how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Yeah right.

This won't drive anyone else to piracy who doesn't already know how to pirate. No one is going to spend the time waiting on a disc to arrive from Netflix or driving down to the store to go grab one out of a big red machine when they can just download it for free within minutes.

The only people who are upset about this are butthurt Netflix subscribers who are too incompetent to pirate and know they're going to have to wait or *gasp* actually pay a reasonable sum of money for their media that cost the studios millions to make!

If everyone rented and no one bought home video wouldn't exist. People who only rent leech off of buyers who actually support the studios. They make pennies from people who rent and hundreds of times more from just a single person who buys a $20 disc. When you rent you fork over your money to a middleman like Netflix, not to the people who actually made the shit you're watching.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
LULZ! Dude, You contradict! You criticize the Netflix subscriber (the viewer is telling Hollywood, lower the price, we aren't buying the greed) then call the product shit. Netflix licenses content from the studios. The studios missed the boat (What, people want quality and reasonable price??? That can't be!!).

Why you a h8ter?. Buying movies is for collectors and ____. Cost per movie with Redbox and Netflix can be $1/movie. Show me DVDs or BluRay discs retailing for $1! Supporting the studios? Where do you get this BS? Movie studios make their money on the first run and overseas distribution, and licensing. Retail movie DVD sales makes up less than ~20% of the take.
(See »www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/a···2011.php)

E.g Harry Potter Deathly Hallows made close to $400M but took in ANOTHER $85M.

There is a small percentage of movie-aficionados (and they are the Limited edition/Collector's market). The average viewer will watch a movie once. Why buy? Have little ones, and want to pacify them with a DVD over and over and over (hey VHS tape wore out, DVDs don't..well not while they are little ones), you'll get a bunch at the bargain bin at WalMart for $5 for some Disney-Direct-2-DVD crap.

Would you give me $100 for my Director's Cut BluRay, limited edition BladeRunner? $200? (hmm $150 on Bluray.com...)

Glad redbox stuck a finger up. Maybe Netflix is being more sensitive as it needs to posture to get talent for it's own distribution.

BTW, Redbox is owned by Coinstar... didn't know that.
--
Splat

New York, NY
That post is a giant mess of obnoxious and I'm not even going to bother reading it so I can formulate a response.

"LULZ!" stopped reading right there. Go back to 4chan.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

2 edits
reply to 45612019
Problem with buying all the time is the fact that theses studios are making $h!t ( pardon my French) movies and want to get paid top dollar for it. Really I cant think of anyone who want to pay $20 a pop for a movie ever time a new release comes out. Renting actually helps the buying practice. Simply have you ever said, "I heard that movie was good but do I really want to spend $20 on it?" Many of us have, And what happens you end up saying.. "let me rent that for $1 from that darn box and if I like it that much Ill purchase it retail with the extras afterwards". However for the sake of argument from a third party not knowing a thing about the underground piracy world ( cough,cough) Take that rented DVD and with a few clicks of a mouse and some crafty software you can purchase online Rip that Box rented movie to DIVX format!

Not to mention Blockbuster said to hell with this deal a month ago and is purchasing there dvds retail so there available day one so why would redbox wait 56 days? that would surely put them out of business!
»www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r···s-280467

I can agree with warner bro. that a wait time is acceptable business practice, however there wait time is NOT Acceptable by far. DVDS get released on Tuesdays so allow for the first week/weekend to pass by to generate DVD sales then the following monday ( 6 days after retail release if your keeping track) It should be available for rental. PERIOD. Fact, After the first week a DVD is released for sale, all the promos for it are off the air anyway and people ( customers) loose interest.

New York, NY
You can typically get the Blu-ray of any movie for $10-15 a couple months after release on Amazon.

Of course there's a lot of junk out there but with so much top-notch content why even bother watching the junk? There's too many good movies to watch in a lifetime, or ten lifetimes... I don't understand why people complain about crap movies. No one is forcing you to watch them.

This move will force impatient people who don't care about owning but really enjoy certain franchises to have to go out and buy instead of renting like they normally do. Plus it forces rental companies to go around the studios and go buy the movies at full retail price. Typically they get a discount buying direct from the studio; not with this method. So if it's Red Box buying up the movies at retail because of the delay or an end consumer, the studio still wins all the same.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
said by 45612019:

Plus it forces rental companies to go around the studios and go buy the movies at full retail price. Typically they get a discount buying direct from the studio; not with this method. So if it's Red Box buying up the movies at retail because of the delay or an end consumer, the studio still wins all the same.

??? Just think of this logic... If that was the case the studio could have just raised the rate they sell the DVDs at to Rental companies to a price closer to retail or actually charge retail and skip the 28-56 day wait period, simple enough. You would probably see Blockbuster and Redbox raise there rental rates from $1 to say $1.25 or 1.$50 to make up the difference. But the fact remains they did not, they rather impose a 2 month delay.

New York, NY

1 recommendation

Why raise the rates when you can get a delay equaling increased rates AND sales to consumers?

There is no way for Warner to lose in this equation. Just face the facts: they made a smart business move.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to 45612019
Really? You think if every DVD purchase ended today and people only wanted to rent that the studios wouldn't monetize that?

If you really think that, your an idiot.

New York, NY
"your an idiot" huh?

Nice grammar there, Einstein.

Amazed

@comcast.net
reply to 45612019
So what's your point? Netflix is hurting the studios. Pirates are hurting the studios. The only people who are helping are buying the DVDs/BluRays and not renting? So the people who go to the library and "rent" a DVD/BluRay are hurting the industry? Oh, if borrow a book from the library and don't "buy" it, I'm hurting the publishers?

Wow, you really don't have a clue do you? 30 years ago, the movie execs were excited has hell about the new revenue stream from Blockbuster, Hollywood Video and the assorted "Mom and Pop" shops across the nation. Just because they can't change their business model for the new technology, you call everybody else a "leech". This has been going on since the invention of the BetaMax/VHS and studios have made BILLIONS off the rentals. Why can't they adjust their model for NetFlix and Red Box to take a percentage of each movie that is "rented" either via stream or via delivery? Seems pretty simple to me.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to buddahbless
said by buddahbless:

Problem with buying all the time is the fact that theses studios are making $h!t ( pardon my French) movies and want to get paid top dollar for it.

If they are making shit movies why are so many people illegally pirating them?

The reason is that people want something for nothing. They view piracy as a victimless crime and the studios as a large entity who make a lot of money anyway.

Fact is that the film industry employs a ton of people and increasing their profits helps the economy. Don't like the price for a new release? Tough shit. Wait 60 days and rent it.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

Really? You think if every DVD purchase ended today and people only wanted to rent that the studios wouldn't monetize that?

If you really think that, your an idiot.

The studios *can't* monetize it due to first sale doctrine. The rental houses all can just go buy DVDs at retail then rent them out.