird, they have essentially not added users since launch of WB-1....but on those western beams as Trias fail, users will be switching over to Surfbeam 2 system. Within several years, many users will see improvements in speed. The same will apply to those on WB-1...either they upgrade for $150.00, or wait until Tria fails, and then upgrade.

Hence, those on previous birds, Anik F2 & WB-1 will be seeing their speeds increase during primetime during next several years, and if they upgrade to Surfbeam 2 system, even greater speeds possible.

ViaSat-1 on the other hand, they will not overstuff these beams...but will quit allowing new installs. Even if a single beam was nearing full capacity, WB-1 and Anik F2 beams could be used for 5 mbps service in those ares under ViaSat-1's beams.

Hence, if everyone on Anik F2 was converted over to Surfbeam 2 system, there would be a great improvement is speeds since 50 to 75% of data bits would be eliminated.

Thus, with Surfbeam 2 system, their total capacity is large, and there are not enough users who could overload their total system (Anik F2, WB-1, & ViaSat-1).

And, since they want to impress those on marginal cable/dsl, ViaSat will have the bandwidth to convert over these folks. And my guess is plan prices will drop with bigger quota buckets.

Thus, within next several years, there is going to be a big change in satellite delivered broadband....lower prices and higher quota buckets.

Sircolby450

Sircolby450

said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

I think both companies are shady at best.

Hence, if everyone on Anik F2 was converted over to Surfbeam 2 system, there would be a great improvement is speeds since 50 to 75% of data bits would be eliminated.

That 50-75% only applies to uncompressed data, which today is probably the minority. Images, Videos, and Downloads, which are the big chunks of data moved, are already compressed. That doesn't leave very much to benefit from their compression.

It is far to soon to say if there is going to be change in satellite broadband. Personally I hope you are right and I end up eating crow. I can't say I am convinced yet. Ka band brought about significantly more bandwidth, but users also started using more data, which put it right back to peak time slowdowns. I would not be surprised to see the same thing happen again. Every satellite has been advertised as the big game changer, but personally I have seen that fall through the cracks too many times to be convinced. If they keep the plans they have right now they have failed.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Sircolby450:

Images, Videos, and Downloads, which are the big chunks of data moved, are already compressed. That doesn't leave very much to benefit from their compression.

Let's make the web faster

Use compression to make the web faster

Authors: By Arvind Jain, Engineering Director and Jason Glasgow, Staff Software Engineer

Every day, more than 99 human years are wasted because of uncompressed content. Although support for compression is a standard feature of all modern browsers, there are still many cases in which users of these browsers do not receive compressed content. This wastes bandwidth and slows down users' interactions with web pages.

Uncompressed content hurts all users. For bandwidth-constrained users,

»code.google.com/speed/ar ··· ion.html

Sircolby450

Sircolby450

said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

Images, Videos, and Downloads, which are the big chunks of data moved, are already compressed. That doesn't leave very much to benefit from their compression.

Let's make the web faster

Use compression to make the web faster

Authors: By Arvind Jain, Engineering Director and Jason Glasgow, Staff Software Engineer

Every day, more than 99 human years are wasted because of uncompressed content. Although support for compression is a standard feature of all modern browsers, there are still many cases in which users of these browsers do not receive compressed content. This wastes bandwidth and slows down users' interactions with web pages.

Uncompressed content hurts all users. For bandwidth-constrained users,

»code.google.com/speed/ar ··· ion.html

As I stated though the big bandwidth hogs are already compressed. Pictures, Video, Downloads, etc. are already compressed. You can't compress them any more.
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to Sircolby450

Premium Member

to Sircolby450
said by Sircolby450:

Viasat filed a lawsuit against Space Systems / Loral for using their technology in HughesNet's satellite, Jupiter. Consequently it may never be launched into orbit.
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar to Sircolby450

to Sircolby450
I agree with Sircolby, I will believe it when I see it, we didn't see no major improvements with Viasat and I doubt we will see alot with Jupiter either. I think HN will go with much larger caps and stay with package priced speeds though, and those speeds may be faster but I doubt anyone will see the really fast speeds aside from top paying business subscribers like now. I ecpect we will see package speeds of something like 3 Mb/s, 5 Mb/s and 10 Mb/s for the residential plans with much higher caps. I say this only because HN has already said they were commited to better caps and have already been working in that direction. IMHO this would be a much smarter way do dish out the bandwidth than giving everyone a ferrari and telling them them they can drive a block to a mile depending on their plan. Thats just my 2 cents worth though and I could very well be wrong, only time will tell.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Spice300

to Spice300
said by Spice300:

Viasat filed a lawsuit against Space Systems / Loral for using their technology in HughesNet's satellite, Jupiter. Consequently it may never be launched into orbit.

That's a helluva stretch. The suit is between ViaSat and Loral. I'm not sure how/why you think Hughes/Jupiter would be affected. Would you prohibit Ford from selling the Taurus if you found out it used the same 3rd party transmission as your neighbors Chrysler 300?

//greg//