Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anon88

@comcast.net

How do I check my printer cartridge levels?

I have a really old (2003-ish) HP printer/scanner/copier 1315 connected to my Windows 7 computer. Everything works fine, but I am unable to view the ink cartridge levels. I tried going on the HP site to download software specific to the printer, but all I see is a "driver" that seems to just support basic functionality. The printer naturally worked when I plugged it in, but I just need to see the ink cartridge levels.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
»h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ma ··· uestion/

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6
JK,
Link not working....

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
reply to anon88
This is what it says for my HP printer......
1)Open Ink Printer Toolbox
2)Click the estimated level tab

Edit..
To open Printer toolbox..
1)Open the printer properties dialog box
2) click features tab and then printer services button

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
said by art22gg:

This is what it says for my HP printer......
1)Open Ink Printer Toolbox
2)Click the estimated level tab

Edit..
To open Printer toolbox..
1)Open the printer properties dialog box
2) click features tab and then printer services button

That also what mine suggests to do all full
--
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêD
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
9/11/01 Never Forget
(H59 Clan)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to anon88
You can't on old HP printers. I have a DeskJet 882C that will be 13 years old in May. It works great still and it has nice fat ink cartridges...not the anemic little bitty ones that are in HP printers today. But I can't check ink levels. I can run a test by printing a page and seeing if the black ink is getting fainter, or smudgy, or something that would indicate low ink (or print a color test page to see if one of the colors is out). Usually, I get some sort of warning that the ink is about out, but last time it printed a page in a multipage document just fine and the next page it didn't print at all. It was suddenly out of ink with no warning of any kind.

JKK - link is bad.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to anon88
Sorry about the link. I tried to get the answer and found the same thing! I did not find an answer and tend to think that Mele is right on...it cannot be checked. Are you using true HP ink? I recall that for some reason, that was important, not that it answers how to check your levels.

When we had an older model, I also seem to recall that when the ink ran out was the only way to know and that unlike our newer model, there was no way to keep track of how full a cartridge was.

»h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/fo ··· location
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
..so weird - I saw the thread there for a split second..then got the "no results were found" again.

Maybe you can copy/paste the gist of it if you find it again?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
I think what you saw was a quick load of the prior question and then the result of my search with no responses. I just got the same thing. Yes. It was weird.

Inflex

join:2002-09-05
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

You can't on old HP printers.

It's in the toolbox. Even the old 600 series printers could check ink levels.

Fat City
Premium
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia
said by Inflex:

said by Mele20:

You can't on old HP printers.

It's in the toolbox. Even the old 600 series printers could check ink levels.

But if there's no toolbox, you can't check the levels. I had a 960c that wouldn't show ink levels in Win 7 because HP didn't update the drivers for that OS. It would print OK with the Win 7 native printer driver, but ink levels and other functions in the missing Toolbox were gone.

No driver software = no ink levels
--
I give you the Tralfamadorian greeting: Hello. Farewell. Hello. Farewell. Eternally connected, eternally embracing. Hello. Farewell.
- Billy Pilgrim (1922 - 2007)

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Inflex
There is no toolbox since I got XP in 2003. The HP Toolbox is a function of HP SOFTWARE which only works on the version of Windows you originally bought the printer with. I got the printer with my first computer in 1999. When I got XP, I lost 50% of the functionality of the printer. I was not even able to keep it connected to the old 98SE box and use network access to print from XP. XP refused. I could connect it via USB to XP computer and 98SE computer happily would see it and print but would still not use the HP software such as Tools because it was physically connected to the XP box. HP just told me to buy another printer and laughed at me for being so naive as to think that a printer I bought from Dell, along with the 98SE machine, would function fully on XP. My wising up started with this and then, after my experience with my Visualware scanner that only worked for one year with my 98SE computer and then could NOT work at all when I got XP, I became cynical about these companies. (If I had been told up front that the scanner I bought would not work beyond 98SE then I would have not bought it).

There may be a round about way to check without the toolbox, but there is nothing in the Printer's properties box for tools/services other than align print cartridges or clean print cartridges.

HP lies as they tout that their printers work with all versions of Windows. That is only partially true. Yes, there is a driver, and I can switch this printer to USB (although it will only work on one specific USB port and not any other), but I cannot access many functions that are in the Toolbox because it is specific to Windows 98/SE only. I cannot print in grayscale and that was a main reason for getting this printer years ago. I cannot print two sided without a big hassle of a workaround HP support gave me and they told me grayscale could never be used except in Windows 98 and there are other tools I cannot use. I felt ripped off as the printer was expensive ($300) and I had no idea back then the games HP plays with the software. (Had the printer cost $50 it would be a different story).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

hpc99

@comcast.net
said by Mele20:

The HP Toolbox is a function of HP SOFTWARE which only works on the version of Windows you originally bought the printer with.

In late 2000, got an DeskJet 932 to use on my 98SE box. When I moved on to XP Pro the printer driver defaulted to HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C and I lost the toolbox... however, I found the original HP DeskJet 930C series driver on the HP site and installed it. The toolbox returned and I have been using it ever since (XP Pro, Service Pack 3 on a Dell Dimension 8400) - So it is not entirely true that the HP Toolbox only works on the version of Windows you originally bought the printer with... at least that is my experience with the 932 series DeskJet.

