Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits

Why Cogeco Subscribers are NOT Notified

Let me explain what happened when I took my Internet account to Cogeco last month (and not my first time dealing with them - previous occasions were fine).

Due to recent problems (some experienced, some grapevine) with other ISPs, I asked MANY pre-scripted (by ME) questions of their CS & Tech reps for a couple of hours, several days before I called back to actually place my order, and another hour or more's worth on the day I placed the order.

= = = = =

ONE of my Q&A logs which might be relevant to the folks who say that they were NOT Notified of usage amounts (or of other changes to their ToS) could be THIS (paraphrased) :

Q : What notifications will I receive regarding usage ?

A : There will be one at 85% and another at 100% of your cap.

Q : I already have another email address which I would like to use for all correspondence with Cogeco and do not plan to be using any addresses which Cogeco may provide, as I have had several ISPs over the years and do not wish to change my email address each time.

Can I give you this email address for your records ?

A : No.

Q : So when Cogeco wishes to tell me something by email, where will it go ?

A : It will be sent to the primary email address which we assign with each new Internet account.

Q : What happens if I do not wish to manage yet another email address, as I have several already, mostly webmail.

A : Just a moment, I'll check with someone....

[back quickly enough]

A : You can go into the 'My Cogeco' page and set the box up to forward copies of all incoming emails to wherever else you wish.

Q : I see. - Is this the same place where I would go in order to check my monthly usage ?

A : Yes.

Q : Well that's not so bad, if I only need to do that once.

= = = = =

OK now, WHO can see any flaws in what I have just explained, and what might they be ?

(I'll post answers later.... )

--

"It's COLD in here, Mister (Premier) McGuilty ! - PLEASE, could I have just a wee piece of COAL for the fire ?"
-
Read about : »UBB Nightmare

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
looks reasonable to me.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to Davesnothere
They end up in spam?
Nobody actually does this?

boredguy

join:2002-01-27
St Catharines, ON
reply to Davesnothere
Of all the things that Cogeco does that i disagree with this isn't one of them. Standalone mail clients all allow multiple pop3 accounts, and pretty much all webmail places allow you to check pop3 accounts as well. The CS rep gave another option with email forwarding.
--
What would Jesus do for a Klondike bar?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
reply to Davesnothere

OK, here goes :

1) NONE of this info was volunteered - I HAD TO ASK, and had to lead them by the ear, all of the way thru that line of questions !

And when such crucial matters as notifications of changing usage caps, overage fee levels and limits (essentially FFP - 'Future Fine Print') stand to get lost, THAT'S NOT A GOOD ENOUGH WAY TO HANDLE IT.

I'm a techie, and am also an informed consumer most of the time, but only because I consciously CHOOSE to be, and few other folks would even think to ask most of the stuff that I did (this part was just 'the tip of the iceberg'), so what happens to THE AVERAGE FOLKS ?!

2) Cogeco SHOULD allow an 'outside master' email contact in the customer profile - practically all other companies do.

That first "No" from them (in my OP) was BULLSHIT and unprofessional, no matter WHAT the reason, and yes, they also quoted me security concerns when I asked why, which I forgot to mention above.

3) I had to call in 'after the fact', in order to set up my email and the user portal to check my usage, etc.

Cogeco should be more proactive than that, especially when ToS legalities are at stake.

4) The person who told me of the forwarding idea was a tech with whom I asked to speak during my first research call.

Another tech, on the day I placed the order, said that nothing could be done, and I did not volunteer to him what the first tech had said, but instead called back later, and a 3rd tech said the same as the 1st, so I suggested that they re-brief everyone there about this sort of thing.

It was a Canadian call centre, BTW.

--

"It's COLD in here, Mister (Premier) McGuilty ! - PLEASE, could I have just a wee piece of COAL for the fire ?"
-

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by Davesnothere:

Another tech, on the day I placed the order, said that nothing could be done

When I had my "surprise! we're billing you for 2 months overages", that's what I was told - the notifications can only go to my configured Cogeco email account, "due to privacy reasons". Those words were used explicitly. I was not told forwarding was an option and saw nothing like that in the control panel.

