uniqs

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Need to kill a mole.

I want a mole dead. There are a lot of non-working tricks, tips, and baits to get rid of moles. I need to know if any of you have used a mole bait successfuly. If so, what was it?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

I put a hose in the hole and run it till water comes out another hole.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Lurch77

MVM

to Lurch77
My neighbor is retired. He has all day to do whatever he wants. He gets a lawnchair, a cold beverage, and a shovel. He sits and waits until he actually sees one moving through the yard and then whacks it with the shovel. He stomps their tunnels down first to make it easier to see them move.

I've tried all the baits and poisons. The exhaust hoses, the castor oil, the bubble gum. They don't work.

The "spike" traps rarely work. You need about 8 of them. I'd say I've killed *maybe* 10 moles in 10 years with spike traps.

My most successful kills have been using the "flood 'em out" method. I find the highest hole or trail and stick a water hose in it. Some times it will literally run for 20 minutes without seeing a trickle of water or a mole. Eventually their tunnels all flood and the moles come up shortly thereafter. They all seem to come up at once, so it's nice to have a BB gun or a partner. Then you either shoot or bash them as the run away above ground. They are actually kind of fast.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Lurch77

to Lurch77
I use revenge smoke bombs.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Doesn't Melatonin See Profile know how to do something like this?

Seriously though, I'd probably camp out and wait till he pops his head out and zap him with a pellet rifle. That's what I did as a kid when we had moles/gophers as a kid and the poison baits and smoke didn't do anything.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Shooting them is the only true way to get rid of them!
They will come back!

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Lurch77

MVM

to Lurch77
The best advise I have seen and it somewhat worked when I seemed to have a lot in my yard was to remove their food. I used a strong grub killer to spray my yard with, gradually they went somewhere else, probably a neighbor's yard.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to Lurch77

to Lurch77
There are moles in the winter in Wisconsin?

Agent Smith2
join:2008-07-07
New York

Agent Smith2 to Lurch77

to Lurch77
Time to play whack a mole then.

Plan Ahead
Premium Member
join:2006-04-30

Plan Ahead to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
This:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· EFHeo6mw

Skip to 2:44 for the action

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Use one of these.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ira01c0Q

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to mix

Premium Member

to mix
said by mix:

There are moles in the winter in Wisconsin?

During a normal winter, no. But this winter, it appears so. We have had very little snow, a very shallow frost line, and have had mostly above freezing temps.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to Plan Ahead

Premium Member

to Plan Ahead
I love the explosive method demo'ed in the videos. But I am sure that if I were doing that, I would have some smart-ass rodent that looped his tunnel back around to under my feet and I would be atop the explosion.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to sk1939

MVM

to sk1939
That's fun and all, but I want to see carcasses. Unless there's a body count, it didn't work.

iknow
@optonline.net

iknow to Lurch77

Anon

to Lurch77
that rodenator is expensive, just an LP gas/oxygen mix injector with an ignitor on the end. just injecting LP gas, since it's heavier than air may work. without the ignition. the chlorine gas from "pool shock" or bleach should work too. pour some of that in the holes, and it should seep down to the rest of the tunnels.

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

They all seem to come up at once, so it's nice to have a BB gun or a partner. Then you either shoot or bash them as the run away above ground. They are actually kind of fast.

Or a dachshund or two.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Our Jack Russell will nail them if she can. But she will also further excavate their holes if I let her, further ruining the lawn.
sbcretired
join:2006-01-07
Scottville, MI

sbcretired to Lurch77

to Lurch77
I had an infestation of moles not gophers.
Poison worms for moles, was skeptical, but 2.5 yrs later, still no moles.
Get the poison worms at the local "farm store"

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to iknow

Premium Member

to iknow
Bleach will also kill the roots of your lawn, and will poison your water if you have a well.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member

The Pig to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

I love the explosive method demo'ed in the videos. But I am sure that if I were doing that, I would have some smart-ass rodent that looped his tunnel back around to under my feet and I would be atop the explosion.

Then you need to change your avatar to Porky Pig or Willy Coyote!
The Pig

The Pig to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

Our Jack Russell will nail them if she can. But she will also further excavate their holes if I let her, further ruining the lawn.

But then you are stuck feeding and cleaning up shit of some mutt for 15-20 years!

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to dandelion

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

The best advise I have seen and it somewhat worked when I seemed to have a lot in my yard was to remove their food. I used a strong grub killer to spray my yard with, gradually they went somewhere else, probably a neighbor's yard.

This is the best way to solve the problem, but it's a slow solution. If you get rid of the grubs, the moles will stay in your neighbors' yards.

Here in the northeast, Japanese Beetle grubs are the primary mole food. You can buy this stuff called Milky Spore and put it down on your lawn. It's a bacteria that attacks the grubs while they are near the surface of the lawn. The grub population then dies and the next year you have no Japanese beetles and no moles.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi ··· ky_spore

»www.stgl.us/gstore/produ ··· uct=4006

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I'll lend you my border terrier. He brought me 3 of them this past summer. He also catches birds. Not sure how.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

2 recommendations

Lurch77 to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig
said by The Pig:

said by Lurch77:

But then you are stuck feeding and cleaning up shit of some mutt for 15-20 years!

Yeah, but she makes up for it by being a great motorcycle riding partner.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member

The Pig

Premium Member

Got me there!

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to dandelion

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

Yep. This worked for me, too.

What also worked was when my cat decided he liked being outside. Every so often, I'd find a dead mole laying on the patio.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to sbcretired

Mod

to sbcretired
said by sbcretired:

I had an infestation of moles not gophers.
Poison worms for moles, was skeptical, but 2.5 yrs later, still no moles.
Get the poison worms at the local "farm store"

Talpirid worms -- they are like poison gummy worms for moles and they work well. Bought ours on eBay.

»www.ebay.com/itm/Talpiri ··· aaa8212b

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
A cat is a great mole/vole/mouse attenuator.

If the cat likes you, it may even offer to let you have first dibs on any captors it brings back.

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium Member
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV

1 recommendation

macsierra8 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Click for full size
Here's my mole hunter and ATV riding partner..
banner
Premium Member
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

banner to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· fsKLM-34