join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to BiggA

Re: Analog Voice Gateways

said by BiggA:

I have no clue what any of the campus numbers are. If there's a real emergency, we have 911, and that would get routed back to our police. If not, I can google any number that I would ever need in under 30 seconds, and click on it on my iPhone.

You call 911 directly, they have to figure out where on campus you are located, which might not always be so obvious.

If you use the landline phone and call security, they will usually be able to provide assistance until the emergency services arrive, as well as guide the emergency services to the location of the incident.

So which is better?

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

I could tell them where I am. By building name. Same as by landline.

The bigger cell sites are diesel backed-up. We have two cell sites, the bigger and taller one is definitely diesel backed up. Most of the sites in CT are diesel backed up, for AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile and Sprint don't seem to care, and they don't build shelters for the gear, just little outdoor cabinets.

I'm pretty sure the cell carriers put a lot of effort into keeping their networks running. Well, AT&T and Verizon that is.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

Cabinet based sites can be batteried and genset powered too.

But if you are building a cabinet-only site chances are you are a cheap ass, not willing to drop in an LP or diesel fed genset.

So therefore we go back to your statement.
--
"Saying something in another language that you don't think the other person understands is just saying that you're a pussy and are too afraid to say it in English." --Harddrive