uniqs

HDClown
@rr.com

HDClown to HDClown

Anon

to HDClown

Re: WH-DVR with MoCA home networking?

Initial testing = Failure

I turned on 1 NIM100 and I lost MoCA sync on my converters. Unplug the NIM100 and MoCA sync on the converter comes back in about 2 seconds.

Also, I had a converter running throughout he pass-through coax on one of the NIM100's, and even with all NIM100's powered off, that unit would not MoCA sync, even though my other converter did. So the converters don't like running throughout the unit. I ran into something similar with my TiVo and a Tuning Adapter.

The NIM100 I have at my cable modem (with home phone) is setup so that the cable modem runs through the pass-through on that NIM100, and i have zero issues with RR Lightning or Home Phone.

What I will do tomorrow AM is take the NIM100 at my moment and put a splitter on the jack, so that I run from wall -> splitter -> NIM100 and the other side of the splitter to modem. Then I'll put a splitter at the jack for my other NIM100 and see if I get any different results.

Digging through the NIM100's, there is a place you can set a DES key. The brief description says all MoCA devices need to same DES key to interoperate. So it's possible there is a key mismatch between NIM100's and BHN gear causing BHN gear to lose MoCA sync.

What is weird is that the NIM100's work fine, extending my home network when powered on, but the BHN gear doesn't. That doesn't make much sense.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Do you know what frequencie the nim100's are using to transmit? also, do you know what frequencies the pass through supports up to?

HDClown
@rr.com

HDClown

Anon

BHNtechXpert: Will do. Unrelated: Any tips on how I can get my local office to give me an 8742HDC, or get a truck roll to get me one and swap out my SMT-H3272? Two weeks ago, I saw all kinds of people posting here about getting 8742HDC's.

tim tim tim: No clue on the pass-through. The NIM100's use an Entropic chipset, but don't know much about specifics. In the "coax" section of the web interface, under "Channel", it lists:

15 (1150 Mhz)
17 (1200 Mhz)
19 (1250 Mhz)
21 (1300 Mhz)
23 (1350 Mhz)
25 (1400 Mhz)

There is also a "bridge type" with setting of network coordinator, client, or auto. Mine are all set auto.

HDCown
@rr.com

HDCown

Anon

Interesting. The NIM100 I turned on is communicating with the H3272 DVR. Diags for the DVR show MoCA RF channel at 1150Mhz, and the NIM100 is on 1200Mhz. Communication is at 250mbps, so it's working fine with the NIM100 Samsung box.

So it seems like the issues is with the Cisco 4742HDC's not communicating.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Try rebooting them and see if they adapt.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

What are you trying to share over your home moca network? I'm not too familiar with them but I am quite familiar with how the bhn system works. The bhn moca are using the same frequencies that your nim100's are using which is why the Samsung is finding it. I would assume that the Cisco's should as well, try rebooting them like bhntech suggested. Not sure if they will actually play what your trying to share but I guess its worth a shot. Like I said, I dont know much about what your trying to do
tim tim tim

tim tim tim

So I did 2 seconds of research and found out what the nim100's do. Are you hoping to be able to stream content to your box over these or are you hoping to be able to just use them along with your moca system?

with more thought, I dont see why you wouldnt be able to use them both. you MIGHT encounter issues when you are trying to use the whdvr function (watch a recording in a different room). I dont see why it wouldnt work at all other times.

Those moca filters are just low pass filters. Everything over 1ghz is reflected back away from the filter. If your nim100's arent working after his install, there may be a filter in the wrong spot or something. The modem does need to be seperated from the moca network, it wont fry the modem but it will cause connection issues. It doesnt nessesarily need a filter behind it though. I wish I could go and troubleshoot it in person to see if it would work!

HDClown
@rr.com

HDClown to tim tim tim

Anon

to tim tim tim
NIM100's are simply MoCA network extenders (bridges). They have coax in, coax out, power, and 1 ethernet jack.

I am using the NIM100's to extend my home network into rooms I don't have ethernet cable ran. WiFi isn't good enough to stream 1080p content, so I got a trio of NIM100's off eBay and have been using them for years now to support my 1080p streaming needs.

All I'm hoping to do is keep my NIM100's talking to each other for extending my network, and the BHN boxes talking to each other so WH-DVR works.

And of course, now all my boxes are getting MoCA sync just fine. Why does it work now and not before? Not a clue. I didn't power cycle the DVR or converters, just the NIM100's (various times in the past few hours).

I think the converters may be sensitive to running on the pass-through though, so I will have to split at the jack for the one in that room. My DVR is not using pass-through for the NIM100 from it's original setup, and I can't remember why I did that in general.
HDClown

HDClown

Anon

I will need to try some WH-DVR operations file I actively use a NIM100. Considering how MoCA works in general, I should be able to use all devices at the same time. Total bandwidth will be effected of course, but with each MoCA devices running around 250 Mbps, I'm sure I'd have enough capacity. The 1080p content i stream average about 12Mbps, and at most, I have 2x1080p streams going.

So then it's a matter of the Mbps rate of WH-DVR content streamed form DVR to converter.