thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

Belkin N150 router lag problem.

I was having incredible problems after moving with internet connections.

I tried to play a game, and it lagged very often. Then I noticed if I try to remote into a neighboring machine on my wireless LAN using radmin, it froze for 3 seconds at a time every 20 seconds. This made me start to think it was a local problem.

I ran a line quality test. My DSL line has no packet loss and great latency.

I thought it was either the router or the wireless cards being used. I connected all the machines to a neighbor's wifi which was unsecured, that had much lower signal strength, and all of the problems went away. Games did not lag, printing shipping labels did not time out anymore, and using Radmin did not result in awful lag.

The problem has to be with the belkin N150. Are there any settings I should be aware of changing to make it work properly?

Thanks,

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

From your description it sounds like your N150 is besieged with interference from overcrowding wireless emitters.

The simplest thing you can try is to try different placement locations for your N150 ... Best placement is very high up and centrally located --- for example in a 2 story home the 2nd story and central as possible [top of the stairs and near the ceiling] -- and if that is not convenient play with what you can. The other thing try is to set the channels either 1 or 6 or 11 that may help.

If your using wireless keyboards/mouse and Bluetooth in close proximity to your N150 that also will cause the kind of problems you're experiencing.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

I use a bluetooth headset. I tried disabling it, same problem. I am limited in where I can put the wireless router, but tried a few other positions nearby.

I've never had this problem with my actiontec router that had wifi that I used before I had to switch over to the modem/router combo with no wifi. I also have no problem connecting to the neighboring store next door's wireless router(they have the same actiontec router/dsl modem I used to have).

I have tried upgrading its firmware, moving it around, and went through the settings to disable the firewall, try G vs. N, try different channels, try it unencrypted. At this point, I'm left to assume it's a piece of junk.
thender

thender to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
The WRT54GL came today. I learned my lesson on cheaping out because I wanted something local. It is better to buy right the first time.

It works perfectly right out of the box, even though I had it placed under a radiator 3 rooms away! No more random 125 ms latency spikes regardless of channel, no more packetloss or lag.