spc
uniqs
Fuzzy Dunlop
join:2011-02-07
Toronto, ON

Fuzzy Dunlop to tdot_rc

to tdot_rc

Re: [Extreme] Using Moto SB5100 with Rogers Extreme

I'm confused: I've read numerous posts from people stating that Rogers will not activate the SB5100 for use with Extreme or above however I've been an Extreme Plus customer for ages now and was never asked to upgrade from the SB5100. I will confess that my downstream is often closer to the 14 or 15 mbps margin, and my upload has remained a constant 0.96 mbps, but other than that everything works. What's the deal: could I be getting faster speeds with a DOCSIS 3 modem, or should I stick with the SB5100 and hope Rogers doesn't notice me? I already have an Asus RT-N56U router, so the last thing I want is the SMC POS. Thoughts?

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Fuzzy Dunlop, you're on a grandfathered profile, probably at 15 or maybe 17 Mbps. Your profile will not have been upgraded.
Fuzzy Dunlop
Toronto, ON

Fuzzy Dunlop

In other words, I'm paying for Extreme Plus and getting Express speeds? How outrageous!

Until recently I was getting download speeds closer to 27mbps however I've tested it again over the past 4 days and it's consistently clocking in at 14mbps.

I guess this means I should contact Rogers and demand a change to my service: either downgrade to Express or buy a DOCSIS 3 modem. On the topic of modems, is there any DOCSIS 3 dedicated modem I can buy that will work with Rogers, or am I forced to spend $200 on one of their wretched modem/routers? I already own an Asus RT-N56U; I don't want a second router.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
join:2011-11-22
canada

bfksc

said by Fuzzy Dunlop:

In other words, I'm paying for Extreme Plus and getting Express speeds? How outrageous!

That's what they do...and of course they won't tell you what you're missing.

I guess this means I should contact Rogers and demand a change to my service: either downgrade to Express or buy a DOCSIS 3 modem.

Your profile could be set at 12mbps, so changing modems won't make a difference as the SB5100 is capable of ~33mbps. I have the SB5101 and although it can do 33mbps, the 24/1 mbps profile allows peaks up to about 50+ with speedboost, but I'm not getting that since the modem limits peak speeds.

If you're happy with 12/0.5 mbps speeds, then just downgrade to that plan. But if you want the faster speeds, you will need to change modems.

On the topic of modems, is there any DOCSIS 3 dedicated modem I can buy that will work with Rogers, or am I forced to spend $200 on one of their wretched modem/routers? I already own an Asus RT-N56U; I don't want a second router.

Nice router, I have one as well.
As for the modem, any DOCSIS 3 modem should work fine on their network. The problem is you're kind of stuck with Rogers' models as it's difficult to find a CSR who can and will provision a non-rogers modem on their network. Having said that, if you do buy one from Rogers, get the Cisco DPC3825 and simply change it to bridged mode to disable it's router. It's a decent modem with 8 channels for bonding and it has gigabit ports.
JMCD23
join:2010-12-06
London, ON

JMCD23

His profile would be set at 10mbps/1mbps with the 95GB cap, that's the grandfathered one. The SB5100 in the most perfect scenario can only hit 38mbps anyway.

bfksc has it right for the modem, get the cisco and put it in bridge mode. Also the new extreme tier (same price you pay) is now 28mbps/1mbps with a 120GB cap.

As it has been said, you pretty much cannot change anything to your internet package without being force fed a new modem/router combo.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to bfksc

to bfksc
said by bfksc:

Your profile could be set at 12mbps, so changing modems won't make a difference as the SB5100 is capable of ~33mbps.

That is only possible if you are lucky and happen to be the only subscriber attempting to pull data at any sort of significant speed at that time. As soon as you have a few other active subscribers on the same QAM, sustainable speeds start dropping quickly.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Absolutely correct there invalid ... the D3 modems will give better speed stability for everyone, of course, that's only until Rogers goes and loads the cable segments right up with higher and higher speed customers, dashing any advantage ... then they'll try to sell use D3 (16 channels up/down bonded) or the new D4 modems
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by sbrook:

then they'll try to sell use D3 (16 channels up/down bonded) or the new D4 modems

I doubt we'll see 16X modems or D4, things appear to be headed toward EPoC, possibly using the same DMTM modulation used on xDSL instead of 6-8MHz QAMs.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
canada

bfksc to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by bfksc:

Your profile could be set at 12mbps, so changing modems won't make a difference as the SB5100 is capable of ~33mbps.

That is only possible if you are lucky and happen to be the only subscriber attempting to pull data at any sort of significant speed at that time. As soon as you have a few other active subscribers on the same QAM, sustainable speeds start dropping quickly.

