All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
maforget
join:2012-01-29

maforget

[DSL] Getting 8mb on my 5mb line

This might be both a teksavvy problem or not.

Here is what is happening I am switching to teksavvy 16mb/1mb service at the end of the month. I am still on my old provider (radioactif.com) for a couple of days.

1-2 weeks ago my speed was bumped to 6mb, this seems normal at this point, since it is just bell changing to the new speed.

Now 2-3 days ago my speed was changed to 8510 download and 888 upload.

Now I am intrigued, has bell decided to switch my equipment to FTTN in advance and that is why I am getting higher speeds? If that is the case then does it mean that when the switch to teksavvy is made I will not be able to sync to 16mb? Or maybe something weird is happening to my line? Or is my current supplier getting higher speed in preparation for Feb new pricing?

The following day of the speed change my phone just died, so no sync, and no dial tone. Bell fixed it the following day without coming to my house. Still getting the same speed.

Here are my line stats from my speedtouch 516

Modulation: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 8.510
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0,00 / 0,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / -2,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9,0 / 20,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,5 / 15,0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IKNS
nbinont
join:2011-03-13

nbinont

You've probably been moved to an IKNS remote already, but they left your profile as an ADSL1 equivalent profile.

Based on your line stats, you should just about be able to achieve 16Mbit with ADSL2+, but that's pretty much it (you might be able to squeak out 20Mbit...but I'd expect that to drop sync on you all the time).

If it were me, I'd wait till the end of the month (when you actually start paying for 16Mbit), then if the profile isn't what you expect, send TSI a message that you've been setup on the wrong profile and get bell to fix it.