spc
uniqs
annayya
join:2012-01-29

2 edits

annayya to RickStep

to RickStep

Re: [Internet] Bandwidth Usage tracking is incorrect

wow ... I had the default password with my b1 ID until today. Changed it now.
I am in Nuclear Engineering, so I heard about Chalk River a lot because of the nuclear research facility there which produces radioisotopes used by hospitals.

Anyway, the agent told me that they can refund the money since I usually don't exceed my bandwidth limit but I have to wait till the bill is generated.
I am glad I can get the refund but I want to know how this happened
I dont want them to feel like they are doing me a favour by removing a charge that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.
I asked for the detailed bandwidth usage details for those two days. I want to see the sources where data was downloaded from, from what device, and what time but they said they said it is not possible (or cannot) give this info to me

----

I see a lot of people read this forum and I don't want people to get a bad impression on Bell Canada due to this issue.
Despite this issue, I like Bell Internet. I have Fibe 25 for a few years now and its amazing.
I almost always get close to 25Mbps speed and the upload of 7Mbps makes it even better. (I rarely lose connection, less than once a week for a few minutes)

I had so many issues with Rogers 3 years ago that I can NEVER go back to Rogers. Bell was bad before the fibe, but now its the best internet service provider in my opinion (your opinion may vary depending on your location)
MrShag
join:2006-07-09
Hamilton, ON

MrShag

I am using teksavvy, for the same speeds.

I get 200g's a month for Bandwith. No overage. They also offer a new late night free consumption side.

The tech support is local, so you can understand them.

My bill is 75$ a month.

My phone is 30.

werd.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug

^^ You mean 300 GB a month? Just to be clear for the others, you don't have to pay $75 per month for that 300 GB limit. It's speed related.

Chuck sTruck
@teksavvy.com

Chuck sTruck to annayya

Anon

to annayya
If Ted and the boys knew how to run a cable internet company they'd own everyone as of maybe ten to 12 years ago. They let dsl in the backdoor with their stumblebum approach to running a cable internet company.
annayya

annayya to MrShag

to MrShag
I pay about $50 to Bell per month for internet as I have some discounts for the year. The 165GB I have is good enough for my needs as long as they don't fake the usage tracker.
We can check the talk time on our cell phones directly on the device, I don't understand why the ISPs don't want us to track our usage on the router settings page itself with advanced options as mentioned earlier when I see info on the internet stating it is possible. The sagemcom router that they give us should be designed to do the tracking task so we can claim that the online bandwidth tracker is wrong when we find out a variation in usage tracked by the router and Bell has to agree because the Router is given to us by Bell.

Very Interesting article: »www.digitalhome.ca/2011/ ··· t-usage/

Anyway, I wonder what happened to the UBB/stop the meter petition which had half million users signing to stop the meter for internet. (My friends and I didn't sign that petition just to help small ISPs with unlimited internet option...we thought we could finally get rid of the usage meter forever)

If people in USA can enjoy unlimited Internet, why should we Canadians be worried and check our usage every single day and restrict our family from using the internet freely.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to annayya

to annayya
said by annayya:

I asked for the detailed bandwidth usage details for those two days. I want to see the sources where data was downloaded from, from what device, and what time but they said they said it is not possible (or cannot) give this info to me

Logging that level of details for every subscriber and every connection ever made by those subscribers with timestamps and everything else could require over a terabyte per day of storage, not really practical and it would also probably hinder the routers' performance. Such detailed logging would also become a liability with the privacy commissioner, which basically means that Bell cannot legally do it even if they wanted to.

If you want more detailed live statistics generated locally, put Bell's modem into bridge mode, get your own router with built-in usage tracking and compare those numbers against Bell's. Not every router has this with stock firmware, neither do most gateway-modems.
annayya

annayya

I would buy another router but its a complete waste of money because any ISP would not care about usage details being shown on your "personal router".
Bell was nice enough to tell me that they will remove the additional charges once the bill is generated but they refuse to agree that its a mistake with their meter.

I agree I shouldn't have asked for the source of data due to privacy issues, but the rest I asked is valid. (time and usage by device)
Coming to the terabytes, I don't expect this data to be stored in their servers for ages. The detailed data only needs to be with them for about a month. I am sure 30TB for a big ISP company is not hard to afford to store usage details of all their customers, especially since the ISP loves to have usage based billing.

Anyway, I don't want them to store any data as I don't believe what I see online on their website. I rather see it directly on the router that is provided by the ISP. If each router has about 50 to 100 MB of memory it can store such data.
The least I can expect to see is the amount of bandwidth usage per hour of a day from any device (for about a month)

I have nothing against Bell, its my favourite ISP in Canada. Its just that no ISP in Canada has planned this usage based billing accurately with enough details that a customer has the right to know when he/she is being charged for his/her usage. Measurement Canada takes care of Electricity and Natural Gas meters but there's no one to validate the Bandwidth meter which is currently totally controlled by ISPs.

I came across a few things in the statistics on the router page. Not exactly what I want but it seems possible (assuming they can tweak the firmware to meet our needs).