I would note that when I reviewed that email inbox - with the CSR on the phone with me - I did notice that the November notifications went into my inbox but the December ones hadn't. When I pointed that out she acknowledged there were issues with the December notifications going out en masse. So she credited me the one month's overage charges. When I asked why this wasn't done automatically she had no answer. I put DSL/MLPPP in place that week and cancelled Cogeco internet (residential) shortly thereafter.

This is a modus operandi, no two ways about it.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil
»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Davesnothere
My emails from Cogeco all go through another email account. Now I haven't had an 'overage' email so I can't say for sure that an email of that nature would come through the same way but I'd be surprised if they used a different one.
--
Currently auditioning for profound and witty posting .sig

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by kim:

My emails from Cogeco all go through another email account. Now I haven't had an 'overage' email so I can't say for sure that an email of that nature would come through the same way but I'd be surprised if they used a different one.

I've got an 85% one and it is sent to all your email addresses with Cogeco so for example I got 6 or 7 at once.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
all "@cogeco.ca" addresses?

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 edit
Yes. I get a batch all at once and hard to miss as it fills the inbox. Every single active email address I have with them not just the primary one.

I'll add this does not seem to concern certain people in the household, and you all know who you are, as I pay the bill and they stream away without a care in the world.

The ironic thing is the other people I share with respect this but someone directly in my household, and you know who you are in case you are watching my posts, could care less.

Maybe the router password might change someday and I'll forget it or the breaker will go to your computer circuit, and you know which one, and it'll take forever to get an electrician out.

You've been warned, and you know I'm talking about you, about your usage. Read this thread oh nosey one: »[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON
said by peterboro:

Yes. I get a batch all at once and hard to miss as it fills the inbox. Every single active email address I have with them not just the primary one.

I'll add this does not seem to concern certain people in the household, and you all know who you are, as I pay the bill and they stream away without a care in the world.

The ironic thing is the other people I share with respect this but someone directly in my household, and you know who you are in case you are watching my posts, could care less.

Maybe the router password might change someday and I'll forget it or the breaker will go to your computer circuit, and you know which one, and it'll take forever to get an electrician out.

You've been warned, and you know I'm talking about you, about your usage. Read this thread oh nosey one: »[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

Just leave that on a note somewhere with a knife through it on the wall. That'll get their attention.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by got_milk:

Just leave that on a note somewhere with a knife through it on the wall. That'll get their attention.

I'd have some fun with that, print off OhNo's last 3 Cogeco bills ($2500 in usage) and photyshop my account number and MAC on them, knife those to the wall with an "Ante up, a$$hat!"

Mike
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by dillyhammer:

I'd have some fun with that, print off OhNo's last 3 Cogeco bills ($2500 in usage) and photyshop my account number and MAC on them, knife those to the wall with an "Ante up, a$$hat!"

But it would be hard to do that with a straight face (and clear conscience) if you had already left Cogeco.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to kim
said by kim:

My emails from Cogeco all go through another email account.

My 'paperless billing' notifications go to my own personal email address no problem. Never missed one. So I guess letting me know I owe them money works, but letting me know I may owe them more for UBB shortly doesn't.

Bloody shameless and sneaky, is what it is.

Mike
--

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
Sounds overly bureaucratic to me, can any of our guys from Cogeco confirm this?
--
Currently auditioning for profound and witty posting .sig

help4u

@cgocable.net
reply to Davesnothere
One simple step will insure that you receive your Cogeco usage details if you choose not to use cogeco email. You need to obtain your email address and password and login to webmail at my.cogeco.ca, once you have logged into this email you can then step up and automatic forward to any address you wish. This will only need to be done once.

There are two ways to monitor your usage, the proactive approach (setting up my account) and monitoring on a regular basis, or you have the option of the less proactive approach just waiting for an email to advise you that you have hit 85%.

