uniqs
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to CR1239

to CR1239

Re: [AB] Got Shaw BB50 trial last night, download speed was supe

said by CR1239:

said by ravenchilde:

If the speedtests are successful, then the service is successful. Shaw is not responsible for the speeds available off websites they do not control. They are giving you a 50 mbps pipe to the internet, but as for what sites on the internet make available to you...

Uh, yes and no. The OP states that a 15Mbps service is outperforming a 50Mbps service on the same downloads.

So it's likely something's up, right?

If speedtest.net and speedtest.shaw.ca show the bandwidth is there, then who knows what is going on with remote servers on the internet.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT

That's the kind of mentality that I hate about most ISP's. Speedtests don't mean squat when troubleshooting speed issues. I might as well do a speedtest on my LAN (/sarcasm). If two ISP's are giving two different results, then I suspect the ISP to be having some issues with routing. At that point, fire off a few emails to SJRB and have them look into it.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

said by XT0RT:

That's the kind of mentality that I hate about most ISP's. Speedtests don't mean squat when troubleshooting speed issues. I might as well do a speedtest on my LAN (/sarcasm). If two ISP's are giving two different results, then I suspect the ISP to be having some issues with routing. At that point, fire off a few emails to SJRB and have them look into it.

If you can find different results on two ISPs then it might be a peering/transit issue. That's a good add to the topic. It can be worth it to check with friends.

I have to say that everything is about experience and expectations. All the activities I use Shaw for are blazing fast, thus I am happy.

To be fair: I haven't used DSL for 10 years.

To be honest: I couldn't see myself going back to less than 50 mbps. If you haven't tried BB50, I think you should, for at least a month. Just see what it's like.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT

said by ravenchilde:

said by XT0RT:

If you can find different results on two ISPs then it might be a peering/transit issue. That's a good add to the topic. It can be worth it to check with friends.

I have to say that everything is about experience and expectations. All the activities I use Shaw for are blazing fast, thus I am happy.

To be fair: I haven't used DSL for 10 years.

To be honest: I couldn't see myself going back to less than 50 mbps. If you haven't tried BB50, I think you should, for at least a month. Just see what it's like.

I have been using BB50 for the past 6 months or more.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

And how do you like it?!?!