spc
Search similar:

uniqs

UhWhat
@k12.ca.us

UhWhat

Anon

Isn't a DVD sale still a sale?

Wow, so the studios don't want Redbox and others buying DVDs retail, just consumers? What idiocy.

A sale is a sale is a sale. Who cares who buys it as long as it gets bought and the studios make the money?

Sure Redbox then rents that DVD out, but consumers aren't likely to buy movies they haven't seen in the theaters or via rental so even if the consumer goes to Redbox first, it might promote a sale if the movie is worth it (or the consumer is interested in the extras that don't typically come on teh rental discs).

If monkeys ran our government and our corporations I think we'd be better off. When will Planet of the Apes occur again?

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by UhWhat :

Wow, so the studios don't want Redbox and others buying DVDs retail, just consumers? What idiocy.

A sale is a sale is a sale. Who cares who buys it as long as it gets bought and the studios make the money?

The studios won't make as much money.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

The studios won't make as much money.

That's the thinking of the studios but I think we all know that Redbox would be a new retail customer for DVDs, as most people who use Redbox and other services like these are not buying DVDs to begin with, nor would we buy DVDs simply because we could not rent them.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex to UhWhat

Premium Member

to UhWhat
said by UhWhat :

If monkeys ran our government and our corporations I think we'd be better off.

From what I've seen with the government, I think they already do.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

That's the thinking of the studios but I think we all know that RedBox would be a new retail customer for DVDs, as most people who use RedBox and other services like these are not buying DVDs to begin with, nor would we buy DVDs simply because we could not rent them.

Can't RedBox get into legal problems by buying retail DVD's and then renting them for profit? AFAIK, retail DVD's are for customer's own private viewing. RedBox might be thinking like the majority of us: once you paid for it, it's yours to do as you please, but according to studios, that may not be the case. Now, it's impossible to police when regular Joe Schmoes like us are lending them to our friends, but when a company like RedBox officially is rents them for profit, it's different.

Not that I am a big fan of what studios are doing with these delays, but IMO the only way to rent it the legitimate way is on their terms.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by Pirate515:

Can't RedBox get into legal problems by buying retail DVD's and then renting them for profit?

No.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· einstein

The warnings against renting printed on DVDs mean nothing.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to Drex

to Drex
Congressman or Senator.....................(fill in the Blank)

Of course I have always though IR Baboon looked like Rep Barney Frank.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to UhWhat

to UhWhat
Yep Netflix and Redbox buy MILLIONS of DVDs a year and yet the studios want to kill them off. REAL fucking smart. Kill off your biggest customers.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to UhWhat

to UhWhat
Boycott the MPAA & Big Content Now !!! Keep your money and don't let the greedy pigs get any of it.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to 88615298

MVM

to 88615298
Redbox and Netflix buy millions of DVDs whether they get a wholesale discount or not. The studios know that they are going to buy them regardless.