how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON

[TV] Cancelling Rogers TV, my experience

After about ~5 days of the (free) trials of Boxee, Netflix and Unblock-Us (which allows you more Netflix titles, Hulu, and I'm pretty sure more content in Boxee from US websites) I called to cancel my cable. I've had cable my whole life (almost 30 years, my dad even worked at a cable company for about 15 of those years) so this was a big step for me, something that I've been thinking about for a long time. Honestly it was an emotional decision that I wrestled with for a while. I've had my own Rogers cable and internet service (ie. under my name, not roomates or parents) for about 7 years (plus Rogers home phone for the first 3 of them) and had/have the HD VIP package (one cable box, no PVR, + 2 other TV's plugged directly into outlets for ~60 analogue channels) + Express internet.

I already watch a lot of stuff online, I've had an extra laptop set up connected to my living room TV for about 5 years now to watch stuff streamed online or downloaded shows and movies. Previously it's been a lot of torrents but now likely through the services mentioned above (are you listening TV people?! I will pay for your easily accessible programming online even when I could get it for free! ...within reason...$3.50 for an episode of The Office on iTunes, are you fucking insane?!?). I only watch about 10 channels regularly and over $85 a month just for cable was getting ridiculous. And I just got that letter in the mail saying the prices were going up even more. I watch almost no sports (I'd watch the Leafs in the playoffs if they ever start winning again, so that's nothing to worry about, and the Olympics (winter mostly), which is every 2 (or 4) years and usually online anyways) so fortunately that wasn't an issue, but I do like to watch a lot of live news, in particular CNN, like, several hours a day (often just on in the background in the evening), which will be my biggest issue. I'd gladly pay a few $ a month directly to CNN to get it live online, even with commercials, just so I can stare into Anderson Cooper's deep blue eyes... what? ... but that's not available. His 10 minute summary video podcasts just dont do it for me, and they're not live. Live streams of CNN are available from some websites but they are low quality and of questionable legality. How much does CNN gets from Rogers for each subscriber? Less than 1$/month based on some quick Googling. I'll double it!

I had called to cancel cable about 1.5 years ago and they offered me 3 months free and I took that, since at the time I wasn't 100% sure about cancelling (at that time I just wanted to save some money so 3 months free accomplished that). This time I was offered 30% off my cable bill + 20% off internet for one year if I agreed to stay, that would have been about $50 off per month, but I was having none of their shenanigans this time. Maybe if the cable was free and came with a puppy, but even then, it'd have to be an extremely adorable puppy, who was already house trained. The customer retentions rep this time claimed they would have to send someone out to my house to "cap off the extra outlets" even though I'm in an apartment with only one outlet in my unit that is just split 3 ways and goes back into the walls to the different rooms and to the cable modem (apparently my Rogers account said I have 2 outlets). I questioned her on this and she specifically said the technician would need access to my apartment unit (not just wherever in the building all the lines come in), so I'd have to set up an appointment for a technician to come at some point after the 30 day cancellation waiting period or whatever they call it. When I asked again for clarification as to what exactly this technician was going to do, the phone line suddenly got very staticy, I couldn't hear her, and I had to hang up. Coincidence I suppose... although I've never had that happen on any phone call from my apartment.

When I called back I got a different retentions rep who offered the same 30% + 20% off deal, but when I said no thanks he just said ok no problem, the digital cable will be shut off after 30 days, you might still get some analog channels after that (for some time) if you plug your TV directly into the wall but you won't be charged for that, and just return your cable box and remote to a Rogers store within 1 week after the 30 days (no mention of having to send a tech). He thanked me for choosing Rogers. I definitely left with a better feeling for Rogers than the first rep gave me, so I hate them a little bit less. The first rep almost wasted a lot of my time and Rogers' time and money by sending a tech.

Based on my few days of trialling "online TV" I'll have to upgrade my Rogers internet service to avoid going over my current 60GB monthly limit (I was kind of expecting this...low monthly limits...hate for Rogers increasing...). Having all those TV shows at your finger tips is great, I've already started trying out a few new shows. I read on here that the Express package is soon increasing from 12 to 18 Mb/s and 60-70GB cap, but I don't think that will be quite enough. I don't need the extra speed, I'd rather have a 100GB+ cap and 10Mb/s. At some point I'll probably switch from Rogers to something like TekSavvy, but one thing at a time, and I'm a little concerned about what I read about service problems (delays getting set up, delays getting things fixed...which I realized is usually Rogers' fault but still...).

