All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Iphoneuser

@rr.com
reply to banditws6

Re: [Spam] SMS spam from 271-40 - Reply STOP or ignore?

I just had this happen 1-31-2012. I have never even browsed horoscopes online let alone sign up for something like this. I called AT&T immediately and told them about it. They said to definitely text back STOP, and that the jerks had already started charging me $9.99/month. AT&T removed the charge and made sure I didn't have any other charges. I'll definitely be reporting these clowns to the FCC (where I report ALL spam texts). Definitely call your service provider and text STOP!

Shon

@sbcglobal.net
I had this happen to me about an hour ago. I called AT&T adn was told the same. Also I had been subscribed and was charged the $9.99/month. The charge was removed and I quickly opted for the purchase blocker for the phones I have there should be no charges unless I authorize them in the future.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to Iphoneuser
said by Iphoneuser :

I called AT&T immediately and told them about it. They said to definitely text back STOP, and that the jerks had already started charging me $9.99/month. AT&T removed the charge and made sure I didn't have any other charges. I'll definitely be reporting these clowns to the FCC (where I report ALL spam texts). Definitely call your service provider and text STOP!

Again, regardless of what the carrier says, I advise against replying if you put a billing block on your account. Miscreants may not be able to bill you but they can certainly continue to hit you with texts once they know the number is live (that will cost you money if you don't have an unlimited plan or one that has enough leeway for junk in addition to your regular use).
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

DigitalNC

join:2009-12-29
united state
reply to Iphoneuser
DO NOT reply STOP - ever!!!!!!!!! AT&T wants you to do this because this confirms your phone number and MAYBE, just maybe, some other scumbag spammer gets a charge through on your account and you dont notice it and AT&T gets a cut!!!!!