dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Eventually
This is a sub-selection from Don't they realize...
momus_98
join:2002-09-10
united state
·Google Fiber

momus_98 to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

Re: Don't they realize...

said by Wilsdom:

Take away for the media companies is they need to get the law changed to make selling used DVDs illegal. In the meantime they should claim that many of the DVDs on Amazon marketplace are pirate copies and get the site taken down as well as all of Bezos's property confiscated.

Why stop there? Take all of Half-Price Books' inventory, and shut down Craigslist, every garage sale, every pawn shop, every flea market. Not happening. The secondary market for anything is HUGE; any change like that would be virtually impossible to enforce.

It boils down to this: my physical disk, my property. It's no different than selling a used laptop, car, TV, book, CD, etc.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Until they put a "key" on the dvd or brd so that it can only be watched on authorized players.
momus_98
join:2002-09-10
united state
·Google Fiber

1 edit

momus_98

You mean like DIVX? (Note, not the DivX codec)

Tried and failed.

And how do you put a special code on the discs that are already in the market? And which DVD player manufacturer do you get to go along with this? And what about players that are not 'Net connected (thus no firmware update) that would be unable to play these disks?

Lastly, why are DVDs singled out in this example? How can they claim exclusivity over books or anything else that can legally be sold on the secondary market? If I can buy a used [anything else], I can buy a used DVD.

Edit: Seems this issue is heating up elsewhere: »arstechnica.com/gaming/n ··· ames.ars
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

No I mean like a software key. That auths just one player or 5 what ever they deam to many. Divx failed because it was way too early. Watch when ultra violet fails.

Net connect devices will be the norm and then they will try and make you purchase a key like windows.
« Eventually
This is a sub-selection from Don't they realize...