share rss forum feed

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3

2 edits

[Chrome] Chrome - A Few Questions

I'm trying to get use Chrome and get cookies to work the way I like.

I want to have all cookies deleted upon existing Chrome except for sites that I whitelist and want those cookies saved.

In content settings, I have allow local data to be set, block 3rd party cookies and clear cookies when I close my browser checked.

In manage exceptions, I added [*.]facebook.com as allow.

I logged into facebook and checked the save information box. I closed Chrome, them reopened it and my cookie was gone.

Is there no way to do what I want in Chrome?

EDIT: While I'm talking chrome, I see now that I can log into multiple google accounts/users in chrome at the same time and easily switch between them. Is there a day to launch directly into one or the other? Right now, when I open Chrome, it seems to go to the user that was last opened. When I want to go directly into 1 or the other?

Eric123

join:2005-02-15

Re: [Chrome] Chrome Cookie Handling

I would like to know this also. In firefox, I do that similarly to what you describe here.

Snoopy2
Premium
join:2001-03-29
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

reply to Lex Luthor
I really became frustrated in the beginning trying to do this same thing. Trial and error FINALLY did the trick for me.

I have excluded:
C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Current Session

Now when I close out Chrome, run a clean up that takes out all unnecessary files EXCEPT the tabs that I want to stay the next time, it keeps them. This works for me.
--
RM1 (USN-RET)

LeeBee
It's Dark Out There

join:2003-06-18
Swissieland
Vanilla. Brill extension.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Eric123
said by Eric123:

I would like to know this also. In firefox, I do that similarly to what you describe here.

Vanilla Cookie Manager extension seems to do the job
»chrome.google.com/webstore/detai···dhephnjj

Just follow the instructions and set chrome settings to not clear cookies on exit and this will clear cookies, except for whitelisted sites each time you open chrome (or every 30 minutes if you elect that option).

I'd still prefer a clear on exit, but this seems to suffice and appears to work.

Now, back to my 2nd question. I set up 2 users in my Chrome settings. Is there a way to open Chrome to a particular user, rather than the previous user?

One more question, while I'm here.

Any extension to add some keyboard shortcuts to Chrome? For example, I want to do alt-z to switch to previous tab and alt-x to switch to next tab.

EDIT: Looks like keyboard-fu does allows me to do the alt-z, alt-x without too much difficulty. Any better way to do that?

LeeBee
It's Dark Out There

join:2003-06-18
Swissieland
ctrl-page up/page down does that too - in Chrome and Fx

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

reply to Lex Luthor

Re: [Chrome] Chrome - A Few Questions

Regarding your Cookies question for Chrome. Take a look at this App For Chrome. It may do exactly what you want with Cookies. I've used Click&Clean for a while now with no problems. The "Cookies App" was made by the same people.

»www.hotcleaner.com/cookies.html
--
"Is there a 50's Cafe around here"?

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY
reply to Lex Luthor
Ok. Still trying to tweak out Chrome. I liked Vanilla better for cookie handling.

Help me figure out this behavior though.

I'm using Click & Clean and have it set to delete history (except for cookies, which Vanilla does) on exit.

If I'm AM signed into my google account.
I type in intel.com into the box at the top. Intel's site comes up. Then I start to type intel again and pretty much as soon as I type the i, the first thing in the dropdown box says "intel.com Laptop, Desktop...."
I close chrome
I re-open chrome, I start to type intnl again and quickly, the same thing appears as the first entry in the drop down box, so somewhere it was remembered.
I then manually clear history in chrome and type intel again and that entry does not appear anymore.

If I'm NOT signed into my google account.
I type in intel.com into the box at the top. Intel's site comes up. Then I start to type intel again and pretty much as soon as I type the i, the first thing in the dropdown box says "intel.com Laptop, Desktop...."
I close chrome
I re-open chrome, I start to type intnl again and that entry does not appear anymore.

Why is it behaving this way? Obviously, being signed into my google account is affecting this. I have web history off in my google dashboard, so why?

If a manual wipe of the data cleans out that entry, why isn't click & clean wiping that entry?

How can I set chrome so that I can be logged into my google account, yet (without having to do a chrome type wipe data all the time) have the browser bar search history deleted?

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
That has to be a Settings issue. You may have to play around with them a little, for Click&Clean has a lot of them.

If you click on the Click&Clean icon when Chrome is open, and then on "Options," you will then click on the left side where it says "Clear Private Data When Browser Closes."

Then on the right, make sure that both the "Disable" and "Ask me before cleaning" boxes are not checked. Then, click the + box next to Chrome and make sure that you have all of the boxes checked that you want to clear when you close Chrome. I am not sure what the difference is if you are or are not signed into your Google account. When you close the Browser, you will be signed out of your Google account if it clears your private data.

I believe if you have your "Clear Private Data When Browser Closes" settings the way you want them, and you then re-open Chrome and type something in the URL bar, typing "Intel" or anything else will not show any history.
--

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 edit
That's how I have it set. Yet, when I'm signed in, address bar history doesn't get erased and signed out, it does. It seems like, when signed in, it must be pulling that information from somewhere else. But, then why does it still get deleted if i clear history using the chrome clear?

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
When you are in Chrome, under "Options" > "Basics," do you have the box checked under Search - Google, that says "Enable Instant for faster searching"? Because what you experience does not happen to me. I'm trying to compare my Settings with yours.
--

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 edit
Tried both on and off and it doesn't matter. I've tried all combinations of enable/disable instant and enable/disable use prediction service.

This is very strange. I don't know where it's pulling this information from.

Also, it's just a site I have bookmarked and it's not just intel.com, that was just an example.

I'd really love to figure this out somehow.

Also, just to be clear, when I said signed in, I mean signed into my google account on chrome, not a cookie that keeps me logged in to google on the web.

What do you have for click & clean settings? I pretty much have the default. I unchecked disable and ask. I have the first 8 checked except for cookies and the first 3 advanced checked and that's it.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY
reply to Lex Luthor
Jackpot!

In options->personal stuff->sign in->advance syncing omnibox history controls this behavior.

If I disable that, it not longer occurs.

How do you have that set?

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

said by Lex Luthor:

Jackpot!

In options->personal stuff->sign in->advance syncing omnibox history controls this behavior.

I never even activated that Sign In Option or changed it from it's default. I only sign in to Google when I sign into my Gmail account. I'm sure that you found the issue. You must have activated the Sign In Option. I'm glad you found it.
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Lex Luthor
said by Lex Luthor:

What do you have for click & clean settings? I pretty much have the default. I unchecked disable and ask. I have the first 8 checked except for cookies and the first 3 advanced checked and that's it.

I have pretty much the same as you. Disable and Ask are unchecked. The first 8 are checked, including cookies though, and so is the last one, Saved Form Data. Like you, the first 3 advanced are checked. That's it for me.
--

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

said by Lex Luthor:

Jackpot!

I never even activated that Sign In Option or changed it from it's default. I only sign in to Google when I sign into my Gmail account. I'm sure that you found the issue. You must have activated the Sign In Option. I'm glad you found it.

That was the difference. I tried to clarify that in a later post that, by, sign in, I meant into chrome itself. Doing that, plus syncing omnibox history activates the behavior that I didn't want to occur. All good now.

join:2011-09-29
reply to Lex Luthor
Press control+shift+delete together..It will delete all your cookies..I daily do this and clear all the cache and cookies..