Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

Startup Weekend - look for one near you

quote:
Startup Weekends are weekend-long, hands-on experiences where entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs can find out if startup ideas are viable. On average, half of Startup Weekend’s attendees have technical backgrounds, the other half have business backgrounds.

Beginning with open mic pitches on Friday, attendees bring their best ideas and inspire others to join their team. Over Saturday and Sunday teams focus on customer development, validating their ideas, practicing LEAN Startup Methodologies and building a minimal viable product. On Sunday evening teams demo their prototypes and receive valuable feedback from a panel of experts.
»www.startupweekend.org/

Nice, CA, France
January 27 - 29

Minsk, Belarus
January 27 - 29

St. Louis, MO, USA
January 27 - 29

Bergen, Norway
January 27 - 29

San Jose, CA, USA
January 27 - 29

San Luis Potosi, Mexico
January 27 - 29

Storrs , CT, USA
January 27 - 29

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
February 2 - 4

Calgary, Canada
February 3 - 5

Montreal, Canada
February 3 - 5

New York City EDU, NY, USA
February 3 - 5

Enschede, Netherlands
February 3 - 5

Brasilia, Brazil
February 3 - 5

Athens, Greece
February 10 - 12

Jackson, MS, USA
February 10 - 12

Anchorage, AK, USA
February 10 - 12

Mumbai, India
February 10 - 12

Valencia, Spain
February 10 - 12

Norman, OK, USA
February 10 - 12

Greater Lafayette, IN, USA
February 10 - 12

Astana, Kazakhstan
February 10 - 12

Constantine, Algeria
February 9 - 11

Perth, Australia
February 10 - 12

Twin Cities, MN, USA
February 10 - 12

Amman, Jordan
February 16 - 18

Miami of Ohio, OH, USA
February 17 - 19

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
February 17 - 19

Lahore, Pakistan
February 17 - 19

Redmond, WA, USA
February 17 - 19

Detroit, MI, USA
February 17 - 19

Guadalajara , Mexico
February 17 - 19

Columbus, OH, USA
February 17 - 19

Los Angeles, CA, USA
February 24 - 26

San Francisco, CA, USA
February 17 - 19

Daejeon, South Korea
February 17 - 19

Evansville, IN, USA
February 24 - 26

San Francisco EDU, CA, USA
February 24 - 26

Nairobi, Kenya
February 24 - 26

Christchurch, New Zealand
February 24 - 26

Lansing, MI, USA
February 24 - 26

Johannesburg, South Africa
February 10 - 12

Galicia, CA, Spain
February 24 - 26

Boston , MA, USA
February 24 - 26

Bogota, Columbia
February 24 - 26

Blake

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

»www.kickstarter.com/

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

I like the idea of KickStarter as well and it helped start BootstrapSolar »www.kickstarter.com/proj ··· pack-kit from whom I purchased a really cool solar power unit for my mobile devices »www.bootstrapsolar.com

I've done enough companies that I'm convinced and know that you don't need VC to create a nice viable company, in fact I've seen VC kill nice companies so thinks like Startup Weekend, KickStarter and Bizspark are very cool things designed to help people develop ideas beyond their own desktop.

Blake

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to Link Logger

to Link Logger
Wouldn't something like Startup Weekend just out your idea to the public? I get the point behind it, and I have none around me, so it's moot for me, but I don't think I would go up there and say I have this great idea to a room full of strangers any one of which can walk away with it and do it themselves.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

There comes that moment in the history of every project where you have to pull back the covers and let someone see the product. When that occurs could be when you go to market, or if you need VC or otherwise help, then it happens before going to market.

Most VC aren't interested in anything less then a working prototype anymore as the VC funding for mere ideas fortunately died with the Dot Com Implosion of stupidity.

Most VC aren't interested in stealing your idea as they aren't developers and they are careful about their reputation otherwise they will be looking for another line of work. The other thing people have to understand is there are 7 Billion people on the planet and the last truly original idea occurred about two hundred years ago, so what a VC is looking for isn't the idea as likely they have seen it before six times, its if you can execute the idea that matters.

You can also attend your local Demo Camps, for example in Calgary we have »democampcalgary.com/

Blake

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

Ah - Ok, I understand now. I read it more like spill your idea, rather than show your working prototype. Yea, being that close to market, it would be more understandable to go to something like this.