Darek
Premium
join:2000-12-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to anon88
»h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/fo ··· +driver#

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to hpc99
It worked for you because HP issued an XP driver specific to that printer. HP did not do this for 880C series. Believe me, I scoured the net for a driver...even a third party one....I found one at some big driver site and read user reviews that it was junk but I tried it anyway and it didn't work. I recall a lot of complaints about HP not issuing an XP driver for us but forcing us to use the generic driver for XP. I bet it was because I bought mine in 1999 and you bought yours in 2000. Cut off for XP support was probably end of 1999 so any printer manufactured and sold before 2000 would not get XP support. I'm glad you got an XP driver and the toolbox...I'm jealous too.

This was my point about HP, Visioneer, etc that rely on software specific to one version of Windows for tools or even any sort of use of the hardware with another version of Windows. These companies should not do that or, at least, should be clear with buyers regarding the limitations.

Hmmm....I went to check in Device Manager to see what driver it is using. Device Manager says the printer is not connected to the computer. Of course, it is connected and working. Connected via USB. I don't recall it showing unconnected in the past because it is on USB....but I haven't checked it in ages.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
reply to anon88
You can buy a new printer for the cost of a black and color ink cartage for that old printer.

Sounds like it might be time to upgrades these old printers.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Yeah, but the cartridges are much larger...even after HP started filling the ones for the older printers only one-half full in 2006, I think I recall was the year, and sold as full (until they got caught and they still continued to do it but at least stopped deceiving their customers).

Plus, you can get them refilled at Office Max for $15. You can only do it once (heads will likely too dry for a second refill is what Office Max told me) and then go back to HP one, and then when it runs out, refill at Office Max (or Walgreen's) and then the next time an HP one..my irritation is the fact I can't find TriColor one here anymore (unless somebody decided to start stocking those again since I last looked).

I used to think I should upgrade the printer until I began to read how awful the newer printers are.
--

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
said by Mele20:

I used to think I should upgrade the printer until I began to read how awful the newer printers are.

Not all the newer printers are awful. When my scanner was in its death throes and refusing to create usable images, I ran across an Office Depot ad offering an Epson Stylus NX305 all-in-one for $59.95. While I've long scorned the all-in-one concept, the price was too low to resist so I bought one just to replace the dying scanner.

Once I had it connected, I couldn't resist trying the printer too although I was perfectly content with my HP 1320 B&W laser for production use. I had given up on color printing long before, when my HP 940 started spattering drops of red across the face of every print.

To my surprise, the all-in-one made great color prints in addition to good B&W work. It has four cartridges, with each color in its own, and they have high-capacity black available for not much more than the normal ones. It's by far the best inkjet printer I've ever owned, and that means since the day I gave up Sieko and Panasonic 9-pin ribbon units for an HP 500C.

The HP laser is still in service, but when my wife's color printer gave up we bought a Samsung color laser to replace it. Only problem there is the cost of toner cartridges, but they do last a long time. And they're only half the cost of HP color laser supplies, when we can find them.

I realize prices will probably be higher in HI, and the low price I paid was a model closeout, but next time I'm in the market for a printer I'll shop around, and will look at Epson's offerings first. Not all newer printers are junk -- just most of the better known brands!

And to get back on topic for the OP, the NX305 provides readouts on its own LCD of the levels for each cartridge, in addition to providing them via the printer driver for WinXP. I can't read them direct from my Linux systems but that's no big deal.
--
Jim Kyle

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to anon88
I with you Jim

I had a HP 970C or something like that and it worked fine. But i worked out of my home office and did not have much space. So when my job required me to scan copies of all receipts after my trips i need a scanner. So i got an AIO printer for about $95 bucks.

I got a Lexmark X6570 wireless and it works great. Although it don't have three color cartage's that would be nice. I also buy the 500 page black ink cartage and it last forever for me.
The Lexmark cartage's were about half the price of the HP's for my old printer.

There are many AIO printer these days for under a 100 bucks that work great, just do the research about the ink costs for the printer before you buy it.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
reply to anon88
A couple of things: Not a suggestion, but just a thought as mentioned by others, keep in mind that you can replace this printer for a newer, faster, more capable model for not much more than the cost of a full set of replacement carts. I am familiar with the 1315, while it wasn't a bad model, it was not one of their better efforts. Even the base HP OfficeJet and PhotoSmart all in ones are both faster, and capable of better quality printing as well as network ready. Any of HP PhotoSmart all-in-ones will far eclipse the 1315 in photo quality, and the HP OfficeJet 4500 with its document feeder is a better all-around printer.

I am confused in that I had no problem finding the full-functioning (not just bare-bones) drivers for the 1315 for Win 7 at the HP site:

»h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf ··· 568#N193

You also might try ordering the installation CD, I don't know, but perhaps it includes functions not in the file download?

However, as I do not have a 1315, I do not know if for some reason the ink level function has been left out. Doesn't make any sense though, since implementing it from drivers that did so in XP should not have been daunting.

Sometimes updating/replacing HP drivers can be a pain, and I would recommend deleting the existing HP drivers and installing fresh.
--
Deeds, not words