uniqs

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca to Lynn0

Premium Member

to Lynn0

Re: Velcom, Acanac, price change, when ?

We will be making our new plans available within the next few days. One thing I can assure everyone here is that clients currently on our existing terms will see no changes until the renewal dates.

With that said I believe we will have the most attractive service rates of any ISP.

Most importantly none of our plans will come with any bandwidth caps.
BigBenBeaub
join:2011-11-22

BigBenBeaub

said by Canaca:

We will be making our new plans available within the next few days. One thing I can assure everyone here is that clients currently on our existing terms will see no changes until the renewal dates.

With that said I believe we will have the most attractive service rates of any ISP.

Will those new plans include cable speed 15/30/60 in quebec ?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

In Quebec on the Cable side we will be going with 8Mbps and 30Mbps unlimited.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to Canaca

Premium Member

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

Wait a minute here. How can you advertise no bandwidth cap when you cap the bandwidth at 8mbps ?

I do not believe that there is any technology that exists today which does not have a bandwidth cap.

Calimera
@electronicbox.net

Calimera to Canaca

Anon

to Canaca
Yeah Baby !!!

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
I am in trouble
rambokid
join:2007-10-16
Brampton, ON

rambokid to Canaca

to Canaca
I plan to switch from velcom to acanac based on the current 6mbps unlimited website price. Will the new plan be higher? There is no point to jump ship if the new price is same as velcom. Velcom wants 30 days notice so I need to let them know today! Can you PM me if the info is confidential. Thanks
rambokid

rambokid to Canaca

to Canaca
I plan to switch from velcom to acanac based on the current 6mbps unlimited $28.95 Order Now ($33.95 regular) website price. Will the new plan be higher? There is no point to jump ship if the new price is same as velcom. Velcom wants 30 days notice so I need to let them know today! Can you PM me if the info is confidential.
rambokid

rambokid to Canaca

to Canaca
Can I subscribe to Acanac now to take advantage of the promotional price but add comment that states the current DSL provider velcom will release my profile/line on end of Feb?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

You can place the order however will start the order right away. You would end up paying for an extra 30 days with Velcom. (or at least 20-24 days)

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to Canaca

Premium Member

to Canaca
said by jfmezei:

said by Canaca:

Wait a minute here. How can you advertise no bandwidth cap when you cap the bandwidth at 8mbps ?

I do not believe that there is any technology that exists today which does not have a bandwidth cap.

said by Canaca:

I am in trouble

In BIG trouble if you keep using the term 'Bandwidth' incorrectly when JF, myself, and some others are around here.

C'mon Indie ISPs, lets get together on this :

Bandwidth is the technical term for SPEED, not for 'Monthly USAGE', which itself COULD be called Traffic, if you still want another word for it.

You and a couple of others need to change your rate pages to use the industry lingo properly, or else one day your low prices alone will not be enough to bring in customers.

[/morning rant, now going for a coffee]

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Old habits are hard to break. You absolutely correct that we should be using proper industry lingo.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Canaca:

Old habits are hard to break. You absolutely correct that we should be using proper industry lingo.

Thanks for saying so.

Now if we could just get Marc to say so too, and y'all edit your rate pages on yer websites.....

I know that we all have bigger telecom fish to fry, but doing that would be small and symbolic victory for some.

After all, this is supposed to be a forum of geeks (not just complainers), and we should ALL know our stuff, not just the ISPs.

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

One we do our plan updates I will also make the changes to the lingo.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Canaca:

Once we do our plan updates I will also make the changes to the lingo.

K00L !

And I/we will also be looking at your numbers - not just the words.

BUT, (and I've said this before - check my post history)

ANY IISP (Indie ISP) who puts the following words together in a sentence will REALLY get MY attention :

CABLE, TPIA, COGECO, EASTERN ONTARIO, AVAILABLE NOW, CLICK HERE (on a working link )

Of course this would need to include reasonable prices, caps, and overuse fees.

A solid 8Mb/1Mb would be enough bandwidth (speed) for me, though some would be thirsty for more.

