spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RickM6751

@embarqhsd.net

Trouble with hooking up wifi to 7500

My Centurylink repairman dropped off a Model 7500 Modem because I was having trouble with old one, so was just replacement not upgrade. Works fine with my desktop and laptopp(Windows XP) and Iphone but problem getting my wifes laptop which has (Vista Home Premium) if that matters. The trouble is laptop recognizes the signal from modem and I type in correct password but on this laptop every time it fails and I get a signal"timed out", any help or ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

Going into the Windows Device Manager of the Vista laptop and disabling the WiFi device and then enabling again it sometimes helps. This is done by right clicking on the wireless network card in the device list and selecting disable. Then you right click again and enable the device. There is also a repair function you can use to repair a network connection. You can also right click and check for updated device drivers IF you can get an Ethernet cable to work between the 7500 and the Vista laptop.

RickM6751

@embarqhsd.net

Thanks for suggestions and taking the time to answer. I was also thinking, I have all the other phones, Ipdod and desktop on line at same so was thinking of turning them off and then retrying, so have a couple of ideas to try.
Thanks again!!

Hoibb

join:2012-02-01
Exeter, NH

The assumption I make is that the laptop is equipped with a built-in wi-fi transmitter/receiver. Right on the motherboard. Two things to consider and decide:

If your wife's laptop wi-fi hardware is managed by Windows, then Windows has it's own software that handles the device.

But -

If the wi-fi hardware is managed by some third party software (ie the driverset that came with the laptop) then you need to look to that for settings that will adjust/configure it.

It would be good to resolve which software is managing the hardware. I find that many times people don't realize this central fact: There is a possibility of the two trying to coexist and you cannot have both trying to configure and work the wi-fi as they will fight/conflict with each other. So you must disable one and exclusively use the other or vice versa. One may be easier than the other; it's your choice.

I might take the laptop to a public wi-fi area, coffee shop, grocery store, library - some place you know has a strong signal and an open access. Does the laptop work there? If it does, then you can pretty much assume that the hardware and software are working well together.

Once you get it home, however then the real test begins. Key question: Is the router using WEP, WPA or WPA2 and how do I know that the laptop is using the exact same protocol? You may need to cable-connect the laptop to the router, access the admin screens in the router to determing this, unless you are already sure about it. IOW, if the router uses WPA2 encryption but the laptop is configured to use WEP, it's a pretty good bet it isn't going to work until the two are paired. Again, what do I use (Windows or third party package) to set up and work with the wi-fi so that it plays well at home.

Check which facility is managing the wi-fi on the laptop, check the security protocols on either end, retry.

H