how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RollTide14

join:2012-01-30
Wetumpka, AL

[TV] Switch to Brighthouse from Dish?

We're considering a switch to BH from Dish Network in Elmore County, Alabama. BH offered a deal that would save us $30 over Dish. I was excited about this as I've read on this forum that BH had lots of HD, remote DVR setup, Ondemand, etc. However, I've come to find out my area has around 50 HD only, no remote DVR and no on-demand. I've seen my father-in-law's box and it is an old motorola HD DVR. The user interface is exactly like what I had with Charter over 6 years ago. It's ugly and outdated. Why would it be worth it to switch? Will my area eventually catch up with HD, ondemand, etc.? The $30 per month savings looks good but that's about it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:161
Whether you have 400 HD channels or 50 HD channels the reality is you probably only watch a few those channnels anyway. So what you need to do is note down the HD channels you do watch and make sure they are in our lineup for your area here »applications.brighthouse.com/cha ··· ult.aspx

If all or most of the channels arw covered in that lineup then your answer is easy...you're saving $30.00 per month (which right now is more important for most people) and you are getting the channels you need and want most.

As for upgrades down the road...yes...when I can't tell you at the moment but yes
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

RollTide14

Wetumpka, AL
reply to RollTide14
Looked at the channel lineup. Not bad. I would be gaining ESPNU HD. I was disappointed to see Fox Sports South and Sport South were not HD or even digital! We watch a lot of SEC football in our house. The lack of CBS College Sports in HD is disappointing too. However, BH has Sprout and we have two under the age of three. It would be nice to get the Disney channels back in HD too. It's looking like a tough choice. Any updates on when Fox Sports may go digital or HD? What about any new HD channels?

TomA28

join:2012-01-27
Bradenton, FL
reply to RollTide14
>

YES!! I hated that thing too! It was a dog. So I use TiVo, which is just OK, but MUCH, MUCH better than that. (I heard that all of the important patents for STBs were held by ReplayTV and TiVo and the cable co's didn't want to cough up the licensing fees.)

However, I have heard that BH has new STBs in some locations. I'd like to try one out if they have them in Manatee... I'll have to call or stop by the office.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to RollTide14
Okay so this comes down to two sports channels? How often do you watch them...be real now Are they worth $30.00 per month or $360 per year for HD because that is essentially what you are paying for it using your logic

Remember... you came to us with the motivation of saving money and really you aren't losing those channels because they are in our Sports Pass (you did notice that right) and yes you do get Disney in HD
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

RollTide14

Wetumpka, AL
Not just those two sports channels but they are important. I noticed that BH had the Disney channels in HD. However, the FSN South and Sport South are only in basic expanded cable in my area. They don't show up in the sports pack. They looked horrible on my father-in-law's TV. That is not a deal breaker though. BH does have most of the HD channels I actually watch. The money savings is a big deal. I just wish I knew when system improvements and new HD were coming. Since my area is so far behind other BH areas I am very hopeful that we will catch up.

RollTide14

Wetumpka, AL
reply to RollTide14
Just made the switch. BH offered me an incredible bundle deal with 20 meg service, digital, HD DVR, HD pack and Sports pack. How will I know when new services or channels launch? Also, I'm glad I got the Sports Pack. However, it has 15 or less channels but I pay the same amount as other BH areas that have double and triple the amount of sports channels in that pack.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to RollTide14
Congrats, thank you and welcome

Normally we will make public announcements, our website www.brighthouse.com or certainly stick around here...I try to keep everyone updated whenever possible.