spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tch65

join:2012-02-09
reply to Paradox8

Re: [AL] SpeedTest.net pointing to Des Moines,IA as closest...

May have to check to see if 20meg is on your bill I have run into this before, cust. was expecting 20meg and it was not on there services, they were being billed for 12meg. A typo in services. I use speakeasy to run tests before I leave a house, just my preference. I have had a router cause slow speeds and ethernet cables do this. On two different calls it was the modem, one was a purchased and the other was ours. It does'nt happen often though.
Let Chad sort it out I have followed him on other issues and he can resolve them.

Paradox8

join:2011-06-02
reply to Boss302_1970
As of this morning from the ATL..

Speakeasy giving me 10.5/2.5

I never had trouble reaching almost 20mbit in non-peak hours till lately. Of course it now seems I have traded 1mbit peak speeds for around 11mbit peak speeds, which is not bad. Still all below the cheaper 12mibt package.

On my bill it clearly states MAXX service, and I have tried all the tests without my router

austinmm6

join:2010-11-13
New Market, AL

Tch65

reply to Paradox8
One other thing without looking at your signal levels and other things. Is it may be the trap, I do not know if you have other services, we have two types and are replacing our older ones for internet only cust. If all is ruled out at the house,Modem,drops,splitters,the trouble lies else where up the line. One last question what brand of modem is it, RCA,Cisco,Arris ?

austinmm6

join:2010-11-13
New Market, AL
I don't know about the OP, but in my case, the trap was removed, the signal was checked at every point between the modem and the tap without issues. Tried two different modems. The problem is not between the tap and the modem. I would guess it's the same with him.

Paradox8

reply to Tch65
I am unaware, but I do know that the service was installed last year and we had to run the cable directly from the outside box. I use no other services besides internet with mediacom. Like I said before, with the EXACT same setup not even a few months ago I was getting almost 20mbit speeds in non-peak hours. However, during peak times I was told the utilization was so high in the area that speeds would drop below 1mbit at times.

Supposedly the utilization issues were supposed to be resolved at the beginning of the year. The only thing that has changed is that after complaining of speeds last week, my service was turned off for about 3 days before I called a tech to fix it.

Tch65

reply to Paradox8
All I can do is arm chair troubleshoot for you. The old traps would allow channel 99 threw plus your return channels. The new ones allow 99 and 98 thru this allows the modem to switch between the two for high usage time the modem will do this. If you live in a house the trap will be at the tap on the pole if it is the old one that could be the trouble. Call and have it replaced if you see this. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE IT YOURSELF this is a legal and safety issue!!!!! Let the Tech handle it he can do this in a few minutes. The old trap is about 4 inches long the new one is about 2 inches. I have had a few of the new ones when we first were installing them were bad but it caused signal issues I could tell right off the bat. The old traps sometimes can go bad over time.

Paradox8

Just a heads up Mediacom Chad fixed the problem on their end. Looking pretty sweet for a change. Who know Mediacom actually did something right for a change