join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit

[CDV] Phone went dead and came back

I've been having issues with my TiVo boxes (both of them) tiling and I posted in Direct support and they said that I would have to contact TiVo (blame customer equipment syndrome) so now I am having connectivity issues with my CDV and internet. I called my mother on my cell phone to the house phone as she was downstairs and I was upstairs (cannot hear each other unless in the same room due to the accoustics in this house) and the line went dead. I immediately looked at the modem logs and it said the following at the exact same time as the dead call so I know its a Comcast issue and not a Verizon Wireless issue.

This is what was recorded in the PacketCable log on the modem.
1/29/2012 10:53 65530 Call Agent Loss of Communications
1/29/2012 10:53 65530 Call Agent Loss of Communications- Cleared

Everytime a tech comes, they plug their meter in and say the signal is fine. I've had numerous techs out and they all say the same thing and the issue comes back after the tech leaves.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
is there a question pending here?

modem levels?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 213 693.00 MHz 3.15 dBmV 36.84 dB 256QAM 6457131670 5093 15
Downstream 2 214 699.00 MHz 3.63 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 3546527268 5580 39
Downstream 3 215 705.00 MHz 3.39 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 3696704404 5175 3
Downstream 4 216 711.00 MHz 2.95 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 3691331988 6177 0

UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 1 30.00 MHz 35.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to IowaCowboy
There are truly only a few things that can be gone through with CDV.

One- The signal. Which appears to be good to go without any trending or comparisons.

Two- The CPE, which you proudly own.

If I was a tech onsite and the RF checked out I would next swap out the CPE. It isnt wildly uncommon that a bad EMTA can be causing the issue.

Other things to consider would be internal twisted pair wiring, shorts, etc. But generally its RF or CPE.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by CableTool:

There are truly only a few things that can be gone through with CDV.

One- The signal. Which appears to be good to go without any trending or comparisons.

Two- The CPE, which you proudly own.

If I was a tech onsite and the RF checked out I would next swap out the CPE. It isnt wildly uncommon that a bad EMTA can be causing the issue.

Other things to consider would be internal twisted pair wiring, shorts, etc. But generally its RF or CPE.

The EMTA is not the only piece of equipment that is acting up, the two TiVo boxes are also acting up as well. They are tiling with breaks in the audio. I am trying find out what other possible causes of the issues are. Comcast keeps rolling trucks but they keep saying the signal is fine. If it was the CPE, then it would be one piece of CPE that is acting up. When all three pieces of CPE (the two TiVo boxes and the EMTA) are acting up, then its a signal/cable plant/headend issue. What I am trying to figure out is how to get Comcast to come out, find the the issue, fix the problem and not play the "blame customer owned equipment" game.
--

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
if they cant see the problem, they cant fix it.....sucks but its the truth....luck plays a big part.....
--
I'm better than you!

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
The problem is the symptom. If Comcast had real techs they would go back and check everything in the network path and correct any deficiencies after say 2 or 3 "no symptoms observerd" truck rolls.
--
PRescott7-2097

hdgsjd

@spcsdns.net
said by joako:

The problem is the symptom. If Comcast had real techs they would go back and check everything in the network path and correct any deficiencies after say 2 or 3 "no symptoms observerd" truck rolls.

That actually IS a process in a lot of markets.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to joako
said by joako:

Sure is.
Repeat trouble calls get a huge focus.
But Im not sure if I would allow the time to check "everything in the network path" if one subscriber was having issues.

If EVERY subscriber was having issues then sure.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
i would never get any work done in a node if i had to do this.....
--
I'm better than you!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to joako
joako- thank god its not the process.....do i get calls that go; "hey is anything goin on in this node?", sure......and if not, ill go plug in and see if i find anything...but checking everything from the node out to a sub is excessive.....cause if i found something it would be affecting more then just one sub, and would already know about the issue at hand.....
--
I'm better than you!