spc
Search similar:

uniqs
yanks
join:2003-09-10
USA

yanks

Linksys E4200 v2 against Netgear WNDR4500

I purchased the Linksys E4200v2 and was unable to get an internet connection on my laptop in 5GHz mode. I called Linksys and they had me change some settings in the Router login page. I now get a 5GHz connection, but when I do a speed test I get nowhere near the 30mbps I'm supposed to get.

I borrowed a friends Netgear WNDR4500 and set it up right next to the E4200v2 and with the laptop in the same place and at the same time as when testing the speed of the Linksys I get a full 30mbps download reading.

My question is considering these are both companies top of the line wireless routers, and that the compete with each other, do you think there might be something defective with the E4200v2? I just wonder how they can have such different results.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd

MVM

said by yanks:

My question is considering these are both companies top of the line wireless routers, and that the compete with each other, do you think there might be something defective with the E4200v2? I just wonder how they can have such different results.

Describe your client --- and do you know which chipset is being used by your client.

Based on your description my take is that your CLIENT is using technology that is complimentary to the WNDR4500 which is why you are getting the performance you expect to get. Read my posts here to learn WHY.

So after you read my linked posts above you could exchange the E4200v2 for the E4200v1 [assumming that the E4200v1 is still avialable] I suspect your client would perform much better. Or you could just take back the E4200v2 and exchange it for the Netgear WNDR4500.
yanks
USA

yanks

Thanks. From what I can see it just says Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter. Not sure where I can find the exact model.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

Yep, your best course is to try and get the E4200v1 failing that the WNDR4500 will work well for you.
yanks
USA

yanks

Thanks a lot. Interestingly it's only the laptop that has the problem. We have 3 computers in the house, 2 desktops and the laptop, all Macs. So I think they all have Broadcom wireless network adapters, but I'll have to check. With the desktops I get the appropriate download speed.

In 2.4GHz the Linksys has longer range. I know this because more neighbors networks show up in the list than with the Netgear in 2.4GHz mode. Just an observation.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by yanks:

In 2.4GHz the Linksys has longer range. I know this because more neighbors networks show up in the list than with the Netgear in 2.4GHz mode. Just an observation.

The WNDR4500 will get equal or better range if its PLACED properly --- the fact that you see more neighbors networks is not an indicator of superiority --- many factors are involved. And of course I could say the exact same thing for the E4200v1 or E4200v2 although IMO the E4200v1 is superior to the E4200v2.
yanks
USA

yanks

Thanks for your help. Looks like I'll return the Linksys and pick up the Netgear.
Expand your moderator at work

jetdr111
@65.170.41.x

jetdr111 to mozerd

Anon

to mozerd

Re: Linksys E4200 v2 against Netgear WNDR4500

Which N900 router do you prefer? I have 2 hp computers, 1 hp laptop, 2 ipods, 1 kindle fire and a toshiba thrive. I forgot the wii and a lg internet dvd player.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by jetdr111 :

Which N900 router do you prefer?

I prefer the WNDR4500 and I do recommend it.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

decx to yanks

Premium Member

to yanks
It's neither the E4200v2 or the WNDR4500, but I've gotten my hands on a RT-n66u and have been playing around with it the last week or so and so far it's definitely a N900 router that should be considered.

It's quite impressive. Wireless signals in 2.4GHz is a significant improvement over the WRT54GL units I've been running. 5GHz range is also quite good, although somewhat lower range than 2.4GHz (as expected) it holds a stronger and more stable connection than the the WRT54GL's 2.4GHz radio.

As of the latest firmware it is also stable without any reboots. However there are still numerous bugs in the firmware affecting a number of functions such as WAN admin access, buggy traffic monitor interface, and issues with the DLNA server feature. But it's definitely a good start.