That's true, but how many people are constantly doing over 10MB transfers (Speedboost limit)? I do a lot of large transfers (Linux DVD distros, HD videos up and down, etc.), but I know several neighbours are on the same line on my street and I rarely see large speed drops. I know I'm lucky in my area as I'm on the 24/1 profile with the SB5101 and I can count on my left hand the number of times I've seen sustained speeds drop below 20mbps in the last month.

Having said that, I'll be happy when I can get my hands on a D3 modem from Distributel as that will mean higher Speedboost. They announced that the official 24/1 speeds will be live on Feb 1st, and D3 modems will be available then too. Guess who I'll be calling Wednesday morning?

From Twitter:

"Distributel
For those who've been asking, YES our 24 Mbps service in ONT will be unlimited w/ a Docsys 3. Full deets on Feb 1st "
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by bfksc:

I know I'm lucky in my area as I'm on the 24/1 profile with the SB5101 and I can count on my left hand the number of times I've seen sustained speeds drop below 20mbps in the last month.

And at the other end of the "luck scale", you have people who can't do more than 1-5Mbps during peak hours on their 15+Mbps service.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
canada

bfksc

said by InvalidError:

And at the other end of the "luck scale", you have people who can't do more than 1-5Mbps during peak hours on their 15+Mbps service.

That should change starting tomorrow...

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Yup, tomorrow there will be people who can only do 1-5 Mbps on the 50 or even 100 Mbps service. Hahaha!
Fuzzy Dunlop
Toronto, ON

Fuzzy Dunlop

An update to my earlier post about Robbers High Speed Extreme Internet and DOCSIS 2 modems:

I phoned Robbers CS yesterday to request a credit to my account and to downgrade my Extreme service to Express. I was transferred to Billing, who told me it was a Tech Support issue, who transferred me to Tech Support, who then told me it was a Billing issue, then told me to visit Robbers Plus to have the matter resolved.

Drove to Robbers Plus today, who told me they couldn't do anything. I demanded they call Robbers CS from the store. Robbers CS refused to talk to me or even transfer me to a supervisor because I had forgotten my Rogers PIN at home – even though I was standing in their store with government photo ID matching the primary account holder! The Robbers Plus rep eventually talked the CSR person into dealing with me, only to tell me that Tech Support could not handle my request, and again(!) transferring me to Billing, who then transferred me to Customer Relations! Confused yet?

Customer Relations guy's demeanour varied between curtness and sarcasm. He admitted I was put on a grandfathered Extreme plan, at the same rate as new Extreme Plus customers (whose download speeds are 10mbps faster than mine), arguing that mine was a better deal because I didn't have to pay the modem rental fee (because I had already purchased my DOCSIS 2!). I said I thought their policy of treating newer customers better than old ones sucked and that I was thinking about switching ISPs.

He refused to offer a credit to my account or give me a new modem, and instead offered me a "promotion": $40/month off my Robbers bill for the next 2 years, provided I enter into an unwritten contract with Robbers CSR. I repeated my demand for a $199 credit (the value of the DOCSIS 3 modem), and emphasized that I thought it more than fair given the circumstances. His response, verbatim:
"I've been working in Customer Relations for 3 years and I don't know of anyone in our department who would consider what you're asking for 'fair.'"
My response:
I think you've been working in the wrong department. I want my Internet service downgraded from Extreme to Express effective immediately. I will be cancelling my Rogers Internet and switching to TekSavvy as of the end of the month. Goodbye.
I've been a Rogers customer for 20 years, yet I feel oddly relieved by this experience. Robbers treated me badly, but it's driven me to dump them for service provider with a moral compass (TekSavvy). And that's a good thing.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
canada

bfksc

said by Fuzzy Dunlop:

I've been a Rogers customer for 20 years, yet I feel oddly relieved by this experience. Robbers treated me badly, but it's driven me to dump them for service provider with a moral compass (TekSavvy). And that's a good thing.

Welcome to the "I dumped Rogers" camp.

The weird thing about your request for a credit is that it's less than ONE FOURTH of his offer of $40/mth off ($960). I guess his math isn't very good and he didn't realize that your basic request is a much better deal for Rogers. DUH.

Oh well...looks good on them...
Fuzzy Dunlop
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Fuzzy Dunlop

said by bfksc :

The weird thing about your request for a credit is that it's less than ONE FOURTH of his offer of $40/mth off ($960). I guess his math isn't very good and he didn't realize that your basic request is a much better deal for Rogers. DUH.

You would think that. However I've read enough horror stories from Robbers customers who've entered into similar unwritten contracts only to have them reneged upon that I know better than agree to any "promotional offers". I believe this guy said it best:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Ai8FF3F4