dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« This is whyi love netflix »
This is a sub-selection from Whats next?

Ytsejamer1
join:2008-01-18
Somersworth, NH

1 recommendation

Ytsejamer1 to mogamer

to mogamer

Re: Whats next?

If they make it any more difficult for customers to get their product, they're only going to hurt their business. I'm not going to pirate something...but I'll wait as long as needed. More than likely, I'll forget about the product entirely and life goes on.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

banditws6

Premium Member

Forgetting about it entirely would be the best endgame to this whole mess, better than piracy. That's the point at which I've arrived; it's just less of a hassle for me to focus on different pursuits now, like reading. I still watch one or two TV shows via an OTA antenna and that's it.

By and large, TV/movies have reached the point, IMO, where there isn't enough value to justify the amount of crap one has to put up with to stare at it. More than that, the self-important and potentially rights-eroding (see: SOPA) attitude taken by big studios gives me a feeling of downright uncleanliness whenever I watch some product of theirs.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch

I feel the same way. In fact, I recently bought a copy of Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy and am re-reading it for the first time since high school. The book cost me $20, and, at the rate I'm going, it'll take me several months to get through it, since I'm just reading a few chapters before bed. It's wonderful! I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed those books and reading in general, and the amount of entertainment I'm getting for the price beats any DVD.

And the LOTR trilogy should arrive today!

And I'm doing something else that I'm sure the studios will really hate: I'm building a collection of books for my daughter, who will be born in May. I don't have any desire to turn her into a hermit who only reads and does nothing else, but I do plan to give her the opportunity to see how wonderful reading books can be.

IMHO, reading stimulates your brain in ways movies and TV don't. Maybe it's because you have to construct the images in your mind, but it makes you think about things in ways that other media don't, and I find that I'm thinking about the book for much longer after I've read it than with a movie or TV show.

Plus, books are usually cheaper, they don't require power, you don't need a special player, and they don't have DRM that gets in the way of using them. What's not to like?
jvanbrecht
join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD

jvanbrecht

said by ISurfTooMuch:

And I'm doing something else that I'm sure the studios will really hate: I'm building a collection of books for my daughter, who will be born in May.

Congrats, my son will be born on May 10th.. give or take a few days I guess

phxmark
What Country Are We Living In?
join:2000-12-27
Glendale, AZ

phxmark to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
Until the studios pull a "Fahrenheit 451" on us and ban all books.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to jvanbrecht

to jvanbrecht
Congrats to you as well. My daughter is due on May 11. Of course, that's the day I can safely assume nothing will happen.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Ytsejamer1

Premium Member

to Ytsejamer1
said by Ytsejamer1:

If they make it any more difficult for customers to get their product, they're only going to hurt their business. I'm not going to pirate something...but I'll wait as long as needed. More than likely, I'll forget about the product entirely and life goes on.

Not buying their product is the responsible decision. Pirating it is not the right way.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I agree. Moral and legal arguments aside, piracy plays into the studios' hands by giving them an excuse to demand tougher and tougher laws that don't actually curb piracy but give them control in other ways, such as getting legitimate products and content taken down.

It's far better to punish them by making them and their output irrelevant. Buy content from producers who will treat you with respect.
nutcr0cker
join:2003-04-02
Chandler, AZ

nutcr0cker to FFH5

to FFH5
LOL hilarious

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch
Actually, e-books do require a special player that eats batteries, and they have DRM.
« This is whyi love netflix »
This is a sub-selection from Whats next?