Just saying....

smnoi
@distributel.net

smnoi to Canaca

Anon

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

No changes until the renewal dates meaning the price won't change but we will get the unlimited bandwidth right away?
asif9t9
join:2006-01-01
Oakville, ON

asif9t9 to Canaca

to Canaca
Hi Acanac. When you say existing terms will stay the same until renewal dates, do you mean if I sign up for 1yr of unlimited service today, you will guarantee 1yr of unlimited service no matter what happens with Bell/Rogers?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

said by asif9t9:

Hi Acanac. When you say existing terms will stay the same until renewal dates, do you mean if I sign up for 1yr of unlimited service today, you will guarantee 1yr of unlimited service no matter what happens with Bell/Rogers?

I can never say never however unless something were to dramatically change you have my guarantee.
BigBenBeaub

BigBenBeaub to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

said by Canaca:

We may provide some interim rates that are a bit more competitive. For the final rates we are still waiting to see if we can properly implement our throttling strategy during peak hours.

30Mbps Unlimited with throttling .... doesnt sound Unlimited to me !

Are those throttling strategy for cable too ?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

said by BigBenBeaub:

said by Canaca:

said by Canaca:

We may provide some interim rates that are a bit more competitive. For the final rates we are still waiting to see if we can properly implement our throttling strategy during peak hours.

Usage will be unlimited through the 24 hour period. You max download speed my be reduced from 7PM 12AM.

These types of plans may not be perfect for everyone. If this is the case Distributel may be a better option.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Canaca:

said by BigBenBeaub:

said by Canaca:

said by Canaca:

Usage will be unlimited through the 24 hour period. You max download speed my be reduced from 7PM 12AM.

These types of plans may not be perfect for everyone. If this is the case Distributel may be a better option.

But you ARE Distributel, or at the very least a wholly own subsidiary or company.
BigBenBeaub

BigBenBeaub to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

said by BigBenBeaub:

said by Canaca:

said by Canaca:

If i pay for a 30Mbps i want the full 30Mbps for each hour of the day

If i get throttled between 7pm and 12am ... better go with a lower cost/month internet plan or with another ISP that doesnt throttle at all !
rseiler
join:2001-11-01

rseiler to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

May? And to what? Just as Rogers announces they're ending it, you're starting it?! Is Feb 6 actually April 1 in Canada?
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to BigBenBeaub

to BigBenBeaub
said by BigBenBeaub:

If i pay for a 30Mbps i want the full 30Mbps for each hour of the day

If i get throttled between 7pm and 12am ... better go with a lower cost/month internet plan or with another ISP that doesnt throttle at all !

It'll help to know what the throttled speed and price will be first. After those are announced, if you find a better deal be sure to let us know. I suspect you won't find one.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

They are not going to buy more links just to have them sit idle most of the day.To bloody expensive now

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

But you ARE Distributel, or at the very least a wholly own subsidiary or company.

Yes we are however we offer different service plans at different rates.
kenze
join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC

kenze to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

said by BigBenBeaub:

said by Canaca:

said by Canaca:

They are not only imperfect but illogical as well, why would we pay for "30mbps unlimited" if we are in reality getting "30mbps unlimited" 20 hours a day? The advertised speed should be what we get from you at all times.

Such practices are something Rogers or Bell would pull, it's not something I expect from an independent ISP.

alienzzz
join:2011-02-17

alienzzz

said by kenze:

They are not only imperfect but illogical as well, why would we pay for "30mbps unlimited" if we are in reality getting "30mbps unlimited" 20 hours a day? The advertised speed should be what we get from you at all times.

If you want the advertised speed at all times, sign up with videotron. It's either throttling or caps. There is no way around it considering that a single 100 mbps link to videotron costs $1800/month to Acanac.
kenze
join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC

kenze

said by alienzzz:

said by kenze:

If you want the advertised speed at all times, sign up with videotron. It's either throttling or caps. There is no way around it considering that a single 100 mbps link to videotron costs $1800/month to Acanac.

I'd take a high cap over being throttled 4-5 hours a day and so would almost everyone else. It's a no-brainer unless you pirate 1TB a month.

If they can't make their unlimited packages respect both advertised speed and usage, perhaps they should consider 400GB caps which would satisfy 99% of customers

alienzzz
join:2011-02-17

alienzzz

Well this is where competition comes into play... Acanac is catering to an unlimited crowd. If you want a high cap consider Ebox or (hopefully?) TSI.