These two options are very simple and should be very easy for any tech skill level.

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON
said by help4u :

One simple step will insure that you receive your Cogeco usage details if you choose not to use cogeco email. You need to obtain your email address and password and login to webmail at my.cogeco.ca, once you have logged into this email you can then step up and automatic forward to any address you wish. This will only need to be done once.

There are two ways to monitor your usage, the proactive approach (setting up my account) and monitoring on a regular basis, or you have the option of the less proactive approach just waiting for an email to advise you that you have hit 85%.

These two options are very simple and should be very easy for any tech skill level.

That's not the issue at hand here - we've already discussed that you can forward emails from your Cogeco account, but:

a) You can't configure a third-party address to receive these notifications to instead of having to rely on forwarding

b) Cogeco's notifications are spotty at best (unless it's related to billing :/)

shrug

@videotron.ca
Here in Quebec the company has to mail you (snail mail) since they changed the consumers laws here a little bit ago.

Makes me wonder if Cogeco mailed their Quebec customers and didn't bother with the Ontario customers.

or if they just ignored Quebec consumer laws altogether and didn't bother for anyone?

As for an ISP email system. I only know a few who even bother with it. But Cogeco (unlike others) forces it upon you? I find that strange.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to got_milk
said by got_milk:

b) Cogeco's notifications are spotty at best (unless it's related to billing :/)

I believe I got one set of 85% and 100% after I switched to the business account, then no more. At some point someone did look into it, but they never recurred. (I was making a point to knock it over to see if I got them - no.) On my account it doesn't matter as I rarely go over, and I don't pay overages. However, if this happens on one account it may happen on others.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to got_milk
said by got_milk:

That's not the issue at hand here - we've already discussed that you can forward emails from your Cogeco account, but:

(a) You can't configure a third-party address to receive these notifications to instead of having to rely on forwarding

(b) Cogeco's notifications are spotty at best (unless it's related to billing :/)

(c) {Really (a), IMNSHO} is that THEY DO NOT VOLUNTEER MUCH - IF ANY - OF THIS INFO AS A MANDATORY PART OF THE SIGNUP PROCESS ! (You are forced to ASK, as I luckily did.)

--

-

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by kim:

My emails from Cogeco all go through another email account.

My 'paperless billing' notifications go to my own personal email address no problem. Never missed one. So I guess letting me know I owe them money works, but letting me know I may owe them more for UBB shortly doesn't.

Bloody shameless and sneaky, is what it is.

Mike

@ Kim and DH :

In each of these cases, HOW did you arrange for THAT MUCH to happen ?

--

-

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
Click for full size
said by Davesnothere:

@ Kim and DH :

In my case, I added my email address to the paperless billing interface and clicked 'confirm'. Done.

That's the way it should be done for UBB notifications.

Mike
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
said by dillyhammer:

said by Davesnothere:

In my case, I added my email address to the paperless billing interface and clicked 'confirm'. Done.

That's the way it should be done for UBB notifications.

Thanks - That's more than I knew earlier.

But there are flaws in that method, too.

[1] NOBODY, of 5 or 6 Cogeco reps to which I spoke (CS nor Tech) mentioned that capability, EVEN when I asked my line of questions about emails and such as per my OP.

[2] What if I WANT a paper statement ? (and I DO, but they assumed that I did not, and STILL did not offer the info in [1] )

In your screen shot, the email notification is only bundled if you choose ONLINE statements - DISCRIMINATION ? - EXTORTION ? - OTHER forms of ARM-TWISTING ? - I'll be green on most things, but I LIKE paper statements for things which cost me money.

BTW you can still look at the online versions regardless, once you have portal access. - I checked.

[3] Actually a followup Question : Will ONLY the UBB 85% and 100% usage warnings come thru, the way you set it up, or did the change of ToS notification ALSO come thru there ?

--

-

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by Davesnothere:

[3] Actually a followup Question : Will ONLY the UBB 85% and 100% usage warnings come thru, the way you set it up, or did the change of ToS notification ALSO come thru there ?

