Search similar:

uniqs

lurky101
@mchsi.com

lurky101

Anon

Alternative to CV (and cable TV in general) in CT

Hello,
I'm in Norwalk CT and I get the triple play from Cablevision/Optimum.
My bill just went from $125 to 156.
I know I locked in a 2 year deal less with them than a year ago where my rates shouldn't have increased.
I'm really not looking forward to a 45 minute call with them trying to straighten it out.
Bottom line is I really hate CV, their internet service is intermittent and slow, I don't need a house phone but signed up for it just for the triple play.
Have the internet based services like Apple TV or Google TV and others reached the point of being a viable alternative?
If so, are there cheap reliable internet providers in the area other than CV?
I realize this is a CV forum but I don't know where to start.
Thanks
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

"cheap reliable internet providers"
good luck with that

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by dm145:

"cheap reliable internet providers"
good luck with that

concur.
anyone you do indeed find will have usage caps, packet filtering and inane overage fees.
RayGeode
join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT

RayGeode to lurky101

to lurky101
I'm in Norwalk too. I had U-verse for over a year. Pros: AT&T uverse does a better DVR, less latency channel surfing, and a better look and feel GUI over all. Cons: Internet is slower ( but consistent ) pay extra for HD channels, rates will rise gradually after initial incentives expire ( but it's according to the agreement so no surprise ) The AT&T salesman canvassed our street after a much publicized gaffe on CV's part, and so AT&T picked up a bunch of market share there. CV then went to work hard to create a multi-room DVR feature ( not as good as AT&T ) and then slashed costs to offer me a rate almost half what AT&T increased to. ( although AT&T did cut about 20% of that eventually to try to retain me ). My advice is to splurge for U-verse, ( hey you only live once ) , then by the time the year is over, we might be getting hulu, etc in a way, unseen yet. Caveat: I'm pretty close to an AT&T central point so good signal was virtually guaranteed. YMMV.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

i'm in Fairfield and honestly I don't think there's anything better than CV in Fairfield County, CT at the moment. You can I guess try AT&T, they have the 30 day thing anyways so you can keep both side by side and see what works better instead of taking our word for it. AT&T's speeds are ok but expensive for it. Their max now is 24Mbps which i guess is ok if you don't need tons of speed. That speed costs like $70/month though and then add U200 TV services for like $50.

You are better off calling em up and getting it sorted out IMO.
RayGeode
join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT

RayGeode to lurky101

to lurky101
My business in Westport telephone provider also provides DSL internet - Earthlink. I was told that the City lists all providers availible in the area. Don't know if Norwalk has any other but a call might tell you