spc
Search similar:

uniqs

elivillar
@grgrid.net

elivillar

Anon

Anti-Satellite Dish Policy Proposed In Chicago

A Chicagoan alderman, Ray Suarez, wants to keep satellite dishes away from the front of residences and urges satellite installers to fix them on sides or rear of buildings.

At a meeting of Zoning Committee last Thursday, he showed pictures of buildings in his ward, some having as much as 9 dishes in front. He observed that satellite dishes are just left behind when renters move out.

The alderman proposes that landlords take the responsibility of removing the satellite dishes of their previous tenants. Property owners would also be responsible for removing the devices after residents move out their buildings or if their satellite broadband contract is discontinued.

“It makes it look terrible," Suarez laments. But satellite broadband providers argue that satellite dishes can’t get as good signals when bolted on the sides or rear of buildings. However, Suarez believes that dish installers prefer to put the dishes in front rather than in the narrow gangways simply because the former is easier for them to do. "I've talked to installers who say they're just taking the easy way," said Suarez.

Suarez got his proposal approved by the committee and it now heads to the full City Council. Under the proposed rule, satellite broadband providers that insist on installing dishes on the street side of a building have to explain in writing why it won’t work in other sides.
--

Fro: »satellitebroadbandco.blo ··· h=5&tpl=

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

It is an unsightly situation, and his intent has merit. But I'm sorta curious why alderman Suarez is limiting his proposal to "satellite broadband providers". Odds are pretty good that at least 8 out of his 9 example dishes are for satellite television reception

//greg//
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by grohgreg:

It is an unsightly situation, and his intent has merit. But I'm sorta curious why alderman Suarez is limiting his proposal to "satellite broadband providers". Odds are pretty good that at least 8 out of his 9 example dishes are for satellite television reception

//greg//

The guy just doesn't know what he's talking about. With the exception of some business applications, nobody gets satellite internet where cable/U-Verse/DSL is available.

While an excessive amount of sat dishes are unsightly, having the city regulate where you can place them is asking for trouble. After all we all know how Chicago is known for it's up and up politics and other than sales taxes, sat tv providers rarely pay any fees to the city/county/state. So if a local government can make it difficult for sat tv, then what option is left? Why the local cabelco that does happen to pay plenty of those fees.

Sircolby450
join:2005-11-26

Sircolby450 to elivillar

to elivillar
What is so hideous about a satellite dish? Personally I think it is a load of crap telling somebody where they can put their satellite dish in their own yard. I wish our government would focus a little more of that time and energy on real problems. Your tax dollars at work.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to mogamer

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

The guy just doesn't know what he's talking about. With the exception of some business applications, nobody gets satellite internet where cable/U-Verse/DSL is available.

And from Michigan, you know this to be a Chicago fact?. My son & family live in a 60641 two flat, and has had satellite TV for years. He's not alone in the neighborhood.

//greg//
grohgreg

grohgreg to Sircolby450

to Sircolby450
said by Sircolby450:

What is so hideous about a satellite dish?

Nothing. But 9 on the same roof - all visible from the street - really IS over the top.

//greg//

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to Sircolby450

to Sircolby450
See thats the thing, where most of these dish farms are at, are rental properties. As an ex-installer the sat co's take the position that once installed you own the dish, only dish network wants the "eyes" or LNB back. There was a billable code that we could come back out and remove it, but it wasn't free.

Perhaps these rental properties should make a condition of move out the resident removes the dish or it comes out the security deposit for maintenance to remove it.

And any ordnance this alderman passes that restricts or prevents the dish install will get promptly ignored as the FCC's OTARD rules will trump it.

Sircolby450

Sircolby450 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

said by Sircolby450:

What is so hideous about a satellite dish?

Nothing. But 9 on the same roof - all visible from the street - really IS over the top.

//greg//

I don't really see why anybody would have 9 dishes unless it was an apartment complex or something. I still think telling people what they can put on their own house unless it is vulgar/obscene is overstepping their bounds. I personally don't want my tax dollars going to regulating such nonsense when there are millions of issues that are FAR more important. I don't think our country is going to go into ruin over a few satellite dishes. No wonder our government has a huge deficit. We waste it on crap like this. One by one we are letting these idiots running our country strip away our rights and waste our money on nonsense instead of actually doing something useful with it.
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT to elivillar

to elivillar
said by elivillar :

Under the proposed rule, satellite broadband providers that insist on installing dishes on the street side of a building have to explain in writing why it won’t work in other sides.

That's a violation of the FCC OTARD Rule and thus illegal, if that explanation must be given prior to installation.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Sircolby450

to Sircolby450
Hey, it's Illinois; one of the few states in the union where the population is declining. Citizens and corporations are fed up with exactly what you're talking about, and are voting with their feet.

But 9 dishes visible from the street on a single structure is still bone ugly. To enforce your suggestion to make renters take them down when they leave - pretty much necessitates at least a city ordinance. To get all the building owners/rental agents together to withhold rent/damage deposits until a dish is removed - would be akin to herding cats.

//greg//
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

said by mogamer:

And from Michigan, you know this to be a Chicago fact?. My son & family live in a 60641 two flat, and has had satellite TV for years. He's not alone in the neighborhood.

//greg//

What the hell are you talking about? Learn to read! I said satellite internet not satellite tv. As a matter of fact I have Dish Network as my tv provider.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by mogamer:

What the hell are you talking about? Learn to read!

C'mon sport, pot-kettle. Besides, a dish is a dish. The only difference between a TV dish and an internet dish is one cable and a transmitter. I defy most people to tell the difference from the ground. Including some alderman. That's why I question his attention on "satellite broadband providers". Like I said, probably 8 of those 9 dishes he's complaining about were satellite TV.

//greg//
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by grohgreg:

said by mogamer:

C'mon sport, pot-kettle. Besides, a dish is a dish. The only difference between a TV dish and an internet dish is one cable and a transmitter. I defy most people to tell the difference from the ground. Including some alderman. That's why I question his attention on "satellite broadband providers". Like I said, probably 8 of those 9 dishes he's complaining about were satellite TV.

//greg//

I would like to know where you get this "pot, kettle" from? Why have you been attacking me on this thread? Do you always act like a troll? I was talking about sat internet because that's what the politician said. I was showing that the guy didn't know what he was talking about, yet he wants to regulate those dishes. I'm sure all none of those dishes were for tv because, like I said, nobody in their right mind would get sat internet where other options are available for much cheaper. I wasn't knocking sat tv or having dishes on the roof at all.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits

grohgreg

oh-kaaaay .... So your position is that the alderman can in fact - from the street - tell the difference between an internet dish and a TV dish? Me thinks you're givin' the fella too much credit. The "pot-kettle" bit was because I addressed his probable misconception (twice). Once before you posted, once after. Pot-Kettle was simply a more courteous retort to your "Learn to read" insult.

So if you think I'm wrong about 8 of 9 dishes on a rental property roof likely being for satellite TV - why not just say so? And - do you really think a 10+ year membership and nearly 10000 posts fits the profile of a troll?? Or did you miss that little detail as well ?

//greg//

Sircolby450

Sircolby450 to mogamer

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

I would like to know where you get this "pot, kettle" from? Why have you been attacking me on this thread? Do you always act like a troll?

said by mogamer:

Looks like you're the one doing the attacking there budrow. I see no attacks from greg.