UBB warnings never came through on my personal email. They only came in on the @cogeco address (and only the 2, the usage went back to normal after I bitched, and I quit them (residential) shortly thereafter. The ToS came through on my personal email, and any time I changed my services, even in the smallest degree, the ToS were always resent, to my personal email. They said this was required by law. This happened several times, and I always got them. Always.

So its like "send any account notifications to the email address the user set up in their profile, but never send UBB warnings there."

Now what would a reasonable person make of that?

It stinks to high heaven.

And if what they say is true, that resending the ToS after a change in services or terms is required by law, why the hell would they send out 10's of 1000's of paper letters when email notifications apparently satisfy that law. Or at least, do both for good measure.

Mike
--

help4u

@quickclic.net
reply to got_milk
I understand what the issue is.

This is how you solve it!

The notification system works for me every time. You just need to check the correct email or have the information sent to the email address you choose to use. It is a very simple system that would take all of 5 minutes to setup.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
said by help4u :

The notification system works for me every time. You just need to check the correct email or have the information sent to the email address you choose to use. It is a very simple system that would take all of 5 minutes to setup.

thank you /thread
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
google this "(sqrt(cos(x))*cos(200*x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(9-x^2), -sqrt(9-x^2)"

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by Davesnothere:

UBB warnings never came through on my personal email. They only came in on the @cogeco address (and only the 2, the usage went back to normal after I bitched, and I quit them (residential) shortly thereafter. The ToS came through on my personal email, and any time I changed my services, even in the smallest degree, the ToS were always resent, to my personal email. They said this was required by law. This happened several times, and I always got them. Always.

So its like "send any account notifications to the email address the user set up in their profile, but never send UBB warnings there."

Now what would a reasonable person make of that?

It stinks to high heaven.

And if what they say is true, that resending the ToS after a change in services or terms is required by law, why the hell would they send out 10's of 1000's of paper letters when email notifications apparently satisfy that law. Or at least, do both for good measure....

Now, I'm confused on that point.

I know why you had to mask your email address on the screenshot, but I had assumed (famous word) that when you said "In my case, I added my email address to the paperless billing interface and clicked 'confirm'.", that you meant that you were able to manually enter an email address of your choice into that form.

From your later post, I now get the impression that you had to accept an address which the form proposed.

Which was it ?

And you say that the 85 & 100 usage notices went to your Cogeco email address ? - Was that what you had specified in that web form ?

BTW, the ONLY ToS which they sent me THIS time around was to my Snail Mail (as nobody had at that time established ANY email addresses with me for ANY purpose - so much for being modern), and they got THAT wrong too, putting my service address on it rather than my PO Box # (though I HAD explained to them the difference up front, as small towns do not have postal delivery in Canada, where Cogeco conducts much of their business, and therefive should KNOW already).

Fortunately the local CanPost folks know who I am and still matched it up.

SNAFU, it seems....

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by help4u :

thank you [/thread]

Nonsense to your [/thread] - that was NOT a good enough answer !

What we have here is a clusterfuck of poorly considered/designed communications policies, and Cogeco's people do NOT proactively make sure that we know them when we start service with them !

It MIGHT be simple enough, IF THEY MADE A POINT OF TELLING US WITHOUT US KNOWING TO ASK !

How many times do I need to say it ?!

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

[1] NOBODY, of 5 or 6 Cogeco reps to which I spoke (CS nor Tech) mentioned that capability, EVEN when I asked my line of questions about emails and such as per my OP.

I'm not surprised. One of the last times I talked to technical support, they tried to tell me a 192.168.100.x address was publicly routable. They also thought I made up RFC1918.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by ruddypict:

said by Davesnothere:

I'm not surprised. One of the last times I talked to technical support, they tried to tell me a 192.168.100.x address was publicly routable. They also thought I made up RFC1918.

Hmmm....

I could easily do better that that.

I wonder - are they HIRING ?
--

-