spc
Search similar:

uniqs
norwichDSL
join:2012-01-31
Norwich, VT

norwichDSL

[connectivity] Ongoing PPP Disconnects With My DSL

Every day my PPP disconnects randomly at least once a day, but up to 5 times per day. The DSL link remains connected, but the Internet Status says Not Connected, and the error is listed as PPP down. This has been going on for years, and Fairpoint has tried to fix it numerous times with no luck. It always seems to be a problem with the PPP connection, not the DSL link.

Here are my transceiver stats:
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864
Margin (dB) 10.1 11.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 49.0 24.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 15.0 11.9

I checked the System Logs on the modem, and a PPP timeout seems to be part of the issue.
norwichDSL

norwichDSL

I have been monitoring my connection, and found that the margin goes down substantially just before a disconnect occurs. When everything is working, the margin varies between 9.0 and 14.0.

Last night just after 5 pm the margin was at 11.0, and then suddenly it dropped to 6.0 and the PPP connection was lost. I immediately power cycled the modem, and then the margin was up to 14.0 and the connection was working again.

About 15 minutes later, the margin dropped again, this time down to 3.0 and the connection dropped. I power cycled the modem, and the margin was down to 0.1 and the connection was still down. I then power cycled again, and the margin was back up to 12.0, and the PPP connection was back up.

Can anyone explain what would cause such large fluctuations in the margin?
tomc924
join:2012-03-11
Greensboro Bend, VT

tomc924 to norwichDSL

to norwichDSL
cant answer your question, but I have similar connectivity issues... sometimes reset 50 times a day... sometimes go several weeks with no problem, This has been going on for over a year since i signed on with FP and from other forums ive read, alot longer than that.
Many "tickets " entered . never a response.
Anyome from Fairpoint read these forums.. I d like to hear from you guys so I dont hate your company as much anymore
tomc924

tomc924

Interent has been off or skittish for past 5 days here in NEK.
I have been calling FP routinely complaining about lack of service or response.... so i started talking "tech" last nite to a support guy who listened and i told him the probelm ewas that FP overbooked their service here and that their OC48 cant handle the trafiic and had heard they plan nothing to resolve the issue.. He got real quiet and then said he was goning to send his supervisor an email on my issue.
This morning at 7:45 AM i received a call from FP tech service and I was told that the lines up here are congested and they were going to move my connection to a better service. it would take a a week or so. Maybe this is more BS .. naybe not Ill let you know.. Anyone have expereince with COmcast wideband up here? I think that is my next move and then i can do their VOIP and can Fairpoint altogether

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to norwichDSL

MVM

to norwichDSL
Interesting - in my case margin is stable but on occasion will constantly lose PPPoE session. Normally happens a few times a week or less but for the last couple of days been happening multiple times per day.

In your case the reduction in margin is probably the root cause and loss of PPPoE session a result rather then the cause in my case.

Need to do some troubleshooting.

If DSL shares voice how is voice quality? Any noise on the line especially when phone is first picked up? How about crosstalk, other voices? If phone service is not up to par contact voice repair to have the line checked.

The second step is to eliminate inside wiring/equipment as a cause. Connect the modem directly to the phone company NID test jack (assuming your home has one). This disconnects inside wiring eliminating that as a possible cause. Normally this is a quick test connect the modem and see if stats are better at the NID. In your case leave it connected for an extended period, to monitor the connection.

Good Luck

/tom
fairlypointl
join:2012-03-22
Laconia, NH

fairlypointl to norwichDSL

to norwichDSL
lol... consider yourself lucky with one to five times a day with pppoe problems.

most days for me its about 5 pppoe mess ups usually its about 4 min or so before i can even force it to reconnect and at times it also says "dsl down" so i have to wait a bit til it realizes that yes i do actually have a dsl connection then force it to reconnect. Today its been 7x PPPoE down in the past hour and a couple of those times it didn't think i even had dsl at all for a while.

btw... the ess was too long or maybe fairpoint dc'd me while i was making my login here XD

once tech support told me "we are the #1 dsl provider in your area" i bit my tongue from saying congats on being best worst and only dsl provider in my town. only other option is cable

oh and this is me on my VZ phone thru mobile data cause i started this post on wifi and fairlypointless went down again so i shut off my phones wifi to even be able to post
tomc924
join:2012-03-11
Greensboro Bend, VT

tomc924

I had PPP down problems continually and finally got fed up an complained to the Dept of consumer affairs in VT.. The next day I received a call from A FP Cust service person who looked into the issue for me and arranged to have my DSL service moved to less congested equipment, ??? well DSL has been up un interupted now for a few weeks and I received a credit for the few weeks I was being shut-off... You have to be persistent with tech support and just tell them that they need to resolve the problem and you want hang up until they do.... unfortunately you need a lot of time to wait fore them to pick up ,,,,,, and maybe youl get a sympathetic agent
fairlypointl
join:2012-03-22
Laconia, NH

fairlypointl

i had been calling "support" for months saying my modem was having issues but that it may be a line problem... finally after months of "remote assistance" and i gave up and had them mail me a new modem. It couldn't connect AT ALL... did the call support and manual setup w/ no luck. finally a tech came and after 6 months of "remote assistance" they actually tested my phone line and found that there was a problem with a line about 1 mile from my house. They fixed that and it was actually nice for a while but their system is "due for an upgrade in your area in a couple months" which who know when will actually happen. So for now at least it stays connected but speed is really not great except for maybe midnight or 1am until ppl start waking up.

Plz comcast come north... SOON