how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

a6why

join:2006-07-21
canada

1 edit

Rogers - unlimited usage for rest of the week!

Just got off the phone with their CS, they are having network-wide problems with their "monitoring" tool on MyRogers. (mine hasn't updated my usage since last week).

He told me to continue using my internet as usual, and when they finally fix it (expected by end of this week), and if my usage is above my limit, that they will credit me any overage charges since I was not able to monitor it!

He even told me.. "enjoy it, go crazy and download stuff" LOL

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON
Um I'd get that in writing before I just started downloading over the cap. And then I'd get it in writing again from a different rep just to be sure. And I'd get names/ID numbers of anyone you speak to. And even then I'd be worried that they'd screw me over in the end.

CFoo

join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON
reply to a6why
Don't believe everything you hear.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

4 edits
reply to a6why
Right, and as long as their router never gets rebooted in the meantime, they will still have full access to the bit counters.

In other words, it doesn't mean a damn thing if their tracking software is broken, they can simply resume polling the counters on the router after fixing their tracking software, and compare them to their last known values and still get you.

Finally, even if their tracking calculation software is broken, I highly doubt the periodic logging of the values on the router is, which means they can failover to another router and reboot their main router anytime they want, and still have all previous values logged, which will then get fed back into their calculation software after its fixed.

Don't believe anything they say. Its like if a bank told you their site transaction logging was broken (and no new transactions ever showed in your account), would you believe they weren't logging said data elsewhere to use in such an emergency?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to a6why
My tracking tool for my cell was broken, I went so horribly over it wasn't funny.

I did get it reversed but trust me, at the end of the day, they'll be counting, even though you can't see it.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't bet on that. Anyway, my usage resets on the first of the month, and I have about 8Gb of bandwidth left, no chance in hell I'd get above that today unless I take a day off work.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42
reply to a6why

Just got off the phone with their CS, they are having network-wide problems with their "monitoring" tool on MyRogers. (mine hasn't updated my usage since last week).

We are talking their cable broadband network, yes? Can other users confirm that they're seeing problems?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by Karl Bode:

We are talking their cable broadband network, yes? Can other users confirm that they're seeing problems?

They're always having problems with their site not showing your monthly usage (its constantly going down), so it wouldn't be a surprise if there's a major network-wide issue with it.

snorlax14

join:2007-11-20
Thornhill, ON
reply to a6why
Unfortunately my usage tool is working as it shows I am 10 gig over my 100 gig limit and I have incurred a 15 dollar overage. As soon as I got the notice in my browser we stopped using the net but as expected the meter showed usage the next day as well. For the second day after we stopped the meter showed virtually no usage. We'll hold off until the first of the month then consider upgrading our package (again) but with the new limits rumored to be coming to extreme we may be good.

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON
said by snorlax14:

Unfortunately my usage tool is working as it shows I am 10 gig over my 100 gig limit and I have incurred a 15 dollar overage. As soon as I got the notice in my browser we stopped using the net but as expected the meter showed usage the next day as well.

The same thing happened to me a few months ago. I got the 75% notice, stopped using almost all internet, next day got the 100% notice anyways, then got overage charges. God damnit. Then I upgraded my internet package. You can get 20GB extra for $5 a month if you don't want to actually upgrade to the next package (at least, when I sign in online with my Express internet it gives me that option for purchasing more data).