TL;DR: I cancelled cable after lots of soul searching, the retention reps might not really know what they're talking about (what else is new), if you stay you might get 30% off your cable + 20% off your internet for 1 year, I'll need more internet now that I don't have cable.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

I've been struggling with this same decision. The problem is, if you want any tier higher than Express on Internet, cable TV is a requirement.

If it wasn't for that, I'd have canceled TV forever and a day ago.

Bastards. Thankfully, they've been giving me cable at 50% off although that deal is coming to an end very soon...
--
Weeeeeee

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON

said by nekkidtruth:

The problem is, if you want any tier higher than Express on Internet, cable TV is a requirement.

I will likely be upgrading my Express to Extreme, I've never heard or read that having TV requirement anywhere, do you have a source for that?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to nekkidtruth

said by nekkidtruth:

I've been struggling with this same decision. The problem is, if you want any tier higher than Express on Internet, cable TV is a requirement.

No they stopped that a long time ago, don't let them tell you. Better off switching to an IISP like Distributel.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

I got a Boxee Box back in May. Two weeks later I canceled VIP Ultimate+TMN. A couple of weeks after that I phoned to cancel cable TV (basic digital just isn't worth it - not as good a value for the dollar as the VIP stuff). Got an indoor HD antenna for the network channels (the HD looks better OTA than with cable anyway).

I don't have unblock-us and still get more than I can watch (lots of stuff on Netflix Canada when you just look around a bit - lots of hidden gems). I was on Express at first and asked if I could buy more bandwidth. They offered the 20Gb $5 overage insurance, but also offered 20% off Extreme for a year. I decided to give that a try. That was the right move since Extreme got bumped to 100Gb not long after that. Of course that 20% deal ends sometime in May.

When I canceled cable TV they also offered me a couple of discounts that were very interesting, but since I could still get the channels I really want over the air (except the 24h news networks), I declined.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

Isn't astounding how they'll offer you the sweetest deal known to man if you stay, but if you are an existing customer, you get SFA!

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues

Define a long time ago please.

This was the case Nov'10 when I signed up. I'll be honest, when I moved I didn't check to see if that was still the case. I'll have to give them a call.

Update: Just spoke to a supervisor confirmed that Basic cable is not a requirement for any tier of Internet. She cancelled the contract I had for Basic cable without cancellation fees due to the fact that I was mislead. Was all done very quickly and she was extremely sympathetic. Because of this, I bumped up to Extreme Plus

--
Weeeeeee

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to biznatch11

said by biznatch11:

said by nekkidtruth:

The problem is, if you want any tier higher than Express on Internet, cable TV is a requirement.

I will likely be upgrading my Express to Extreme, I've never heard or read that having TV requirement anywhere, do you have a source for that?

I just noticed these posts while revisiting this thread... I'm on Extreme and don't have cable TV, so that's not an issue. I do have the home phone but I don't think that has anything to do with that either (I'm about to dump it for VoIP anyway).

sas

join:2011-01-28
reply to biznatch11

I got that price increase thing, too. I, too, only watch CP24 and some CNN. When I call to inquire about it, I was offered 20% off for 6 months. I asked why not one year or forever, he said there are always promos, just call back when the the discount expires! That was all he could offer, take it or leave it! I am working on getting the kids' approval to cancel Rogers cable TV. $46/mo for some local news and kids channels are too expensive.

Freetv

@bell.ca

I canceled my rogers cable about 10 yers ago, too this day they still haven't cut me off.

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Freetv :

I canceled my rogers cable about 10 yers ago, too this day they still haven't cut me off.

Mine was cut a few days later, end of June. A few weeks ago a Rogers tech showed up on a Friday night and told me I still had cable and they were about to cut it, so it could kill my Internet connection for a minute or so. I told him the service had been cut less than a week after my cancellation date and he found it weird. Maybe some tech reconnected it when doing work in the cable box (I'm in a condo building). Anyway, the TV had been hooked up to an antenna since then so I didn't even know.

Freetv

@bell.ca

Rogers has some shady contractors, I've been offered free(well not free they asked for $100) cable from more than 1 contractor in the last couple of years, and they seem to always be the black guys.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON

I'm not sure why you felt like race needed to be mentioned there. There's plenty of shady installers of all sexes and colours working for Rogers.
--
Tom

Freetv

@bell.ca

Because I call it as I see it.