spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paradox

join:2011-06-02

[AL] SpeedTest.net pointing to Des Moines,IA as closest...

Trying to understand why this is the case when I live in Madison, AL... plus the speeds are still horrible. Consistently getting 5mb down and paying sadly for the 20 MAX service. I had issues before, but even if they bumped me down to the lower 12mb service, the price would be the same in the year introductory price.

Probablly zero chance I keep this service when the introdcutory year is up. Since about July of last year they stated that it would be fixed by Jan 2012.

calvinj

join:2011-08-16
united state

Could be the magic of routing that it makes it think that is the closest site. I have it every now and then at work. Zoom out and find a state close to you

austinmm6

join:2010-11-13
New Market, AL
reply to Paradox

Same thing is happening to me in New Market, AL, and I'm only getting 10 of the 20 I pay for.

Paradox

reply to calvinj

The problem with the magic of routing of that nature... would be instead of being served locally like before. I have incurred latency due to the fact that all of my requests must make it to IA before out to the "NET"

basenji

join:2006-11-02
Waconia, MN

I don't know if you actually serious with the above statement but really? You think your backbone actually has to go all the way to Des Moines before you hit the net? Google this question and you can find tons of correct answers. Post a trace route and see where it all goes.

GregBrown

@comcast.net
reply to Paradox

Hi Paradox,

Looks like the location estimate based off your IP is wrong. The support page has information about how to correct it using your browser's geolocation, or just by selecting a nearer server.

»support.speedtest.net/entries/20···ncorrect

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to Paradox

Too late now but I would like to remind you guys not to post your IP in the public. If needed you can contact people via IM.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103
reply to Paradox

I checked your signals at the modem and everything looks great right now. Also, the server utilization hasn't been over 30% all week. The IP address you are assigned was probably once assigned to customers in the Iowa area, that's why speedtest.net is choosing a server up there by default. What speeds do you get if you choose a server closer to your location?

Paradox

1 edit

After a long service outage starting about last Thursday, it seems some speed issues have been resolved by Saturday Evening.

I have been consistently getting speeds around 10mbit when selecting the closest geographic location. So if its actually only near 30% utilization, not sure why my speeds are still half of advertised.

Paradox

reply to basenji

you are correct, I was mistaken.

Paradox

reply to Anonymous

thanks for the heads up, I am not too concerned about my WAN address up to a point. However, better safe than sorry.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Are these tests run connected to a router? Do you get similar results when connected directly to the modem?

austinmm6

New Market, AL

He's having the same exact problem I'm having. Not being able to break the 11mbps barrier.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

austinmm6 the Area Director is reviewing your issue.

austinmm6

New Market, AL

Yeah, I know. I just figured since we are in the same area, it's likely the same problem.

Paradox

reply to Paradox

Without my router, speeds not crossing the 11mbit mark as well. However they have been greatly improved at peak times. Would be pleased if I was not paying for the 20 MAX service

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

We continue to update you on this.

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to Paradox

Can you guys try using speakeasy.net for your speed tests and choose Atlanta, GA? I'd be curious to see if there is a difference. I'd almost be willing to bet that your traffic goes through 56Marietta at some point (so ATL would be "closer" to you then Arab). Arab must be the old BMTC/Deltacom or Otelco pops. If you have a chance give it a shot and let us know the results. Thanks.

austinmm6

New Market, AL

It doesn't matter which server you pick. The top speed stays right at 10.6.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11

are you using a software firewall? sometimes they can make a speed test look bad. if you are try shutting off your firewall while testing and maybe even your a/v just long enough to run the test

Tch65

join:2012-02-09
reply to Paradox

May have to check to see if 20meg is on your bill I have run into this before, cust. was expecting 20meg and it was not on there services, they were being billed for 12meg. A typo in services. I use speakeasy to run tests before I leave a house, just my preference. I have had a router cause slow speeds and ethernet cables do this. On two different calls it was the modem, one was a purchased and the other was ours. It does'nt happen often though.
Let Chad sort it out I have followed him on other issues and he can resolve them.

Paradox

reply to Boss302_1970

As of this morning from the ATL..

Speakeasy giving me 10.5/2.5

I never had trouble reaching almost 20mbit in non-peak hours till lately. Of course it now seems I have traded 1mbit peak speeds for around 11mbit peak speeds, which is not bad. Still all below the cheaper 12mibt package.

On my bill it clearly states MAXX service, and I have tried all the tests without my router

austinmm6

New Market, AL

Tch65

reply to Paradox

One other thing without looking at your signal levels and other things. Is it may be the trap, I do not know if you have other services, we have two types and are replacing our older ones for internet only cust. If all is ruled out at the house,Modem,drops,splitters,the trouble lies else where up the line. One last question what brand of modem is it, RCA,Cisco,Arris ?

austinmm6

New Market, AL

I don't know about the OP, but in my case, the trap was removed, the signal was checked at every point between the modem and the tap without issues. Tried two different modems. The problem is not between the tap and the modem. I would guess it's the same with him.

Paradox

reply to Tch65

I am unaware, but I do know that the service was installed last year and we had to run the cable directly from the outside box. I use no other services besides internet with mediacom. Like I said before, with the EXACT same setup not even a few months ago I was getting almost 20mbit speeds in non-peak hours. However, during peak times I was told the utilization was so high in the area that speeds would drop below 1mbit at times.

Supposedly the utilization issues were supposed to be resolved at the beginning of the year. The only thing that has changed is that after complaining of speeds last week, my service was turned off for about 3 days before I called a tech to fix it.

Tch65

reply to Paradox

All I can do is arm chair troubleshoot for you. The old traps would allow channel 99 threw plus your return channels. The new ones allow 99 and 98 thru this allows the modem to switch between the two for high usage time the modem will do this. If you live in a house the trap will be at the tap on the pole if it is the old one that could be the trouble. Call and have it replaced if you see this. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE IT YOURSELF this is a legal and safety issue!!!!! Let the Tech handle it he can do this in a few minutes. The old trap is about 4 inches long the new one is about 2 inches. I have had a few of the new ones when we first were installing them were bad but it caused signal issues I could tell right off the bat. The old traps sometimes can go bad over time.

Paradox

Just a heads up Mediacom Chad fixed the problem on their end. Looking pretty sweet for a change. Who know Mediacom actually did something right for a change