Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

Restricting purchases

Trying to restrict purchases won't work, not really. Sure, they can try, but there are so many retailers selling DVD's that it won't matter much. RedBox will simply spread purchases out among several retailers and get all they need.

These idiots really don't understand how most people choose what to watch. I don't know of anyone who will, if they can't find a movie available to rent, run out and buy it, unless they can find it in the bargain bin for not much more than the rental price. If they don't find a title they were looking to rent, most will simply choose another one, or, if they can't find another one they like, they'll either watch something they already own or simply find something else to do.

These executives have spent so much time and money telling us that their shit is gold that they've actually started believing it themselves.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

Re: Restricting purchases

No kidding. They could probably open a few Amazon accounts and buy from them and no one would be the wiser.
ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL

Amazon, Buy.com, Best Buy, Newegg, Walmart, GoHastings, Fry's, DeepDiscount.com, J&R, and many more that I can't even think of at the moment, not to mention all the local retailers.

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
said by mix:

No kidding. They could probably open a few Amazon accounts and buy from them and no one would be the wiser.

Better yet, have their employees make purchases for them using their personal accounts (either on Amazon or wherever they find best deals) and then reimburse them for the cost. They should have plenty of inventory if every employee buys 2-3 copies. Plus it's next to impossible to track where each individual shopper is employed. Most reputable B&M and online retailers don't ask anyway as it's none of their business.

And as an extra-added bonus, once the popularity of any given title dies down, they sell most of the copies as used and make some money back.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

Even better, only purchase whatever numbers Warner Brother's is allowing, and simply don't offer many to your consumers. The Red Box consumer is NOT about to go buy the DVD if they can't rent it. If some resort to piracy, it is not Red Box that is instigating this movement, it is the actions of Warner Bros.

Heck, completely dropping all Warner Bros. titles would most certainly impact Warner Bros. more than it would Red Box. If I were Red Box, I'd simply post anonymous sales of the DVD's they did purchase from other media content holders, and show Warner Bros. exactly what they were missing. Let Warner Bros. see for themselves that this strategy is foolish, and that it will not bring them any more money.

This decision brings about a tiny increase in DVD sales, if any at all, a greater demand for pirated content, further strengthening this illegitimate form of trade, with zero money being made from sales to Red Box.

It is clear, to me, that this is not strictly about today's profits, but about tomorrow's control.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by ISurfTooMuch:

Trying to restrict purchases won't work, not really. Sure, they can try, but there are so many retailers selling DVD's that it won't matter much. RedBox will simply spread purchases out among several retailers and get all they need.

Redbox has 28000+ locations. For a major new release, each kiosk can have several dozen copies. You don't go to a store and ask for half a million copies of a movie. You don't go to several stores to ask for half a million copies. You won't go to any retailer and get enough to cover all the boxes in a major city or town. Just not going to happen.
ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL

You may not get all that you'd like to have, but you can still get some. Thing is, where else is the customer going to go? I don't know if this is true everywhere, but I live in a metro area of something like 120,000 people, and I don't know of anywhere else to rent but RedBox. We used to have quite a few Movie Gallery locations, but they're all gone, and even Blockbuster closed. There is one place, but I've heard that it's primarily adult movies, so they may or may not have anything. You either go to RedBox or sub to Netflix if you want to rent. I don't know how many RedBox kiosks we have here, but they have to be stocked by someone in the area, and we have two Wal-Marts, Target, Best Buy, two K-marts, Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, and MovieStop, so there's plenty of places to get movies. The number of places may be more limited in areas with more kiosks to stock, but someone wanting to stock the ones here shouldn't have any problems. And I've never seen a sign in any of these places saying how many copies of a disc you can buy.

In fact, I read somewhere a while back that that's exactly how RedBox gets many of their movies--buying off the retail market.