how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ttx336

join:2011-11-18
Manvel, TX

extremely poor POTS, would switching to T1/VoIP be better

This is my first post here I think... my wife works for a business that is in a rural Texas, Juliff to be exact. They have POTS provided there now, I won't name the carrier out of respect for their reputation but the service is very poor quality. I am doing the IT support for the business so I have been loosely involved in the telephone issue. Additionally, they have Internet provided by SkyNet and the speed is pretty slow. I initially suggested to them to use a T1 line and VoIP, specifically, Cisco's Call Manager. I am wondering if we should revisit this; seems like going to T1 would force the carrier to finally fix the line(s) because digital is not going to stand for the static... what do you all think about this?

They really need faster Internet and they desperately need better phone service!

Regards, Gary

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI
You didn't really say what the issue with the POTS lines are, is it static, or something else?

Also, if you haven't gotten quotes, a T1 in rural Texas isn't going to be cheap. It is also going to travel over the same copper your current POTS lines does, so you may be in for for a battle to get issues resolved, depending on your T1 carrier, and SLA's

How many POTS lines do they need, going VoIP, depending on the # of lines, will eat away at the 1.5mb of the T1.

You said you want faster Internet access, what speed do they have now?.

T1's are not speed demons, they are meant more for mission critical applications.
--
Lightning Bolt Technologies

ttx336

Manvel, TX
Currently, they have 4 POTS lines and the issue is mainly static, really bad static if it is raining or has recently rained. Their Internet speed is inconsistent but gets really low around the time that the neighboring kids get home from school. Also, the service seems to be very 'low power', that is, if even one person plays a video or streams Pandora it brings everyone else to a halt. I've seen it up around 900kbps or slightly more and down in the 30s.

Though T1 isn't as fast as broadband, it seems to have a lot of power... one T1 line runs the whole facility where I work and supports about 50 of us reasonably well. There are a total of four people in my wife's office but usually only three are there at a time.

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24
What kind of Internet are they using? A T1 will provide more consistent and stable bandwidth as it's dedicated, symmetrical, and full duplex. If they were to obtain an Integrated Access T1 which includes the phone lines, those are typically now VoIP, rather than TDM based like POTS. But VoIP running on a T1 works pretty well these days (not so much on DSL/Cable/Wireless however). Of course cost would be a factor here as T1s can be pricey in rural areas.

ttx336

Manvel, TX
They currently are using SkyNet because that is all that is available to them. The price that was quoted to them for T1 was *only* about $470 per month with a 3yr contract, that didn't put me off at all... their Internet is about $100/mo and the phone bill alone is running well over $500/mo and has gotten upwards of a couple thousand with call forwards, etc from the previous provider. I really think T1 and VoIP makes good sense...

In regard to your comment about Integrated Access... is that ISDN?? I am in Cisco's CCNA and we are learning about WAN right now; I am really confused about the difference between T1 and ISDN. It seems like T1 is all digital service and ISDN is part T1 and part of the channels (wire pairs?) devoted to voice?? Am I close on that?

Thank you so much for your reply, this is not at all a dead issue, I am very much still working on this. They have horrible phone service and are fast approaching their busy season wherein they will receive hundreds of calls a day, they desperately need to get this resolved before the (phone call) dam breaks again!

-Gary

ttx336

Manvel, TX
reply to TeleServPro
They currently are using SkyNet because that is all that is available to them. The price that was quoted to them for T1 was *only* about $470 per month with a 3yr contract, that didn't put me of at all... their Internet is about $100/mo and the phone bill alone is running well over $500/mo and has gotten upwards of a couple thousand with call forwards, etc from the previous provider. I really think T1 and VoIP makes good sense...

In regard to your comment about Integrated Access... is that ISDN?? I am in Cisco's CCNA and we are learning about WAN right now; I am really confused about the difference between T1 and ISDN. It seems like T1 is all digital service and ISDN is part T1 and part of the channels (wire pairs?) devoted to voice?? Am I close on that?

Thank you so much for your reply, this is not at all a dead issue, I am very much still working on this. They have horrible phone service and are fast approaching their busy season wherein they will receive hundreds of calls a day, they desperately need to get this resolved before the (phone call) dam breaks again!

-Gary

this may show as a duplicate, I submitted it but I do not see it on the forum...

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by ttx336:

It seems like T1 is all digital service and ISDN is part T1 and part of the channels (wire pairs?) devoted to voice??

After the success of T1 the Telcos though ISDN would be the next big thing, extending digital all the way to the customer. Basically T1 supports 24 64kbps voice grade channels and Basic rate ISDN supports 2 channels. Being digital ISDN provides high quality voice and with the right ISP and CPE equipment easily bond both channels together for 128 kbps data. When a call comes on or goes out data drops back to a single channel.

Missteps over the years and high pricing have relegated ISDN to a niche player.

VoIP with a T1 line is probably the way to go since one of the reasons for the high price of T1 is the service level agreement (SLA). Since copper in your area is not well maintained you don't want to get caught up in provider finger pointing. Plus a commercial orientated ISP will not oversell the connection to the degree a residential ISP will.

Voice is a regulated service so if the lines are not maintained may want to contact the state Public Utilities Commission and file a complaint.

/tom
Expand your moderator at work

ttx336

Manvel, TX
reply to tschmidt

Re: extremely poor POTS, would switching to T1/VoIP be better

said by tschmidt:

Voice is a regulated service so if the lines are not maintained may want to contact the state Public Utilities Commission and file a complaint.

/tom

I did not know that... I will pass this along to my wife and have her file a complaint.

Thanks for the information about the T1!

-Gary
Expand your moderator at work